Click Noise

Options
bikingpanda
bikingpanda Posts: 68 Member
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight. I have a used Giant OCR2 that I bought earlier this year. This past week and a 1/2 I was busy and did not have a chance to get out until yesterday. When I first started peddling, I would get a click/creaky noise. It sounds like it may be coming from the pedals, but I am not positive. It only lasts a couple or rotations and then it stops. Sometimes If I put a some pressure on the pedal, while turning for instance, it would start back up and then go away. I swapped out my Clip-less pedals to my old toe clips and the same thing is happening. The first couple of pedals has the click noise and then quiet. Anywhere else I should be looking before bringing it in to the bike shop?

Replies

• goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Try looking around the front fork area.

I had a recent noise that I thought was down to pedals, as it was always when putting the hammer down (not when turning pedals by hand) - but it turns out it was from the top of the front forks - I never thought about it at the time as I was fixated on the pedal area, but when pushing on I would naturally push forward and put more pressure over the front of the bike.

There was some old salt and crust in the joint - cleaned up and its all good again.
  • bikingpanda
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely check that out.
    Try looking around the front fork area.

I had a recent noise that I thought was down to pedals, as it was always when putting the hammer down (not when turning pedals by hand) - but it turns out it was from the top of the front forks - I never thought about it at the time as I was fixated on the pedal area, but when pushing on I would naturally push forward and put more pressure over the front of the bike.

There was some old salt and crust in the joint - cleaned up and its all good again.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I would also check your crank. When my crank gets a little loose I get a clicking sound especially when I am really hammering on the pedals...
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Or........

Bottom bracket...

/twopenceworth
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, found out it was from the seat stem no being tight enough and not enough lubrication around it. Only found this out as I took it to the LBS and they went over it until they discovered where the noise was emanating from.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Or........

Bottom bracket...

/twopenceworth

I vote for this.
  • bikingpanda
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. When I try mashing down on the pedals after I am going I do not here the noise. But in the drive way rolling down hill I will start to pedal and I will get it once or twice and then it disappears.I put the bike on the trainer last night and I still herd the noise. Its only when I first start peddling after a few minutes of inactivity. So maybe something needs to be lubed. On a side note, I did tighten my seat and my water bottle cages to be sure that was not the problem.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. When I try mashing down on the pedals after I am going I do not here the noise. But in the drive way rolling down hill I will start to pedal and I will get it once or twice and then it disappears.I put the bike on the trainer last night and I still herd the noise. Its only when I first start peddling after a few minutes of inactivity. So maybe something needs to be lubed. On a side note, I did tighten my seat and my water bottle cages to be sure that was not the problem.

My husband and I both have Giant FCR 2's (they're probably 5 yrs old now) and he's had some clicking with his. We never figured out the cause, but it was take care of at it's annual tune-up. If it's new I'd just pop into your shop, I'm sure they'll take care of it!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Just had something similar on my new Dolan - slight clicking for a couple of pedal strokes whenever I "put the hammer down" -

I've had the chain off + cleaned all the transmission - no change

Re-adjusted all the indexing of gears etc. - no change

checked the Headset for movement, cleaned, re-greased, re-adjusted + torqued to correct values - no change

Checked/Re-torqed up pedals - no change

Swapped out wheels for another pair - no change

Removed,cleaned, re - carbon assembly pasted and refitted seatpin - no change BUT

while holding/twisting saddle to get exact saddle height I noticed the exact noise I'd heard so many times on the road.

removed/inverted saddle and gave the sockets where the saddle rails enter the saddle hull a quirt with PTFE spray lube (GT85) - refitted. SILENCE IS RESTORED...

Moral of the story is - don't ignore the noises - treat them as an excuse to give your bike a complete fettling :laugh:
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I ride the bike and had the same type noise. LBS found out it was in the steer tube. They tightened it up and not had a problem since.
    Hope that helps.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    By partner said you should take it to the bike shop, it might be the bottom bracket needs removing, cleaning and reassembly, but you need special tools and knowledge to do that..
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Hi there - I raised this question with my BF who's the mechanic of the Giant distributor here.

His suggestion aligns with your thinking - lube the jockey wheels & BB area (no need to dissemble) with motor oil/engine oil, lube the chain with your regular chain lubricant.

The jockey wheel is because they expand from the heat generated by the rotations when riding so vice versa they "shrink" when they are cool/no movements & become a bit rusty in the first few rotations if not well maintained.

If this problem persists, better get a bike shop to help as a lot of things can cause this.