Xbox.... 1

Options
Are you serious, Microsoft?

This whole thing screams, "We want to take your money - and then take MORE of your money!"

No way - not buying their consoles anymore. Way to show the middle finger to your customer base.

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Well at least they lived up to my expectations. It's no surprise given their general move towards the "gamers, who are they? People buy our hardware for Zune and movie rentals, and they like paying for ads" ethos that's been crippling 360 for the last few years. It's quite alarming really, it's like MS have just looked at what Sony were doing in 2006 and said "we should do *that*", and Sony have looked at what MS were doing in 2005 and said "we should do *that*".
  • stitchywitch
    stitchywitch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yup... I had a 360, but I got tired of the lack of decent games. Definitely going back to Sony after this. Seems like Microsoft is looking to market the console to non-gamers (like the original Wii) but I am not sure this is the right tactic.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Their used game model, paying a fee to use on friend's Xbox, etc etc is making me say no to this. I don't like it one bit.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an interest in the new xbox, I don't think I will ever buy another Playstation either, the PS3 was terrible, the online was complete garbage and I only ended up buying 1 game for it(MGS4). Never found another exclusive worth my time, trying to play COD on playstation was like pulling teeth when you were with friends, someone would always get kicked out at some point and we would have to call each other on our cell phones to get back into a party lol

This gen the Xbox destroyed the PS3 but all the ads and Kinect integrity crap killed it for me near the end. Maybe I will buy a WiiU and a gaming rig...
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Sticking with my 3DS.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The reason I bought a PS3 - it was cheaper than a 3D Blueray player & could surf online. Oh, and God of War.

I JUST upgraded my old 360 fat box for the newer Slim model thru their Online 2yr contract deal (IE: got an 360 250gb Slim for $100 for signing up to Live for 2 years @ 14.99 - i was paying 11.99 a month, so the difference was cheaper than paying full price).

After reading the horror of the new One....

I think I may stop playing games

I haven't bought a new game in 9 months - why? The price, almost all new games run $59.99 +/-, the longer you wait the cheaper, but I often go and get them 3-5 months later used @ 30-60% cheaper.

I NEVER loan and my friends don't even HAVE consoles....

I'm sickened by this crap
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options
    But with this new policy they might be able to drop game prices across the board, they lose a lot of money to used games when you think about it. Steam does it and no one seems to care...
  • PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    So the plot thickens.......

Cliffs Notes: Yes there will be a "fee" but it will be the game shop owners that pay it, not the consumers.

From: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-this-is-how-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently

You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

(Updated version above)
    Original story: If you want to trade in an Xbox One game you will need to find a shop that has agreed to Microsoft's terms and is therefore connected to the Xbox One cloud.

The game will be registered as traded in and will be wiped from your Xbox Live account. The shop can resell it for whatever price it likes but the game's publisher now takes a cut and so does Microsoft, a source-based MCV report revealed.

Anyone buying that second-hand game will need to pay an activation fee of £35, a separate unconfirmed report on ConsoleDeals.co.uk claimed.

Presumably.
    The same report [did not say a shop's cut from that second-hand sale could be as low as 10 per cent -Bertie] said shops could be forced to sell second-hand games at a maximum discount of 10 per cent.

Combine that measly 10 per cent discount and the £35 activation fee and you have figures that add up to not much sense at all for the shopper.

Aroooo! The inside story on Call of Duty dog motion capture
    Colin hates spandex and booties but is fine with stickers. "We have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," said Microsoft on the matter.

We know that Xbox One games will be tied to both a gamer's account and their Xbox One. Everyone who has an account on that Xbox One can play the game linked to it. If the game is played elsewhere on another Xbox One, however, only the owner's Xbox Live account can play it.

Rumours of an activation fee are what we believe has been holding Microsoft back from explaining second-hand Xbox One sales so far. Whether that's because the fee is high, as claimed here, or because there are specific retailer partnerships to announce, as also suggested here, isn't clear. Both, perhaps? E3 should clear the matter up, unless Microsoft's forced to respond sooner.
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I actually work at a local game shop called Double Header, and I have to tell ya that we are not happy with what we are hearing. Work aside I'm still willing to give the 1 a shot. I'm holding out hope because I have always preferred Xbox over PS.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options
    It just means gamestop will only give you $1 for a game instead of $10 and sell it for $35...
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    It just means gamestop will only give you $1 for a game instead of $10 and sell it for $35...

Truth...
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    We still know next to nothing about how everything is going to work, what the game lineup is going to be, as well as anything else.

But hey this one feature that I might not like is going to totes ruin it for me.

Jumping to conclusions man AWAY!!!!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed. I'm guessing that a lot of what we know now will be different when this box rolls out.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    This is amazing!!! Finally I can watch TV on my TV

:smokin:
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    I do sincerely hope when E3 comes around, they walk out on stage and are like, " sorry folks, we just wanted to see what kinda reaction our fanbase would provide. This is what the "REAL" new xBox is gonna have... "

However, i'm not holding my breath either...
  • jmmcs
    jmmcs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going with the PS4 this gen. The thing about not being able to borrow/rent/etc is quite annoying, and I'm not particularly interested in using a gaming console to watch tv
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Looking like my PC is going to see more loving. Who knows if the PS4 has the same used games policies as the XBOX1. E3 should be interesting I'd say.

http://kotaku.com/sony-wont-answer-these-questions-about-ps4-drm-and-use-510477281
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Newest thing I read (of course doesn't mean it is true) was that when you watch cable programming, the Kinect sensor will monitor your heart rate for various marketing purposes. Just feels so invasive to have that thing just keep watching your every move. I am sure this is not something you can't turn off but my god how much more could they possibly do to jeopardize our privacy.