Self Sabotage

Options
k150237
k150237 Posts: 16 Member
So, I started the day off great yesterday, determined to get through the day without sabotaging myself, did a 30 minute walk during lunch at a good healthy breakfast and lunch. Then I get home......... I'm making dinner, then the snacking binge came on. Damn! Why do I do this to myself? It makes me mad!
Today is a new day. Gonna keep trying till I figure it out.
I set 4 alarms today on my cell phone. All with different titles, "NO!", "DON'T DO IT", "JUST STOP", "TREADMILL"... Let's see if this helps keep me focused.

Replies

• dcarbeno
    dcarbeno Posts: 22
    Options
    That is a really good idea!
  • mrg68
    mrg68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ha!! LOVE the iphone reminders! I might have to try that. I do the same dern thing to myself. Especially if I am just worn out or stressed. I THINK it will make me feel better and it does...for about 10 minutes. Then I feel even worse!!! I am trying to be sure that I don't go home hungry. I am a teacher so my biological clock has ALWAYS needed a snack after school (Thanks, Mom!!!) so I pack my own snacks and try to stick with them. Most of the time, I do. Also, I try very hard to keep the stuff that I will binge on out of the house. For me, that isn't too hard. I am a sweet tooth (literally a walking tooth, dipped in cake frosting!!!) so I will take to a bag of oreos or tubs of cake icing like no body's business. Sad, I know!!! So I've decided that IF I need those for something I'm baking for my boys, I will give the rest to them or the dog. I will NOT let it sit in the fridge or pantry EVER again!! Surround yourself with good stuff. Also try drinking a big glass of water (BIG!!) before you start supper. Then, make yourself THINK before you grab a snack. Think, "Is this REALLY worth the calories? Am I really hungry or just bored or tempted?" It may not always be the answer you want, but sometimes just stopping to think about it will make you choose otherwise. Also, if you feel temped, go back and look at your diary. Maybe the good choices you've made all day will help you make better choices. And, try exercising before you fix dinner. if you're hot and sweaty and feeling good, you won't want to spend those well earned beads of sweat on unhealthy snacks. I think that is what I am really missing. My schedule with my boys is limiting my exercising and I'm not feeling as strong and in control. As soon as school is out, I will get back to it. And finally, let today go and start again with each new day. That is my favorite part of MFP. I used to do Weight Watchers and when I'd screw up, I felt I had to wait all week to start new again. Not so, here!!! Every day is a fresh start!! Hope some of this helps!! I'm going to add you as a friend so maybe we can help each other through those moments!!!
  • daybreak0723
    daybreak0723 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ha!! LOVE the iphone reminders! I might have to try that. I do the same dern thing to myself. Especially if I am just worn out or stressed. I THINK it will make me feel better and it does...for about 10 minutes. Then I feel even worse!!! I am trying to be sure that I don't go home hungry. I am a teacher so my biological clock has ALWAYS needed a snack after school

I'm also a teacher, and I understand the demands of balancing a new healthy lifestyle with the demands of teaching. I'm going to add you and we can keep each other encouraged.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group. My name is Stephanie and I live in Texas. I also know how hard it is to plan when busy . I am a Nurse and mother of 4.
    I have to work extra hard on the weekends to prepare healthy things to have available in the week. I used to have a bad habit of stopping at Sonic to get the kids a snack on our way to their activities. Now I Have healthy snacks in the car ready to go so I save calories for them and myself and saving money as well.
    I agree that if you surround yourself with only healthy options when you are at your weakest (tires and stressed) you tend to make a better choice. Remember however that we are human and if you slip, it will be ok. You did the right thing by reminding yourself often.
    Hang in there! Keep up the great work!

Also, way to go mrg68-Wow! 80 pounds. This group is truly and inspiration.
  • k150237
    k150237 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. For the last 2 days I've been making sure I have a healthy snack mid morning and mid afternoon, not allowing myself to get "hungry", and when I have a craving, I've been "waiting" it out. So far I've managed to get busy with something that I forgot about the craving.
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, that time is awful for me too!

I've been chewing gum on the way home lately. Gives my mouth something to do other than me putting food I don't need to eat in it!
  • emilyahartmann
    emilyahartmann Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, nice to hear I am not alone! :) As a social worker and Mother of a 12 and 15 year old my life gets crazy! I try to carry healthy snacks with me during the day as I go, go, go. Evenings get harder :/
  • lafrasco
    lafrasco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Like Emily said...it's nice to know I'm not alone! I am feeling really disgusted with myself right now! Last year I lost all the weight and was feeling great! Vowed to NEVER gain it back and to always stay healthy and feeling good. I felt good physically and mentally and thought it was a lifestyle that I would strictly adhere to. Well, guess what? Yes, I've gained it all back and I feel miserable again. It's swimsuit season and we leave on vacation next week and I can't even put on a swimsuit! But, your encouragement has helped this morning. Today is another day and if I want to feel better, I have to, as Nike says, JUST DO IT! Healthy eating for me today!