ONE YEAR!! I made it!!! :)

As I sit here tonight and reflect upon my last baby turning 1 tomorrow I need to boast a little about the BIGGEST non-scale achievement of my whole journey here on MFP. I joined back in August of 2012 which was about 12 weeks after I had my baby. I lost about 15lbs before joining MFP and lost 11lbs within the first 6 weeks of joining. Within a month I gained back 4lbs and have been stuck at a 9lb loss ever since. I was bombarded with people tempting me on here, and other sources of the internet, to quit breastfeeding because the weight would "fall off" as soon as my body realized it no longer needed to store fat.

As much as those messages wanted to pull me in, I knew that I needed to make it to a year of breastfeeding because that was MY goal the day he was born. I was filled with so much regret after having quit breastfeeding when my first child was 3 months old and I was determined to make it to a year.

About a month ago my little guy started giving me queues that he no longer wanted to nurse during the day so we cut back to AM and PM feedings only. Nobody tells you the tole your hormones take during this time of weaning! Luckily I pulled myself out of it and things regulated after a few weeks. About a week ago I noticed that he wasn't really nursing in the mornings anymore so I dropped that feeding but he and I still really enjoy nursing in the evenings before I tuck him in to bed. I have no idea how much longer I will breastfeed him but right now I am so proud to say I made it to a YEAR!

Good luck mamas and let me know if I can be of any support!!!

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Wow! that is so amazing! I also quit nursing my 3 year old when he was 3 months because my supply diminished and it was hard. My second is 10 months now and we are going strong with nursing and still loving it. I too, want to make it to a year. I set this as a goal from day one also and cant imagine the sense of accomplishment you have. So great to hear. Fantastic job!
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    You should be incredibly proud of yourself!!! Breastfeeding is sooo much more important than losing the last lbs., and it's awesome that you were able to stick it out. They grow up so fast and it's so worth it if you are able to breastfeed. I only made it to 2 months with my first, so like you, I was/am determined to make it further this time around. My son is going to be 6 months old in 1 week and we are still going strong! My first goal was to make it to 6 months, and now I would love to make it to 1 year. It is so special and I think I am going to be incredibly sad when he weans. Congrats hun!
  • ZellyKat
    ZellyKat Posts: 15 Member
    Congrats on the 1 year mark. We hit it too just last month and it really does feel like an accomplishment.
  • waltzingaround11
    waltzingaround11 Posts: 20 Member
    Congratulations!
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Aw! So exciting! Congrats!

I can't believe people were telling you to quit just to lose weight! It's one thing if it's better for you, your baby, or your family to quit, but I don't think weight loss is a good enough reason.

I made it 13.5 months with my son, he quit because I was 16 weeks pregnant with his sister. OMG I sobbed (thanks pregnancy hormones) because he quit, I thought I would have to wean, but like you he just wasn't interested in certain feeds anymore. Juliet is now 4.5 months old and I look forward to nursing her at least a year too!

Congrats, such a special time with our young ones!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    that is a wonderful accomplishment! good for you for sticking with it!!

My goal was to get to 12 months too and honestly nursing just got easier as she is not solely depentant on the milk. We are still nursing at 20 months and it is a great sourse of bonding and soothing... I didn't plan to nurse this long, but i figure she'll wean when she is ready. I want to let her be a baby for as long as she needs and the WHO recomends nursing untl 2years...

good job sticking with it, although you certainly can wean now, don't feel like you have :-)

What ever decision you make is the right one. :flowerforyou:
  • TaraRyaz
    TaraRyaz Posts: 21 Member
    That's awesome!

I am feeling like my body is storing fat cause of breast feeding and it is so hard to decide whether to stop to help me lose weight or keep going cause she loves it! My daughter is 16 months so I have far exceeded my goal of how long to bf!
  • Annahasababy
    Annahasababy Posts: 60 Member
    Congratulations!!!! Breastfeeding is the best. I nursed till I was 3 years old! My god do I respect my mom now so much more!!!!!

I'm breastfeeding a six month old and plan to let her self wean too.
  • heidibowling
    heidibowling Posts: 35 Member
    Wow! What an inspiration you are!

I only nursed my daughter for three months because I was in grad school and my body just couldn't keep up the milk supply when I had back to back classes for 6 hours straight. I was proud that I did it until I couldn't anymore, but always wondered if I could have kept it up if I didn't have that barrier. I had wanted to nurse at least the first six month, or even a year if possible.

Now I'm breastfeeding my son, who's not quite 2 months old, and it is so exhausting, but I do think that if I stopped, I would immediately miss it. I'm a working mom, so it's definitely hard, but I am hoping to make it to at least six months with him, or a year if we can do it!

I haven't heard that your body stored extra fat when you're breastfeeding, but I suppose it makes sense. Although the extra calories your body uses to produce the milk probably help the weight loss- at least it has so far for me.

Thanks ladies for the extra motivation today- it's good to know that it gets easier when they aren't solely reliant upon milk for their nutritional needs. Maybe we will make it past 6 month after all, if that's the case. :)
  • kaybee9489
    kaybee9489 Posts: 17 Member
    Congrats mama! That's awesome!
  • Wow! What an inspiration you are!

I only nursed my daughter for three months because I was in grad school and my body just couldn't keep up the milk supply when I had back to back classes for 6 hours straight. I was proud that I did it until I couldn't anymore, but always wondered if I could have kept it up if I didn't have that barrier. I had wanted to nurse at least the first six month, or even a year if possible.

Now I'm breastfeeding my son, who's not quite 2 months old, and it is so exhausting, but I do think that if I stopped, I would immediately miss it. I'm a working mom, so it's definitely hard, but I am hoping to make it to at least six months with him, or a year if we can do it!

I haven't heard that your body stored extra fat when you're breastfeeding, but I suppose it makes sense. Although the extra calories your body uses to produce the milk probably help the weight loss- at least it has so far for me.

Thanks ladies for the extra motivation today- it's good to know that it gets easier when they aren't solely reliant upon milk for their nutritional needs. Maybe we will make it past 6 month after all, if that's the case. :)

WOW!!! You have done GREAT!! It definitely sounds like you were one of the lucky ones too that breastfeeding has "worked" for as far as weight loss! ha!

Yes, it does get so much easier, I promise! You can adjust or "train" your boobs to only produce milk during a certain time so after 6 months when your baby starts eating more solids and you only have to nurse a few times a day and its just quick 5 minute feedings it is so much more enjoyable!! You will never regret the time you spent nursing I can promise you this!! :)
  • heidibowling
    heidibowling Posts: 35 Member
    Wow! What an inspiration you are!

WOW!!! You have done GREAT!! It definitely sounds like you were one of the lucky ones too that breastfeeding has "worked" for as far as weight loss! ha!

Yes, it does get so much easier, I promise! You can adjust or "train" your boobs to only produce milk during a certain time so after 6 months when your baby starts eating more solids and you only have to nurse a few times a day and its just quick 5 minute feedings it is so much more enjoyable!! You will never regret the time you spent nursing I can promise you this!! :)

That sounds so much better than breastfeeding for 20-30 minutes every 2-3 hours! lol I'm going to try to stay strong, although I start a new job July 1 so hopefully I'll still have time to pump during the workday like I do now. It's so hard with the full-time job. Weekends are easy-peasy in comparison :)