How did everyone do this weekend?

Options
From the intro post it seems a lot of us have issues with the weekends! I guess that comes with not having a lot of weight to lose, we probably feel like we don't have to be 'on' 100%. Well at least I think that is what part of my problem is.

I did ok this weekend, but more on the side of bad. I had healthy breakfast and snacks for the most part of the day but then I drank like fish and had late night pizza....ugh. I did make myself gor for a run one day. The beach weekends are REALLY hard for me. I need to figure out a better plan of attack for this summer!

Maybe we can all compile some of our best weekend tips or have a 'challenge' each weekend. An example of a challenge would be 'eat 4 veggies/ day' or 'workout each day for at least 20 mins'...thoughts?

Replies

• happyjacdolan
    happyjacdolan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Major fail this weekend. Saturday I did okay, but Sunday and Monday I did not log and ate whatever I wanted. Weekends are my downfall. Would love to hear everyone's successful weekend ideas!
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was without a car after Saturday. I woke up Sunday morning maintaining (better than gaining!) then did well - yard work, two meals, a brisk walk (to the liquor store...). Monday was the fun day - my boyfriend keeps crazy hours and likes to eat late so all the good I do is undone. It is a drag. :frown:
    I try to do my best in anticipation of the time we spend together.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I went off the rails this weekend. I think you are spot on, K... not having much to lose makes me think I have more wiggle room. My weekends are when I allow myself to relax a bit, but this weekend was too lax. My sweet tooth was out of control for a couple of days.

On a positive note... I can and will bounce back from the weekend starting today. I am in the middle of a 24 hr fast and can't wait to get back to the gym in a couple of hours.

As for weekend plans of attack, some of my ideas/experiences...

* I have been lazy logging my weekends. Inevitably, I eat more. Do not slack in logging food.
    * Have healthy food choices around the house that are ready to eat with little or no prep.
    * Stay out of the house and/or stay busy. We all need downtime, but lounging leads to eating for me.
    * Plan for calorie balance. If you KNOW you eat more on the weekend then eat less on Friday and/or Monday. Look at your calorie intake from a weekly perspective rather than daily. This allows you to balance your intake while still living life.

So here is to getting back in a groove today and being a bit more disciplined next weekend :)
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    Good tips, moody. I need to make myself log on the weekends, that will put things into perspective for me! When you say fast for 24 hours do you mean not eat at all or do you do some sort of cleanse?
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    K, I have nothing but water and black coffee for 24 hours once or twice a week. I did have a little dairy in my coffee this morning, but usually don't even do that. I know there are different definitions for a "fast". For my purposes, it means a calorie intake of close to 0. So it means no eating at all during the fasting period :)

This is a really simple and effective way to control my overall calories. Some of the other benefits of short term fasting...

• Decreased body fat & body weight
    • Maintenance of skeletal muscle mass
    • Decreased blood glucose levels
    • Decreased insulin levels & increased insulin sensitivity
    • Increased lipolysis & fat oxidation
    • Increased glucagon levels
    • Increased growth hormone levels
    • Decreased food related stress
    • Decreased chronic systemic Inflammation
    • Increased cellular cleansing
  • Mommy2akt
    Mommy2akt Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did good on the weekend in terms of eating and exercising for the most past. I did the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD, which I haven't done for about a month, and my muscles were so sore Sunday and Monday, and can still feel it today. :tongue: I will continue with my usual walk today and then back at the DVD tomorrow. Weekends are tough though and find that planning ahead makes a big difference for me.

Hope you all,have a great week! :smile:
  • PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went to Disneyland... and ate all the churros and don't regret single one. :drinker: happiest place on earth.

(it was maybe 12+ miles of walking a day)
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    I love churros!!!! I am sure you walked every calorie off anyways :) Glad you enjoyed them guilt free - that is the best!
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    Happy Monday guys (ugh)! How did the weekend go for everyone? I was ok....made some good choices and some bad ones. I was exhausted from moving Thursday night and had to help my Mom with my sisters graduation party on Saturday so I unfortunately did not get any work outs in. Now that my move is almost done, I am really hoping my workout schedule gets back to normal.

Food wise I did ok. Went out to dinner Fri night and realllly wanted this giant gourmet cheeseburger that was on the menu but I ordered sea scallops and veggies instead...but then I ate ice cream after dinner. Food at the grad party I did ok, but then I ate too much cake/cookies. Seeing a trend here!?

Maybe next weekend we can do a group 'challenge'. What is everyone's biggest problem with the weekend? Eating or not exercising or both? I can base the challenge on the responses :)
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    K, sounds like you did fine, and the moving IS a workout.

Glass 1/2 full. I was better with food this weekend than Memorial weekend. Also managed to log everything.
    Glass 1/2 empty. I still did poorly. Friday night was a binge and ended up with about 4k calories for the day. Saturday was better but still about 1k calories over my goal. I did move quite a bit at least. I surpassed my calorie goal again on Sunday, but not by too much. Aside from some Oreos my food choices on Sunday were fine.

Not sure why I sabotage myself on the weekends. I then buckle down during the week just getting back to where I was the prior Friday. If I am going to drop these final 10 pounds, the weekends will be the key.

I like the idea of a weekend challenge!
  • lilkat_0087
    lilkat_0087 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Moving is a workout! Sounds like you did fine.

This weekend was the first in a long time that I had no binges AND got my long runs in. I'm actually proud of myself. Unfortunately I will be singleparenting-it this upcoming weekend and know this won't happen again.

I like the idea of a weekend challege too. Hopefully keep me away from the easy/crappy kid friendly foods.
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    You guys are right, my legs and bi's were sore from moving until Saturday, I was moving out of an apt which was up 3 flights of stairs in 90+ degree weather. I went up and down them carrying boxes 10+ times. Ick! I am glad to say goodbye to those stairs, that is for sure.

Kat - are you training for something? Sounds like you did awesome this weekend!!

Moody - Huge plus for even logging! You probably would have gone over even more if you did not log. It is so tough to stay on track on the weekends - we will have to figure out plan of attack!
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    K, I forgot to reply to your question about the weekend challenge.

100% eating for me.
  • lilkat_0087
    lilkat_0087 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    K - yes I have my first 10k race at the end of the month and my first half marathon in the fall.
  • Sunshine4209
    Sunshine4209 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you guys, staying on track on week end are awful, and I don't lack motivation, I live where it is sunny and it's bikini season already.
    kat, way to go on your 10K! that is a lot of running.
    Moody, I went over 1000 calories on saturday night too:(
    I need a week end challenge too.
  • Mommy2akt
    Options
    Weekends are definitely hard. I struggle with with both eatting right and working out just because our schedule is erratic and we are busy and usually end up eating out.

K - Love the idea of a weekend challenge!
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    Kat - that is awesome you are training for a 10K! I love running :) I am running a 10 miler in August on the beach - it gets super hot for this race so my goal is to feel comfortable enough with myself to run it in a sports bra (we will see how THAT goes!)

Ok so we all agree weekends are HARD! I am thinking for the challenge we can do something along the lines of
    1.) get one good workout in
    2.) eat 5 servings of fruit/vegetable each day of the weekend.

That way we aren't necessarily 'limting' ourselves, just adding something healthy that will hopefully fill us up so we don't go overboard on bad foods. What do you guys think?
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    Sounds good to me :)
  • Mommy2akt
    Options
    Sounds like a good weekend plan!,