Finally Starting SL!

Options
Skrymmorie
Skrymmorie Posts: 30 Member
So, I decided to start Strong Lifts this week. I'm fairly green when it comes to compound exercises, but I liked the simplicity of this program. I read NROLFW first, and tried it, but it seemed so much more complicated, compared to SL, which I read next.

I did my first workout yesterday, and I am so glad I did! I was back in the gym after more than a year away, and I felt great when I was done. I went with my SO and he's following a program he found on bodybuilding.com, which has him doing a ton of isolation exercises and high reps. I was done waaay before he was so I walked for a while.

I have a long way to go, tho. I'm currently at 408 lbs, and I found I couldn't squat with just the 45lb bar, so I started with a fixed weight bar at 30lbs, and plan to go up from there. Chest press almost felt easy tho, so I'm happy about that, and I did start a little lower than the 65lbs for the row. I know I'll get there too, tho. This program already feels better than NROLFW did for me, so I am looking forward to gains in strength and losses in fat. Rest today, and back in tomorrow. Actually looking forward to it. Which is a first for me, since I dreaded the gym before (used to do a lot of cardio, I hate cardio). Looking forward to making progress, and getting to a better version of myself. :)

Replies

• kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Great job getting started!!! Congrats! You will get those gains!!!
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Not sure why my post doubled...
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome! So cool you can go with your SO! Don't stop!
  • Skrymmorie
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses, I really love the support. :heart:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! You will soon understand all of our crazy obsessions with lifting all the heavy things :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    yay! it's -so- much more fun than cardio, isn't it... :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! You'll do great with SL! And don't be surprised if you don't start getting questions from your SO in a few months when he is still spending an hour + doing iso lifts and you keep getting in and out.

And I have no idea what Vegas is talking about....crazy obsessions with lifting heavy things :huh: NEVER!!! I'M not obsessed, I'm just devoted and driven to lift anything and everything heavy to demonstrate my strength :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Okay, maybe it is a little bit of an obsession :wink:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! You'll do great with SL! And don't be surprised if you don't start getting questions from your SO in a few months when he is still spending an hour + doing iso lifts and you keep getting in and out.

And I have no idea what Vegas is talking about....crazy obsessions with lifting heavy things :huh: NEVER!!! I'M not obsessed, I'm just devoted and driven to lift anything and everything heavy to demonstrate my strength :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Okay, maybe it is a little bit of an obsession :wink:

Everything she just said. :smile: And welcome!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Enjoy this is a new way of life. I just started a month ago and this group is amazingly supportive! The best part is when everyone is tired of hearing about your workout we still want to hear more. Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Enjoy!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group--it's so good to find an activity that you look forward to!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Nice to have you among us. I´m fairly new too, two months in. It get addictive!!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I hate cardio too! Keep us posted on your progress.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I love lifting! It's helped me focus on what my body can do, rather than on how it looks. It really has helped me get off the crazy train.

I've changed my lifting program more times than you can shake a stick at (and am about to change it again), but I'm still lifting the same barbells in the same garage, getting stronger all the time, squatting, bench pressing and deadlifting away. And that's all that matters to me in the end. /flex
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    welcome to SLs....and lifting heavy things... and feeling good about it!!
  • Skrymmorie
    Options
    Couldn't make it to the gym today, so I borrowed my brother in law's barbell set. its dinky, but with me being so much of a beginner, it worked ok for now. squats, deadlift and overhead press, oh my. lol. actually enjoyed it tho! won't be able to use it much longer tho, as it only goes to 60lbs. c'est la vie. Happy lifting!
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    one question, I'm figuring out this program, the three exercises we are doing, are you doing the three exercises for 5 reps then repeating each set of three 5 times??
    Louise
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    one question, I'm figuring out this program, the three exercises we are doing, are you doing the three exercises for 5 reps then repeating each set of three 5 times??
    Louise

You start with squats, do 5 sets of 5 reps of that exercise.
    Then you do the next exercise (Bench press for A, OHP for B) and do all 5 sets of 5 reps.
    Then move to the last exercise (Rows for A, Deadlift for B) and again, do all 5 sets of 5 reps with rows or 1 set of 5 reps for Deadlifts.

So focus on one exercise at a time. Rest periods should be between 1 min and no more than 5 min between each set of each exercise. If you haven't read the summary Tameko pinned up http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary and watched the videos (links are in the summary), I would suggest reading that and watching the videos to see how the program is designed to flow.
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I read NROLFW first too. Then SS. I've only been lifting for five weeks and was so weak I only started adding weight last week, but I am already seeing and feeling a difference. Go girl!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    well done! I dont lift quite as heavy as people here, at least not yet, but have been seeing results...... It is a brilliant way to lose inches.... welcome!