New person with a question.

Options
SiempreBella
SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
Hello,
I just started to train and I plan to do the princess half marathon in February. I have a few questions for the more experience runners.So I just started I have worked my way up to 2.25 miles. As I am running my back starts to hurt and so does the side of my knee. It is not the patella, but the side. Right next to the patella. ( sorry if I spelled it wrong) My second question is why can I cover more distance on someday and other days I feel like I cant even jog half a mile. Also any runner friends would be great and tips as well. Thanks for the help
Cindy

Side note, I am jogging on a treadmill.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

My first suggestion is to get properly fitted for running shoes at a specialty shoe store. They will analyze your gait and suggest the right type of shoe for the way you run. Your shoes may be the source of of your back and knee pain.

Some days, we are just more tired than others. Lots of reasons. Mental fatigue, proper fueling, sore muscles. In the early stages of a running career, it's important to take rest days. Most plans suggest running no more than every other day.

Are you following a plan, like Couch to 5K (C25K) or are you just winging it?
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Awesome that you signed up for your first race! That's a really fun one!

For the pain- as the poster above me said, it would probably help to get professionally fitted shoes. I had a very similar pain by my knee and after I got new shoes the pain went away. My patellar tendon (the tendon that runs along the knee cap) was over compensating for my bad ankles and terrible fitting shoes. That being said, it could be a lot of things, most of them very very minor and some a little more major.

I recommend following a training plan if you're not already. It'll help tell you when to rest and if you get a book (I started with a Non-Runners Guide to Running) and it helped me figure out what some of my pains were.

If it gets worse, and RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) doesn't work, it may be worth it to find a good sports/physical therapist.
  • Estrada262
    Estrada262 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Like others have mentioned, shoes are very important. I would recommend that you find a running store. They will study the way your foot strikes the ground and fit you with the proper shoe. None of the shops I have ever been too charge for this service and the shoes are not priced any differently then any other retail store.

The pain on the side of your knee sounds like a tight IT band. I would recommend getting a foam roller. I think every runner should have one. Helps to get the tightness out and it should eliminate your pain.

Following a training plan is crucial. A good plan will incorporate rest days and cross training days that will help you build muscle and prevent injury. http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3407871

I like Hal Higdon's training plans: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Good luck with your race. Get out there and crush it!
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    thank you guys very much. Now I am of to find a running shoe store. I guess going to Ross and finding the coolest pair of shoes does not work. lol Oh, I tend to jog almost every day. but Ill put in the every other day to avoid injury. thanks guys for your suggestions and helpful insights.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest you find a training plan that you like. It is really satisfying to cross of each day as you complete it plus it helps to prevent overtraining or gaining mileage too fast.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is this: running faster is not necessarily better. It's good to build a solid running foundation first, then worry about speed. I wouldn't have believed this when I first started running, but it is VERY true. When I ran fast all the time, I was often injured, especially with knee pain. Once I started training mainly by running slow easy miles, my chronic injuries went away.

Best wishes!
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I also vote for properly fitted shoes.

For your knee pain, is it medial or lateral?

I ice my knees prophylacticly after each run right after I roll myself out (foam roller is my fave!) because I had knee pain while training for my last half.

One last thing, just from my experience, try to get outside and run during your training too! I trained using mostly a treadmill and my knees and feet rebelled even with properly fitted shoes because they were not used to taking the pounding of the road (treadmills are much cushier). When I started my training this time the first thing I did was move outside. I use my treadmill when it way too hot or way too early to be out.

Good luck with your training. Running and races are addictive!
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cindy!

I also vote on running shoes. As far as the pain I cannot comment.

One thing I did want to bring up: do you have a plan to get off the TM and start running outdoors? There is a huge difference in the two so don't get too comfy on a TM. Also, don't be surprised if your first few times outdoors you find yourself disoriented with your pace. It'll happen so if you have a tracking app like RunKeeper or Endomondo that will help.

Best wishes!
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First off, Congratulations! Starting to add on miles in the beginning is tough, but it gets easier and easier. The first time I upped my miles to 5, I felt like I had lead on my legs by the end. I was slow, but I finished. Now I can run 5 miles easy and much quicker. When you're adding distance, focus first on finishing, second on speed.

As others mentioned, a good pair of shoes is key. I also did yoga and other cross-training to help build up supporting muscles (glutes, hamstrings, quads, core, calves). These were both key to eliminating the knee pain that I experienced in the beginning.

Even after more than a year of training, I have my good days and bad days. The more you train, the more you learn what pain to pay attention to and what pain you can run through. You build strategies to distract yourself when your body starts telling you to stop. It might be a smile, or a phrase you tell yourself, or focusing on music, or drinking some water. It's challenging, but rewarding and oh so worth it. You learn what to eat before a run, and when you run best.

I agree that coming up with a plan to go from running on a tread mill to running outdoors would be good as well. There are more variables outdoors, and the concrete can add a bit more impact. There's also something to covering an actual distance, and seeing your progress with markers, and being out in a beautiful area.