When to call it quits? Biking 40 miles a day non-stop...

Options
I'm an avid cyclist, true, but I usually ride only 20 miles/day. Unfortunately, I started a new job. Meaning in the mornings I bike 10 miles to a bus stop and because there is no public transportation when I leave work, I bike the 30 miles home. Most of which is uphill. So far I've had to do this almost everyday this week. Even with creatine and protein/whey powders, my legs are more and more fatigued each day. What do I do? Should I continue to bike even though I clearly need rest. What is reasonable amount of off and on time for biking (3 days cycling for 1 days rest?).... HELP!?!

Replies

• Grubbmeister276
    Grubbmeister276 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wish I had all the answers, but it sounds like you're on the right track with creatine and protein and considering extra rest. Also, you may want to look into possibilities you are burning through your antioxidants after the first hour of exercise, so teas and coffees may be helpful. You may additionally consider beginning recovery during the rides with energy gels such as GU, Clif Shots. Begin weighing other options like ride sharing, as well. I'm just repeating others' advice, though--you are biking far further daily than I do. As you continue to build endurance with cycles of strain and recovery, you will need less time between for recovery, if old age doesn't catch up with you first (hence the antioxidants).
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm not logging even close to this much mileage on a consistent basis. I hope you get some answers from people who are logging this much mileage. But if I needed to, I think I could achieve it with proper training and nutrition.

E.g., take rest days as needed. If you haven't already, up your calorie intake significantly and keep careful control of your macros. Basically you are treating your body like an engine by biking this much. Do as much as possible to maintain the engine.
  • alexvaughn23
    Options
    What are macros, exactly? I've been biking for a while on my own, so I'm pretty much a N00b. ;D
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just rest. Nutrition and macros and all that will play a small role in your recovery. Biking is like running in that they say you should increase your effort no more than 10% a week. It just takes time to build endurance, strength, and your lactate threshold (that's the point where you "feel the burn"). Your body does need rest, just give it proper rest. If you keep over training you will not see an improvement and you may make yourself sick by wearing your body out.

I'm not an expert but I bike a lot, 100-200 miles a week. And I eat a relatively high carb, plant based diet, and usually consume less than 100 grams of protein a week. And I seem to do fine, and keep getting fitter, stronger, faster. I am sure to get my rest as I think it helps much more than diet!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of riding. If you aren't used to it, definitely try easing back a bit. Do you have the option to drive sometimes? Rest is important, especially for injury prevention.

Macros (Macronutrients) are on your food diary: Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein. You may need extra sodium and potassium in your diet with all the riding you are doing. When I start getting leg cramps, I take a potassium iodide supplement as well as potassium glutamate. They are actually two different substances and the body uses them differently, but that usually takes away the leg cramps, especially in the middle of the night.

Make sure you are eating a decent amount of carbs when you get home after your evening ride. Have something like a pb and j or a bowl of cereal with fruit. Your muscles will need the carbs to repair immediately after a ride. Cycling is an endurance sport and your body's glycogen (carbs) stores will be depleted from your muscles. You need to get more back into your muscles as soon as possible after a ride for recovery.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The exhaustion is due to the sudden increase. The kind of rule of thumb for increase is 10%, not 100% :happy: However, 40 miles isn't too much for a reasonably fit individual. Make sure you eat something before you begin your trip home. I'm assuming the job isn't 7 days a week. Until your body settles in to doing 40 miles a day don't ride on your days off and take those as rest days. Also, take a break on the ride home. Do about 15 and take a break and do some stretches, maybe even walk a little just to fire off the muscles differently and eat another snack, be sure to hydrate well. Often dehydration will manifest itself as being either tired or hungry.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My commute is 42 miles round trip. Now that the weather is warmer, I will be biking most everyday except when there is fire in the sky.

I learned the hard way last year that rest is essential as I was doing the 42x5=210 miles a week commuting and then another 50 to 100 miles on the weekends. I now typically plan for one day off the bicycle every 7 days with Sunday being my preferred off day.

Having said that, there is another way to prevent overtraining and it is by using either a heart rate monitor or perceived effort (I'll assume a power meter is out of your price range as PM are well outside my price range). The idea is LSD (no not the drug) but Long Steady Distance rather than HIIT (High Intensity Intervals). That means that on most of your commute days that you will need to be pedaling well below your maximum effort. For a heart rate monitor that means not exceeding Zone 2 heart rates.

See this page for some HRM tips: http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm

You will also have to eat properly to stay properly fueled. Carbs before riding, small frequent meals throughout the day with a bunch of water to flush the lactic acid, and Protein following the day's last ride.

I am currently on Day 11 without a day off from cycling and have racked up 600 miles up to this morning. My legs are a little achy because I essentially treated Tuesday's commute home as a 21 mile time trial. So I am paying the price with my appetite and my legs. The alarms are once again set on my Garmin for the remainder of the week to go off if I exceed Zone 2.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just confirming what some of the others have said. Once you are in shape, 40 miles a day should be no problem. Getting into that shape is another matter. If you can, try a few rest days in between, say ride M,W & F and take the other days off. Then add in Thursday so that you can get 2 days rest over the weekend. Then finally add Tuesday. There are other ways to ramp up, but if you can ride 40 miles, you just need to add the rest days until your body can handle all of that work.
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    All the advice given so far is well above my pay grade, but I would like to draw your attention to a few things. 1st, what sort of bike are you riding, if it is an MTB, the effort will be greater per mile compared to a road bike. My average speed has jumped up 6-7 miles per hour since moving to a new Cross bike. I could probably squeeze another mile or two per hour out of a proper road bike. 2nd, what is your style of riding, is it aggressive, get home as quick as possible or more laid back, if you focus upon a comfortable cadence rather than grinding out the miles in a high gear you may find than you are capable of the mileage and will be better prepared for the rest of the week.

Hope you find it useful.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think it's been said already but you need to gradually get the miles up. I think over 4-6 weeks you could go from doing 3 days to 5 days a week (assuming you work 5 days a week?).

I don't think the volume should be a problem. I ride 6 days a week, (5 days commuting), with 2 interval sessions a week and 2 long mountain bike sessions a week. As long as I eat accordingly I'm fine. The thing is I have built it up over several years of consistent riding so frankly I should be able to do that.

Cumulative fatigue can creep up on you though. I like to take a rest week very few months and I always come back feeling very energised.
  • clinteckhardt
    Options
    Listen to your body (and us avid cyclists who have chimed in).

You need some rest days occasionally.
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding some glutamine to your recovery shake. I use it and I SWEAR by it! I ride a lot and it's really really rare for me to have soreness in my legs. and I do a LOT of cycling.
    Is it safe to presume you are getting at least 2 rest days per week since your cycling is mostly commuting? Just keep at it, the soreness will go away in time but do be careful to get your recovery days also.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    dont push yourself too hard, maybe a higher gear so your cadence is higher and spin more rather than pushing hard in a low gear

also what kind of bike you got/terrain is your commute?
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Interesting problem. You are quite young. Your body can handle it. I have the experience of averaging about 300 miles per week for over a year on a fully loaded touring bike. My advice is to rest when you can and don't try to limit calories initially. Your body needs to build muscle to accommodate your increased mileage. You will feel your body transform and the appetite will return to normal when the necessary muscle has been added. Mostly, enjoy the ride!!!
  • gingerbike
    Options
    I can personally attest that cliff shots are the bomb. they are high carb fuel that keep my pedals pumping. don't sell yourself too short on carbs. i know they sort of have a bad rap these days but believe me if you are riding 40 miles a day EVERY day, you should really be replacing your glycogen stores. particularly right after (within an hour) you ride.
  • tvcjosh
    tvcjosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Tons of great advice here! Glad everyone chimed in.