Why you should date a geek

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
In honor of May 25th Geek Pride Day,
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/999499-happy-geek-pride-day-may-25th
Ten reasons to date a geek! by Harry Mylonadis
http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2012/03/04/geek-love-10-reasons-to-date-a-geek/

We’re Loyal
Loyalty runs in our veins. If a geek can be so loyal to their favourite gadget manufacturer, operating system, TV show, movies, fantasy heroes and so on, imagine what happens when they meet that special person. To top that, when we are in a serious relationship we feel like “the chosen one” and that’s something you just can’t risk losing.

We’re Caring
Just observe how a geek treats something that they love. Be it their gadgets, their collection of any sort (I love my CPU collection) or even their job. Look at how meticulous they are. You can be sure that when a geek loves you, they will give you all the care you need and make sure that you have everything.

We Don’t Create Problems, We Solve Them
Problem solving is our way of life. We are always looking for problems that need to be fixed and then find a solution. I think my wife is pretty happy that whenever a problem comes up, I’ll give it my best go to fix it. Of course the path to fixing it can be a bit chaotic and geeky (searching online, trial and error, zapping yourself from an open circuit) but the result pays off.

We Like to Listen (even though we may drift away)
Our brain usually runs at full speed and this can be a good and bad thing. The good thing is that we will listen to your problems for hours. The bad thing is that from time to time we might drift away and think about how we will solve the problem that’s killing our project. But hey, at least we are good listeners.

*Side-note: I have developed a very sophisticated filter that allows me to drift away while still paying attention for key words. That way I’m never caught off-guard.

We’re Creative
Even if a geek doesn’t realise it, we are inherently creative. Not in the “traditional” sense (most of us can’t draw, paint etc.) but in the more useful sense. Just last week I created an awesome pop-up Valentine’s card for my wife that was pixelated, double-points for me!
vday.jpg

We’ll Search Very Hard for Your Present
Check idiosyncracy #5 from my previous post (I’m a Geek and it’s not my choice). This is not just for things that we buy for ourselves. Once we know that we need to get a present, then we go into searching mode. When I need to get a present for my one-and-only I check websites, read reviews, opinions, forums and anything else I can get my hands on, until I find the perfect gift.

We Learn Everything
The fact that we can’t stop learning new things can be very beneficial for you. If someone would normally say “How the hell should I know?”, the geek will not say anything and will try to find the nearest web touchpoint so they can search and learn the answer.

*Hint: This also applies to intimate situations.

We Can Adapt
You know how you’ve sometimes been in situations where your other half would act their own way and sort of embarass you? Well fear not, geeks have always had to adapt to their environment. This means that we can fit in every situation and always make you proud.

We Are Easy to Please
Present? What present? As a geek I make sure that I have pretty much everything that I need to satisfy my geekiness. If you are looking for a present for me then you have two choices. First, get me something that means something (even if that’s a hug). Second, just pick one of my interests and get me anything related to that, I’ll definitely like it (Vintage CPU anyone?).

No Sports Night
To this I will have to apply the 80/20 rule. Basically only 20% of geeks are interested in sports. If you hate sports night and all the shouting at the TV, then you won’t have to bear with it. Of course this doesn’t mean that you won’t have other themed nights. We have Dexter night, other’s have Star Trek night, you get what I mean.

I'd post one for "why you should date a female geek" but I don't want competition >.>

Replies

• Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Very good read... And I agree with most of it!

Oh, and C.... Grats for losing over 200. You continue to inspire and amaze me!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I approve of this message.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I approve of this message.

X2 million lol
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Awwww! I love this! Geek approved!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I have never encountered a geek lover in the wild.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    love this post. I gotta admit that ready this i was nodding my head at everything and realized that I am in fact a geek myself. :laugh:
  • lacroyx
    Options
    I have! Last one I saw this cute red head in one of the fitness classes I take at the gym. She was wearing a Superman Under Armour workout shirt. I felt like a creep because I think she caught me looking at her once and I haven't since. Plus I think she is taken. :frown: All the cute ones are taken or live too far away. :sad:
  • lacroyx
    Options
    Very good read... And I agree with most of it!

Oh, and C.... Grats for losing over 200. You continue to inspire and amaze me!
    happy-oh-stop-it-you.jpg
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have! Last one I saw this cute red head in one of the fitness classes I take at the gym. She was wearing a Superman Under Armour workout shirt. I felt like a creep because I think she caught me looking at her once and I haven't since. Plus I think she is taken. :frown: All the cute ones are taken or live too far away. :sad:

Awww <3

and, love this! 'twas a good read :)
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options

I love geeks. And nerds. And dorks.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

I love geeks. And nerds. And dorks.

Yup ......I can get them to do all my nerdy stuff no problem lol
  • nhsoprano
    nhsoprano Posts: 129
    Options
    I never realized how much of a geek I am until I started dating E. Whenever I quote Star Wars (yeah, it's like all the time :blushing: ) he gives me the blankest look until he figures out what I'm talking about and then laughs and calls me his beautiful little geek.

I guess I'm ok with it since he calls me beautiful and I don't actually think being called a geek is an insult :laugh:
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Geeks and nerds are completely the best to date. They are super passionate about topics that are incredibly interesting. They were never the "cool kid", so they are usually pretty down to earth and easy to talk to. They understand that some weekends you just have to stay in and watch Firefly or some equally geeky/nerdy show. They appreciate ironic t-shirts. There has been a significant lack of nerds in my life lately, it's kind of a bummer.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by geeks and nerds for most of my life. I don't know if it's my lifestyle, or my location but most of my girl friends are nerdy.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options

If this is true, you're likely not looking in the right spots... or asking the right questions.

#StarGateAddict #FemGeek #Enginerd
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

If this is true, you're likely not looking in the right spots... or asking the right questions.

Clearly I am not. It is rare enough to encounter another geek in the wild, even moreso that I've found girls that LIKE geeks.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Clearly I am not. It is rare enough to encounter another geek in the wild, even moreso that I've found girls that LIKE geeks.

You're in the LA area - COMICON. Don't have to actually go, just wear appropriate geek attire and hang out at a near by bar/pub/gaming store. ;)
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

You're in the LA area - COMICON. Don't have to actually go, just wear appropriate geek attire and hang out at a near by bar/pub/gaming store. ;)

My sister and I go every year for the past twelve years.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    :-)
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Geek love : )

The only people I seem let into my inner friend circle are geeks. My favorite just gave me an extensively researched gift- this list is super true.