Classic Who

Options
jamieralph
jamieralph Posts: 45 Member
Hi,

Does anyone watch any of the classic Doctor Who stories (ie Doctors 1-8)? I remember snippets of it from my childhood (most notably the Dalek hovering in Remembrance of the Daleks). I even saw the TV movie when it was first aired, remember it being in 2 parts too. Have watched the new series since 'Rose' but have also gone back and watched the classic episodes (either online or by buying the DVDs).

Most recently I've seen The War Games and am halfway through The Horror of Fang Rock.

Replies

• weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love watching Classic Who, I've actually just re-watched a William Hartnell arc "The Unearthly child" where this all started from nearly 50 years ago... I've never been a big fan of Colin Baker and the film was forgettable at best, but it did give us that 8th Doctor tie in...
  • jamieralph
    Options
    I remember watching 'An Unearthly Child' online a few years back. I like Hartnell as The Doctor. I prob have more of his DVDs (aside from Tennant) than any other Doctor. Only have one or two Colin Baker DVDs. I know it gets slated but I really want to see the 'Trial of a Time Lord' arc. Also want to see more Tom Baker stories seeing as loads of Classic Who fans always point to him as being their Doctor.

Yeah the 8th Doctor movie was pants but it did give us Paul McGann. Hopefully we'll see him on screen again this year for the 50th but I doubt it.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    They are certainly keeping things pretty closed mouthed about who will be on the 50th. I know a lot of the classics have said they've not been invited, but I am hoping that is just PR buildup. William Hartnell was my doctor as a little girl, so I'll always have a soft spot for him, But Tom Baker is, to many, the Doctor. I think because he really embraced the role and of course he was the Doctor for quite awhile. I have always like the Ark of Time definitely worth watching if you can track it down...
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I remember watching with my oldest sister as a kid when Tom Baker was the Doctor. We need to go back and do some re-watching of Classic Who.

Is anyone watching the BBC-A specials "The Doctors Revisited"? They are spotlighting each of the Doctors, one per month. Last night was the 4th Doctor, so I was excited. My 8 year old is scared to death of him. We DVR'd it, hope to watch it one night this week if Jillian Michaels doesn't force me to collapse by 8pm.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    The specials sound awesome, sadly we don't get them in Canada :( I always loved Tom Baker and his jelly babies, one of my favourite treats as well!
  • jamieralph
    Options
    We don't get them in the UK either. :(

Yeah Jelly Babies are awesome.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love me some Pertwee :) I love how Smith has had a bit of a Pertwee quality so far in season 7B also.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    He is a little like Pertwee you are right, but I find him emulating Patrick Troughton the most, the kind of milld mannered, foolsih exterior.....
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    No, only started with Eccleston, but might give the oldies a shot ...... something to do when hubby starts working the evening shift next week :drinker:
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I remember watching with my oldest sister as a kid when Tom Baker was the Doctor. We need to go back and do some re-watching of Classic Who.

Is anyone watching the BBC-A specials "The Doctors Revisited"? They are spotlighting each of the Doctors, one per month. Last night was the 4th Doctor, so I was excited. My 8 year old is scared to death of him. We DVR'd it, hope to watch it one night this week if Jillian Michaels doesn't force me to collapse by 8pm.

I watched 1, 2, and 3 and put the 4th one on DVR. This is the one that will ring bells with me as I watched the 4th Doctor and didn't really know there was a 1,2, or 3rd until much later when I saw the movie "the seven doctors"
  • jamieralph
    Options
    I love me some Pertwee :) I love how Smith has had a bit of a Pertwee quality so far in season 7B also.

Definitely. I love how he is so obviously an alien too, just like Tom Baker.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Now that the current season is up, I've been watching some of the Classic arcs. I've seen a few from years before, mostly with Tom Baker whom my husband remembers fondly from his childhood. This time around, we tried to start earlier with The Aztecs (Hartnell, earliest episodes available on Netflix) but found it just a bit to stilted for our modern sensibilities. I might go back and try again at some point if I become a real completest, but I've got a while before I get to that point.

After that, we jumped around a bit and settled on watching the run with Sarah Jane as a companion. It'll give me a great excuse to rewatch the Sarah Jane episodes with 10, and probably finally finish up watching the Sarah Jane Adventures. Pertwee is pretty fantastic--those lace cuffs and velvet jackets are awesome.
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just finished up one of the other random shows I was watching and noticed some of the classic story arcs are on Netflix. Will have to watch them again. Havr watched the unearthly child story several times
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I've been watching the specials to get acquainted with the classic Doctors, but usually not watching the shows... just can't get into the older eppys, sadly. I thought the 8th doc movie was fine, and love Paul McGann anyway. I started with Eccleston and kept on from there.
  • misspenfold
    misspenfold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to watch it with my dad when I was a nipper (like 5 or 6). Don't remember any of the storylines, but I do remember McCoy as the Doctor and Ace, who I thought was brill!

I've never gone back to watch it because, well in all honesty I've heard/read it was a bit rubbish really, and I'm afraid if I watched either mccoy or earlier series' I'd be disappointed and my idea of how good it was would shatter.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hrm... a quick update to say that the completist in me was stronger than I thought. I found An Unearthly Child and started watching it, and then moved on to The Daleks. I have to say, I'm having a blast watching some of these tropes for the first time ("bigger on the inside!", the Doctor lying, the first time the Doctor meets the Daleks, etc.). Yes, they're very early-60s serial TV, but so far I'm really enjoying them.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Hrm... a quick update to say that the completist in me was stronger than I thought. I found An Unearthly Child and started watching it, and then moved on to The Daleks. I have to say, I'm having a blast watching some of these tropes for the first time ("bigger on the inside!", the Doctor lying, the first time the Doctor meets the Daleks, etc.). Yes, they're very early-60s serial TV, but so far I'm really enjoying them.

I'm really pleased you are enjoying Hartnell, I thought he was brill and if you can get past the dated tv, the story is all there, and it kind of puts everything else into perspective...