Barbell or Pendalay row, what's the difference?

Options
dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
I would like to know which row most of you are doing and what is the difference and which is the better of the two as far as results?
Also, which muscles are they working?

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Pendlay row - it uses your upper back muscles very effectively, and is more satisfying than a bent-over row, IMO. It's also kind of fun to have at least one explosive move in the workouts. Makes you feel very powerful! Your legs and glutes have to work to, keeping you steady and in the right position. I found the video and breakdown of the Pendlay row on the Stronglifts site to be very helpful.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Glenn Pendlay explains it himself in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

Mark Rippetoe also describes this as the proper way to do a barbell row in his book, SSBBT3. Saying that it helps engage the quads and glutes more so than the other way.
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That was a good video.

My back was hurting yesterday after these, and I'm maxing out on this before any of the other moves. Is that normal?

I need to be careful with this one!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Well I have been doing this wrong. Think I may have to deload and work on form. Thanks for the video.

OP thanks for the question I never would have seen this if you didn't ask:flowerforyou:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    That was a good video.

My back was hurting yesterday after these, and I'm maxing out on this before any of the other moves. Is that normal?

Focus on building core strength, and deload until your back is caught up and no longer hurts. I take my rows up by 2.5 lbs per week and that's it, because my core and upper body are so weak. They're highly effective though. But, they are an upper body row, and so you can realistically expect to increase them like you would bench presses and overheads, rather than like you would squats or deadlifts.

Also, Pendlays are supposed to be a quick, explosive pull, so stabilization of your lower body and core is paramount so you don't strain a muscle or disk or whatever as you go a-yanking. They're an Olympic row, not a body building row, and as such they're geared towards training both strength and power.
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    That was a good video.

The form for this one feels kinda odd at first. And it's a lot harder than I thought. Before SL I was getting pretty good at seated bench dips, with elevated feet and small weight...... So I thought this would be easier than it really is.

With my squats though, I had to deload from 35 to 30 until my back didn't hurt and my form was good. So, I am only at 50# with them after a month. But finally able to do them without needing a heating pad and ice the next day.