New to the group, check in here

Options

Replies

• khoff170
    khoff170 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kris, 46, and just joined MFP last week. Working to get healthy and stay healthy because I sure feel better when I'm fit. Really surprised at how MUCH food I eat - the daily tracker is a very usefully annoying thing! So - I'm currently fighting a cheeseburger craving from my desk at work and glad to have found this group! Feel free to friend me - it's always good to give & receive support!
  • daybreak0723
    daybreak0723 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you both! There is amazing support here and you will also find great ideas, recipes, and help on a variety of topics. Good luck! You can do it!
  • Kissynn
    Kissynn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 45 with a 7 year old son. Trying to be more healthy for him. I welcome any encouragement.
  • daybreak0723
    daybreak0723 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 45 with a 7 year old son. Trying to be more healthy for him. I welcome any encouragement.

What a great reason to be healthy! Good for you. Sounds like he has an amazing mom!
  • greenredc
    greenredc Posts: 1
    Options
    42 year old with an 18 year old son. Really want to lose 10kg but due to back problems have had to stop running until I recover fully. Weight just piles on and I then get into the negative spiral (feeling down and eating more). I want to get fit and eat less of the bad stuff so I'm hoping this is where it's going to happen, usually I can keep this up for 1.5 weeks max (filling in food eaten and exercise done).................Any tips on how to stick with it for a month or 2 most welcome?
  • JenniferTate
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm so happy to have found this group!

My name is Jenn and I turned 40 on April 4 of this year. I'm working toward loosing about 26 more pounds and then possibly another 20, but having fibromyalgia, my main goal is to keep active and get healthy and then stay healthy.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting to know you all! :)
  • marva1127
    marva1127 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group this past week as well. I can identify with your post. I have tried so many mainstream and odd diets in the past from the watermelon diet to the cabbage diet and have had short lived success because those diets are not realistic. I've also tried some mainstream ones (e.g. WW, Nutrisystem, The Cookie Diet) and have regained weight. I find that the support here at MFP and "realistic" approach to changing one's lifestyle will be more beneficial to me because I will have the tools to take and keep the weight off. Good luck in your journey.

:wink:
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am turning 40 this December and middle age spread has hit me full force! I have three kids: the oldest is almost 18 and the youngest will be turning 3 this summer. I need to lose about 35 lbs. I have been so down about my body and aging for the last 5 or so years. It feels like my hormones changed overnight and I am hoping that losing this extra weight will help me feel better about myself and also bring new life to my marriage, if you know what I mean! So glad to finally be making this commitment.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow 40-something Goddesses!

I'm Nirvani, 44 year-old, and have been active on MFP for over a month now and going strong. I believe these should be the best years of our lives. I am here to be inspired and to inspire! Positive energy is crucial to success:)

Love&Light,
    Nirvani
  • Maldal789
    Maldal789 Posts: 10
    Options
    Good morning. I'm new to the group. I started MFP a couple of months ago, but seem to keep gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. Looking forward to continuing on this journey with some other fabulous 40 year olds.
  • JenniferHamner
    JenniferHamner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 45 and would like to lose 30 lbs. I am from Alabama but now living on the MS Coast. I am a single mom who works fulltime with 3 kids, 14, 10 and 8. It is hard going home and cooking for them and not snacking while cooking. And by the time I get them down for bed, kitchen cleaned up,.. it is 8- 8:30. I don't feel like exercising.
    I have some good excuses, don't I??

I have always been up and down on the scales but now am really up!
    I need motivation from others because it does seem harder now.
    I have not been exercising for a while now so hoping to get in at least 30 minutes of walking to start with a day.
    I love food! So the 1200 calories seems really hard to me. Anybody have suggestoins on low calorie good tasting snacsk to help me get through?
    Thanks for encouragement and looking for friends to dialogue with daily,
    Jennifer
  • JenniferHamner
    JenniferHamner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you still doing low carb? That has worked well for me in the past and seems I don't get as hungry.
    Think I need to try it again maybe.
    Are there any new products that you are using with it? Something that woudl be comparable to chips that would have that crunch?
  • duvall72
    duvall72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jen. I'll be 41 this summer. I am recently divorced and have 2 beautiful daughters, 19 and 17. I finally finished nursing school this past Dec, only took 6 long years, and work full time in a local hospital. I'm from PA, but have been living in VA for close to 17 years now. I have a love/hate relationship with diet and exercise. Love how exercise makes me feel and look, but hate trying to make the time for it. I just dropped my gym membership, it was a waste of money since I was never going, and bought a treadmill for my house. My daughter and I did our first 5K this spring, thought I was going to die but had so much fun at the same time. Need motivation to stay on track. My kids are great at trying to keep me on track, but it would be nice to make a connection with other women like me.
  • sunnydayz71
    sunnydayz71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, i'm new to your group and wanted to say hi. I'm soon to be 42 and have been with my husband for 17 years. We have a 13 year old daughter and were delightfully surprised by our pregnancy last summer, a little boy who is 5 months old now.
    I've been with MFP since the beginning of April and I've lost 12 lbs. I'd like to lose 40 - 50 lbs. more. I log on every day to enter my food as this seems to be the best way to keep myself honest and motivated. The first month I maintained a 1200 calorie diet and it did fine with it. No hungry pains or cravings. But I've bumped it up to 1300 - 1400 calories and I seem to be losing more weight per week. I've been playing around with it b/c I am always under in calories/fat/carbs and always over in protein/sugar... I'm tweaking here and there... a work in progress for sure.
    Although I have a great support system at home, I would love to connect with some women my age who get some and/or all the things I'm going through. And that is what as lead me to here :-)
  • jaq_attaq
    jaq_attaq Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, fab ladies! I've been skimming posts here and on a few other groups I've joined, looking for the courage to speak up. And here you all are -- inspiring me to post.

I'm 40 years young (41 at the end of this month), single, and mom only to my super snuggly dog. I'm currently pursuing an advanced degree far away from my family and friends. I've always been independent but I've really been missing a support system since I was diagnosed with a chronic illness a few weeks ago. Nothing like super scary news to kick the whole "food/weight/emotions/body image" tangle right out from a therapeutic issue into something I have to contend with every hour of every day! I'm doing much better (physically and emotionally) since my diagnosis -- partly due to buying a Fitbit Zip last week that really kicked me into gear and syncing that with MFP vs. using the app I'd been using on my Blackberry to log food.

Anyway, I'm a fairly private person in real life so I feel like there's only a few people I can talk to about this urgent mission I'm on to reclaim my health and return to the fit, active, happy, confident me I've been in the past. In graduate school I'm surrounded by women in their 20s and early 30s who sometimes make me feel ancient, so just reading your stories and seeing your successes (and struggles) has already helped me feel less alone. Thank you for that. : )
  • rcowger
    rcowger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group. I am 43 and need to get serious about losing weight and feeling great!
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    Im new to MFP only been on 4 days and loving it. I am 40 and sadly my metabolism is as well - i dont feel my age or look it - I have a pretty good work out regime - but like to snack
    I am hoping to find healthy eating alternatives as well as get back on track at the gym - I was unable to work out or eat regular OR home cooked meals for the last two months because my husband work started a shut down so he was working 12-14 hour days 7 days a week.... one day off every 15 days. My son plays spring league travel hockey so I was bringing him to practices three nights a week and we would travel out of town on the weekends.... anyhow his hockey is over till August and I am able to start taking care of me again....

I didnt mention (Im so self centered) that i have a 20 year old son who lives in Virginia with his dad and is a substitute teacher - and I also have a 16 year old daughter who is learning to drive and is going to turn my entire head grey! She is a going to be a Junior next year - my hockey player son is 14 he will be 15 in two weeks he is going to be a sophomore - My children are wonderful -I am VERY fortunate - they are not your typical jerky "i hate my parents" teenagers - but I know it can happen any moment. My husband I have been married for 16 1/2 years - We met in Okinawa Japan when we were both stationed when we were in the Marine Corps. He is three years younger than I am . I was born and raised in San Diego California - but now live a little south of Chicago because that is where my husbands family is from.... i miss San Diego whether-

I am already struggling with my daily calorie allowances - readers please don't be mad when i say this.. but I think I have only reached my daily calorie allowance once.... then when i add my workout I am way under my calorie allowance. I want to keep my metabolism going... and worry that by not getting the required amount of calories that I am hindering my weight loss progress - i eat breakfast snack lunch snack and dinner... plus i drink at least 90 oz of water a day... my calorie allowance is 1200 - I have colitis so sometimes i just feel bloated and not hungry so I dont want to eat but am trying.... Can anyone help me with this?
  • KimCanKimWill
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Kim! I am 43 and looking for some accountability, inspiration and motivation!
    Who better to get that from than a group of fabulous 4o something ladies!!
    I have an ENTIRE PERSON to lose, seriously! I have a yo-yo diet history, and a Lazarus metabolism. :sick: I am in this thing for the long haul and looking forward with willingness and determination toward the journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Beekercat
    Beekercat Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi!
    My name is Katherine and I'm just beginning what seems like a daunting weight loss journey. I'm 46 and have just recently begun to feel - and worse! - look it. I am married to a great guy and we have three kids, 19, 15 and 7. I have lost weight in the past (mostly through WW), but never enough to be the size 8 of my college years, and ended up gaining it back eventually.

I am hoping that joining this site will give me the push I need to make long term changes and be in it for the long haul. I want to be healthier, regardless of how much weight I actually lose (although getting under the 200 mark for the first time in YEARS would be awesome!).

I just started the "Couch to 5k" running program a couple of months ago and discovered that I almost enjoy running (I'm using the term very, very loosely here!), which surprises me. Incorporating healthy eating is next on the agenda. :)
  • MomIsBlessed
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kelly, I am a 40 year old mom to a wonderful 4 year old. I am new to myfitnesspal and to the group. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and recently found out I have an under active thyroid which adds to the problem. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.