Bruising from barbell

Options
kavanaghev
kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
I am very slightly anemic and having trouble with painful bruising from the barbell on my back. Today, I even deloaded to 95lbs and still couldn't squat. I had the same issue on my collarbone when I did front squats. I'll admit I guess I am a bit of a pansy when it comes to bruise pain, but it really hurts and I am getting frustrated with not being able to lift the heavier weight I am capable of squatting. Anyone else have this issue or ideas on how to solve it? I am sort of bony on top.

Replies

• Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Sometimes I'll see red marks on my collarbone, thighs or back, but they tend to go away by the next day. A couple things that you can do is make sure you are using proper form and try using a 15 kg women's barbell if you can find one. I've read stories that women really appreciate there not being a knurl in the center of the bar.
  • kavanaghev
    Options
    I'll have my husband check my form again, thanks!

No knurl at the center of my bar, but I do low bar squats.. should I switch to high bar or rotate through low, high, and front? I'd rather not, because I think it would throw me off, but I would really like to be able to progress in my weights.

Any way I can build up the muscles on my back so that there is some cushioning there?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    All I can think of (if you're not already) is using a more narrow grip on the bar. This will squeeze your traps together and give your bar a nice ledge to sit on. I low bar squat myself but prefer to use high bar whenever I do lifts such as Barbell Step Ups or Barbell Calf Raises because I like the stability on those lifts of having the bar higher on my back. Higher is more painful for me so I do use a Barbell pad (and have NO shame in doing so). That said, if the low bar/narrow grip doesn't work then you might want to consider the pad until you can get some size on those traps (if needed?). I personally would rather see someone use the pad and lift comfortably then not use one and be in pain or get discouraged and not want to lift at all.
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Go with Leadfoot's suggestion. I had the same problem until I realized my form was off a bit. I lowered the bar and squeezed my shoulders tighter, lifted my elbows back a bit and it eliminated my pain. Good luck :)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Go with Leadfoot's suggestion. I had the same problem until I realized my form was off a bit. I lowered the bar and squeezed my shoulders tighter, lifted my elbows back a bit and it eliminated my pain. Good luck :)

exactly. i also had to learn how to scrunch my shoulders together and have a narrow grip.

every time before my set, i have to adjust to get my muscles to pad the bar. i squat 135 and very rarely have bruising. if i do bruise, it's a line thin on one side or the other due to me moving the bar slightly while on my back. kind of a pinch bruise.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    there's a really good video from Mark Rippetoe on correct position for low back squats, and one of the people above mentioned about a narrow grip, so that the bar rests on tensed muscle, not on any bones. If I do a high bar position for back squats that really hurts my neck, because the barbell is on my traps... since I switched to the low back squat barbell position like in the video, I've not had that problem. YOu have to pay close attention and I watched it several times before I could figure out what he meant and even longer to find the correct position on my self but Igot there in the end and it really does help. Especially the fact that the bar is resting on tensed muscle and not bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0
  • kavanaghev
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about making sure you are properly activating the trap muscles to provide the "padding" for the bar. One great way I've learned to activate those muscles is to get a resistance band, hold it in the middle with about six inches beween your hands (or however much you need to feel like you are working). Extend your arms out level in front of you and then pull your hands apart like you were opening a set of french doors without bending your elbow (or like you were saying "This Much" with your arms). You should feel the upper back engage and feel the shoulder blades pull together. With this you should also feel your shoulders pull back. When I set up for my squat, I do a pull under the bar and make sure those muscles engaged in the same way they feel with the band. That band work will also help strengthen those support muscles for the lift.

If you still have trouble with the bruising and find it painful even with getting the right muscle activation for the bar, there is no reason to not use the bar pad.