Matt Smith stepping down as Doctor Who

Options
weefreemen
weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
As some of us surmised... Smith is moving on. I'm thrilled, maybe now we'll get a slightly older and stronger Doctor. However, I know many of you loved Smith's Doctor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10093520/Matt-Smith-to-quit-Doctor-Who-after-Christmas-special.html#disqus_thread

So I guess he wasn't confirmed for series 8 after all.....

Replies

• floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well he will be there for half of Series 8....
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Well he will be there for half of Series 8....

No, he will be gone after the Christmas Special, the 50th Anniversary and the Christmas Special are his last two appearances as the Doctor...

"He will bow out in the Christmas special when he will be replaced by a new incarnation of the Time Lord." (BBC)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Not surpised. I was hoping he would be in part of season 8, but it is not to be.

Now the replacement rumors begin.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Right. Moffat isn't far behind him. In fact, I suspect the next Doctor will be picked by the new co-exec.

Come Christmas, Moffat will have told the story he wanted to tell (or some form of it, anyway).

As much as I thought S5 was the about most brilliant series of just about any show I've ever seen, I'm looking forward to a change and a fresh new outlook.

I'm just really hoping that Moffat can bring the past three series together in a satisfying conclusion come Christmas.
  • rbartlett9671
    rbartlett9671 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Seems like there was a lot of misinformation going around claiming that Smith was staying... here's the BBC News story...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Seems like there was a lot of misinformation going around claiming that Smith was staying... here's the BBC News story...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493

No kidding, I thought he was confirmed for at least part of series 8! I'm so sad to see him go, he will always be my doctor. But it also feels like it's close to his time. He's been around, what, 300+ years, probably more like 400, in the context of the show. I think his incarnation is just to weary to go much longer.
  • Onestep43
    Onestep43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As some of us surmised... Smith is moving on. I'm thrilled, maybe now we'll get a slightly older and stronger Doctor.

I willing to take the job. Things I'd bring to the series: fleece, facial hair, a high maintenance shih tzu, and an annoying habit of second guessing most of my decisions. BBC, I await your call.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Right. Moffat isn't far behind him. In fact, I suspect the next Doctor will be picked by the new co-exec.

Come Christmas, Moffat will have told the story he wanted to tell (or some form of it, anyway).

As much as I thought S5 was the about most brilliant series of just about any show I've ever seen, I'm looking forward to a change and a fresh new outlook.

I'm just really hoping that Moffat can bring the past three series together in a satisfying conclusion come Christmas.

From what I understand it sounds like Moffat is coming to the end of his tenure as well, his most recent quote was "I am closer to the end rather than the beginning of my tenure" Gawd I hope so. He has almost single handedly ruined Doctor Who for me....
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    He has almost single handedly ruined Doctor Who for me....

I know quite a few feel as you do, but for me Moffat has had his genius moments. But he seems to peak early. Jekyll's first two episodes were sublime, and then it sort of fitzed out. DW S5 was amazing, and then it started heading south. Oddly Sherlock has stayed on an even kilter, but perhaps that's the influence of Mark Gatiss. Who knows.

Regarding Jekyll, I'd be tempted to say that I liked it so much because of Michelle Ryan, except that even she couldn't save that awful flying f*&*ing bus story on Doctor Who.
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    LOL That's funny because it was exactly that f**king flying bus episode that got a former friend into Who in the first place LOL

I always tell noobs to watch Blink first.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Blink was amazing, but the Weeping Angels went downhill from there. And Jekyll, well that was brilliant, and yes strong for the first couple of episodes. I think Moffat was also involved with Coupling wasn't he? Speaking of Jekyll, James Nesbitt would be an awesome Doctor...
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    Yeah, I agree about the angels... Although the two parter in Season 5 was good. I'll always remember those eps becaus I saw them "live" when I went back home to England.

I haven't seen Jekyll.... but at least if James Nesbitt were doctor I would have a small chance of looking like him at Halloween LOL
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    As some of us surmised... Smith is moving on. I'm thrilled, maybe now we'll get a slightly older and stronger Doctor. However, I know many of you loved Smith's Doctor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10093520/Matt-Smith-to-quit-Doctor-Who-after-Christmas-special.html#disqus_thread

So I guess he wasn't confirmed for series 8 after all.....

I am SOOO hoping for an older Doctor. Even when Smith has tried to be strong he still seemed a bit of a childish goof to me.
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    LOL Yeeah as much as I liked him, he always seemed like a school boy LOL sometimes I half expected him to threaten to tell his parents or a teacher...