ALERT-other cause of gluten sensitivity/intolerance

Options
wanted to share my experience with you, in case this is the cause of your issues as well....those of you having this issue come up later in life as oposed to childhood, listen up......

I have had many issues over the last 30 years, that I won't get into detail about because it is pretty personal, but 18 months or so ago, I started having weird symptoms...not knowing anything about gluten, I was just as confused as my primary care provider...after about 8 months, I had a reaction to eating bread so we all figured out at least where to start looking....this reaction became severe, with my reactions occuring 200 mins after ingestiong gluten....all this led to testing for Celiac....3 blood tests were neg, as well as the biopsies...of course they saw some things to be concerned about but it wasn't Celiac...because of bowel symptoms, I also have had 3 colonoscopies in the last 12 years...they saw problems, but said to get more fiber....anyway, botoom line is that I had a long standing Latent ANTIOBIOTIC RESISTANT STAPH INFECTION that was causing all my symptoms (the earlier issues were caused by an long standing STREP infection which had not been treated 30 years ago)....I have had various antibiotics over the years, but nothing apparently touched this issue....8 months ago I got a chronic cough that again, my medical provider didn't address...eventually I changed to a different provider who just came in and took charge...she started me out on steriods because the night before I was in the ER with an alleric reaction to strawberries...(oh, 2 weeks before I visited an allergiist who did a blood test for food allergies and I was NOT ALLERGIC TO ANYTHING)....anyway I was given an antibiotic to the increasing severity of the cough..which did not wor...so she gave me another one that is "the strongist one available"...to all our surprise, after 1 tablet, I could eat food with gluten, and in the morning no more bowel issues....this was less than 2 weeks ago when I was given this antibiotic, and now I can eat ANYTHING....the med is called LEVAQUIN 500 mg 1 tablet per day for 10 days...it is for antibiotic resistant bugs as well as plague and anthrax infections....oh and over the years, NOBODY ever checked me for bacterial infection...they just gave me meds to "bandage" whatever my complaint was...

so the STREP infection was 30+ years ago and the STAPH infection was in 2008...both lay quietly only causing small problems, that were mainly annoying, but not severe...when my body got stressed, everything went haywire.....please check into this if you are also having frequent infections...I suffered greatly thru-out this time...mostly because I didn't understand what was going on with my body and health....

these bugs caused me heart damage, diverticulitis, gastritis, low thyroid, high blood sugar, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, acute bronchitis, overactive bladder (which I think was actually a UTI), headaches, insomnia, malabsorption (found that taking 2 multi a day helped me tremendously)...as well as all the major symptoms you get with gluten intolerance....almost all of these I take meds for.....oce my body recovers, I will re-evaluate my need for these meds...and get off as many as I can....

at this moment, I only have left dry peeling lips, psorisis on my elbow, and muscle/bone pain..the pain started when I added a certain GF soup to my diet...(had soy)...I stopped eating this as soon as I saw that soy was in it...because in Dec I had a very strange and disturbing event after drinking an ENSURETARGETED NUTRITION HIGH PROTEIN SHAKE VANILLA....I was on my way to a traing, driving, and 30 mins after drinking this, I lost conciousness.....wrecked my car...thank god I wasn't hurt too bad...I know it was this, because I had the same reaction 2 days later at home when I had another....don't know why...my allergy test said I was not allergic to soy...maybe it was just the bugs...nobody knows...

anyway...please check this out if you think this may pertain to you...you just might get your life back, like I did!!!!

Replies

• FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to read everything you posted again in the morning and respond. So much of what you posted I have experienced as well so your post has been enlightening to say the least.....
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to read everything you posted again in the morning and respond. So much of what you posted I have experienced as well so your post has been enlightening to say the least.....

that's the idea....hope this helps you get it figured out...apparently this Staph bug is rampant right now in the US, and not much info on the link to these symptoms...but I did find it...I will look to see if I printed this out..medical staff nodded when I discussed my thoughts and conclusions regarding this and took notes, they learned from me this time.......I have stacks of stuff from my research in my health issues/symptoms other the last year...most of all this, I had to figure out on my own.....medical providers really dropped the ball on this one....if they had CHECKED for bacterial infection, this could have been taken care of long ago....but I think because of the length of time, this probably caused the bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics...I was given antibiotics from time to time, for other issues, I had plenty of infections over time, that this just caused them to be resistant...I'm really surprised I didn't end up in serious trouble in the hospital...as it was when I felt the fatigue, I found something that make me feel better...same thing for other issues...I got my way thru all this and was able to keep working and get the job done anyway...have to admit, I REALLY had to push myself...when I had an issue, I found the medication to bandaid the issue, and kept going.....
    you can see by my profile picture that I was given an award recently for the work I accomplished this last year (all this while I was sick) ( when I was given this award, my left cheek was full of ugly sores from when I ate some bread....had these sores for 5 months)....what I do for a living is listed on my profile page...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Given the horrific side effects I've read about from the Fluoroquinolone antibiotics (and seen first hand in a friend), I hate to say it, but I might choose the horrific food allergies. Glad you've not had any terrible side effects from Levaquin! cheers!
  • barbaramitchell101
    Options
    Given the horrific side effects I've read about from the Fluoroquinolone antibiotics (and seen first hand in a friend), I hate to say it, but I might choose the horrific food allergies. Glad you've not had any terrible side effects from Levaquin! cheers!

considering the alternative, I did the right thing...it wasn't just food sensitivities (I was neg to ALL FOOD ALLERGIES)...I was on my way to a major health crisis due to STAPH AND STREP....believe me, you would NOT PREFER what I have gone thru over the last 30 years....!!!!!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

considering the alternative, I did the right thing...it wasn't just food sensitivities (I was neg to ALL FOOD ALLERGIES)...I was on my way to a major health crisis due to STAPH AND STREP....believe me, you would NOT PREFER what I have gone thru over the last 30 years....!!!!!!!!
    Again, glad it worked out! I don't know what I would personally choose, but very glad it worked out for you!

(A dear friend of mine was bed ridden for much of a year due to Fluoroquinolone antibiotics side effects. It's been two years now, and she's not quite back to normal. I've known several others who felt they were poisoned by them, so I have kind of a bad impression of them. Didn't mean to sour your thread.)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There is a connection between celiac disease and SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) -- that is, celiac disease can result in bacterial overgrowth, which of course exacerbates the celiac disease and causes additional health problems and sensitivities.
  • barbaramitchell101
    Options
    There is a connection between celiac disease and SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) -- that is, celiac disease can result in bacterial overgrowth, which of course exacerbates the celiac disease and causes additional health problems and sensitivities.

celiac was the first to be chacked...neg
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Are you aware that any test for celiac can have a false negative? That is, you can test negative but still have it? A positive is for sure, but a negative is just a maybe.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    As a clinical microbiologist, I'm curious as to how a doctor determined that you had a long term staph infection and a long term strep infection since staph and strep are naturally occurring microbes in the human system and if you've had bacterial infections before and these were during the long term activity time of these microbes, they would have shown on your culture and sensitivity and been treated at that time. And did they do a culture and sensitivity to determine that a fluoroquinolone is the best treatment for this (as a trainer that teaches about the overuse, misuse, and abuse of antibiotics to medical professionals, I'm curious if he/she just gave you a preferred drug-which can cause future antibiotic resistance- or if he/she took the time to get a culture and sensitivity test done)?
  • piscean6
    piscean6 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have heard about antibiotics causing gluten intolerances. They dont tell you that antibiotics kill all the bad as well as the good. I take a pro-biotic now to help my gut replenish itself. I havent heard of infection causing it before, but nothing really surprises me now when it comes to food intolerances. I too have had my issues with them. I live with them daily. Im glad that you know what is going on in your body now and have an idea of what to do. Knowing is a big step. Good luck on your journey and feel better. I know doing a cleanse for me helped my system clean out itself and start over fresh and I feel a whole lot better.
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    And considering that the wheat of today is not the wheat that was traditionally grown even 50yrs ago, I'd stay FAR away from it, even if I didn't have to anymore. I have Celiac, but it took a long time getting that diagosis. I had SEVERAL negative testing before I finally got the postive.