Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Depression with Hirsutism

erin4609
erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
Do you guys ever have days when you get depressed with excess hair? I just look at my body and feel so gross....and then I think abuot that I'll have to deal with it for the rest of my life....am i the only one?

Waiting for my blood results to come back so my endo can prescribe me some spironolactone....i hope it helps!

Replies

• you're not alone. Of all the crap PCOS has dealt me, hair has to be THE worst thing for me. I don't care as much about the weight as I do the hair. It makes me feel really gross and un-pretty.

hopefully you get your results soon!
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Yup - I've had excess facial hair since late middle school/early high school, and it led to a ton of extra stress when sharing living space with people who didn't "know." It still sucks, but it sucks much less since now that I only really share a room with my husband, who seems absolutely unfazed that we often share a razor. :P If/when we eventually have kids, I'm a little worried that one might spill mom's secret, so *that* might increase the stress level again.

The hirsutism has been a part of my life for so long now that it honestly seems a little strange to think that this isn't something that every woman has to deal with. A life without trying to hide facial hair just seems a little mind-boggling. :P
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    The hair issue has also been the worst for me: too much where it shouldn't be, not enough where it should. Are you a good candidate for laser removal (lighter skin, darker hair)? I think that was the best thing I ever did. I still have about a dozen random chin/neck ones I have to catch, but nothing like the forest I used to struggle with. And the Spiro is awesome as the dozen I do stand watch over are lighter and slower growing. Plus it helps with the hair loss.

Hope you get your results soon!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    I'm just really good friends with wax strips and my tweezers now. I never let myself have excess hair anymore, it's gone before anyone else can see it! It does take up a good portion of my morning sometimes! But I would rather go through that every day if necessary than have hair in places it shouldn't be!
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Read this...i just ordered some. Keep to a low sugar/low carb diet. Get mad and don't let pcos steal your joy!
    http://therotundaramblings.blogspot.com/2011/02/myo-inositol-helps-women-to-conceive.html?m=1
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Oh I hear ya! My face is the worst..I used to pluck the hairs on my chin but finally said eff it and started shaving. My boyfriend has no idea - at least that's what I tell myself. One of my rewards for reaching a goal is to get it lasered. How sad is that ****? But I'll be one happy camper!!
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Oh I hear ya! My face is the worst..I used to pluck the hairs on my chin but finally said eff it and started shaving. My boyfriend has no idea - at least that's what I tell myself. One of my rewards for reaching a goal is to get it lasered. How sad is that ****? But I'll be one happy camper!!

I told my husband in a text lol, all he said was he knew and he didn't care and it didn't change how he felt about me.

Trying to explain to him how I felt about it is was a whole different ball game though :/
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    LOL It's funny because I know he wouldn't care. But it definitely is how we feel about it and ourselves. You never know, sometimes they can surprise us and be a lot more understanding than we ever thought! :)
  • craftynerdmama
    craftynerdmama Posts: 18 Member
    Ugh, this is definitely one of my biggest annoyances with PCOS. It's bad enough I'm way overweight, but I have to have a freakin' beard to? Ugh. I've been thinking about laser treatment lately...not sure if I'll go through with it ever. So far I just tweeze and use the depilatory cream stuff. It...*sort of* works. :-\

I was always so nervous about keeping it hidden around significant others... when my husband (boyfriend at the time) casually said something about it, I broke down in tears because I thought I was doing a decent job of keeping it hidden! Oops! He assured me that he doesn't think any less of me for it and loves me just the same, but it was still tough because it makes me feel that much less womanly. We've been together almost three years (and married almost three months) and I still don't let him see me try to get rid of it!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Ugh, this is definitely one of my biggest annoyances with PCOS. It's bad enough I'm way overweight, but I have to have a freakin' beard to? Ugh. I've been thinking about laser treatment lately...not sure if I'll go through with it ever. So far I just tweeze and use the depilatory cream stuff. It...*sort of* works. :-\

I was always so nervous about keeping it hidden around significant others... when my husband (boyfriend at the time) casually said something about it, I broke down in tears because I thought I was doing a decent job of keeping it hidden! Oops! He assured me that he doesn't think any less of me for it and loves me just the same, but it was still tough because it makes me feel that much less womanly. We've been together almost three years (and married almost three months) and I still don't let him see me try to get rid of it!

Oh my gosh, get lasered! It's multiple treatments, but it was so much better even after one treatment, I actually cried. Worth every single penny. Even if I had to do it over every year (and I haven't needed any touch ups since having it done many years ago) I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    I used to work as an esthetician and my friends from school used to tease me, saying I spent 6k to get rid of my own hair. lol. The really funny thing is they weren't totally wrong. For me its not so much my face, I can handle that, its a small area. Its my legs, especially upper legs & bikini line. Its a constant battle. I hate summer because of it. My favorite gadget has been my Silk Epil Epilator. it has been a God send. Another favorite is Magic Shaving Powder. This product is like Neet or the others on the market but it comes in powder form and you mix it with water, Its a bit strong but great if you have coarse hair. Recently I bought a home Laser type thing called Tanda Me, which has a built in epilator/shaver that has a built in light that is supposed to stop hair growth, I've only used it a couple of times and it does seem to be working. Its time consuming though, but worth it if it works. Unfortunately I can't bring myself to use the epilator on my bikini line (OUCHIE!!) and shaving is a big no no, due to horrible rash and waxing isn't fun either, because I get bad in growns. So I use the Magic shaving powder there. I have never tried SPironolactone. I would love to know if it really helps.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Ok: Update. Laser has never worked on my hormonal hair for some reason. It always grows back: on my face, on my chest, on my stomach. I had it done for years with several different lasers at several different offices and it just never worked.

Electrolysis has really, really worked for me. I have spent many, many painful hours doing it, but it's really worked. And since I have hair growing on my chest (laser doesn't work there) I'm just going to do electrolysis on it.

But just to let all you know: for me, laser never worked. Electrolysis, especially for the face, works. Even on hormonal hair. Go to someone who knows what they're doing, and it SHOULD feel painful (unfortunately). If it just feels like they're plucking the hair out, the machine isn't on a strong enough setting and it wont work.