I just met some awesomeness

Options
kirabob
kirabob Posts: 481 Member
So, a friend of a friend competes in powerlifting championships. She is in the super heavyweight class, and will be going to a world meet in August.

I thought you all would like to drool at her numbers:

240# squat
320# deadlift
140# bench

Here is a video review of her first meet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxQ46xdRQsg

It's a very interesting look into what a powerlifting meet looks like.

Enjoy!

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    That was at least 15 kinds of awesomeness!! Thanks for sharing. It was interesting to see how a meet works.

And, yes, there was drool...especially when she did that 303 deadlift. :noway:
  • kirabob
    Options
    She lives in Detroit, and I'm headed up there this fall, so we've made a lifting date! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This woman can bench press ME. Wow. That's seriously impressive.
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That was cool.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Dang cant get it to work from my tablet. Must try from my laptop after dinner.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    So much WIN! Thanks for sharing!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Wow that is awesome! Do you notice that she is the only woman in the room? lol.

This isn't meant to be rude AT ALL, but is a 140lb bench press really a WORLD RECORD for a woman in the super heavy weight class?!? My goal was to be able to bench 1x body weight which is/will be 145-150. and that lady is larger than I am. Am I completely unrealistic? Again, its definitely awesome, but a world record?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

This isn't meant to be rude AT ALL, but is a 140lb bench press really a WORLD RECORD for a woman in the super heavy weight class?!? My goal was to be able to bench 1x body weight which is/will be 145-150. and that lady is larger than I am. Am I completely unrealistic? Again, its definitely awesome, but a world record?

These numbers weren't world records, just her friend's personal records.

a 1x bw bench press is a reasonable goal - although it will take you a long time. I'd start by shooting for .75 or so if you want to hit a milestone sooner.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!!! I've been considering checking into competitive powerlifting. This got me thinking since I'm not too far off of her numbers and would be in a lower weight class (granted I still have 100 lbs on DL to go, but all in due time :laugh: )

So then I did a search for powerlifting weight classes and found these results:

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/results/2013/2013USAPLWomensNationalPowerliftingChampionshipsResults.pdf

I was like "Oh I SO have this..." That was until I realized that the weights were in kg and someone my size was SQUATTING 300+ lbs, deadlifting 400+, and benching over 200. :sick:

So...I'm still going to look into it because a lot of the women are there lifting in their 50's and 60's.
  • kirabob
    Options
    Absolutely jstout - I think the age range for powerlifting is pretty wide - no reason you can't keep going and going and going!
  • kirabob
    Options
    And in my (Facebook) discussions with Elizabeth, she talked about how frustrated she was with her bench numbers. She is hoping to hit a 300# squat, a 350# deadlift and and a 150# bench at the meet in August. - And yes, those are her personal bests.

This is her last workout in her conditioning cycle - now she has moved on to direct training for the heavy lifts in the competition.

Straight leg deadlifts off one board
    5x50lb
    5x140lb
    5x160lb
    5x190lb
    5x210lb

Conventions deadlifts off two boards
    2x2x210lb
    2x2x220lb
    2x2x230lb
    2x2x240lb (missed the last one)

Bench Touch-and-Go
    5x45lb
    5x85lb
    10x95lb
    10x105lb
    10x115lb (really happy about these--felt strong through the whole set)

Paused bench, Reverse Pyramid
    115lb
    110lb
    105lb
    100lb
    95lb

Burn out Bench (touch and go, speed work)
    2x5x85lb
    2x10x65lb
    2x20x45lb

Tricep Pull Downs
    5x30x30lb

Yeouch!

Edited to remove her commentary about how unhelpful her breakfast was, LOL.
  • jstout365
    Options
    Her bench work sounds similar to some techniques that were suggested to me to increase the power coming up in the lift since you are required to pause at the chest and take the lift command from the judge. I wonder what her accessory work is like.
  • kirabob
    Options
    I can ask her. If you're on Facebook, you could also probably look her up and friend her - she likes lifting friends! I know she does a lot of accessory stuff. . .
  • jstout365
    Options
    I can look her up on FB. I think most competitive training goes in cycles depending on where they are in the season.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Jstout remember to only look at the raw records lists. Your url is cuttoff so I can't tell if that is raw or not. It might make you feel a bit better. There were some I was looking at that were mis-categorized and the top rank was a guy.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    That is really cool. And on a coincidental note, my grandmother's maiden name was Elisabeth Fritze :) And this also made me look up competition results to see how I would fare. At most of the local ones (within a 3 or so hour drive), there were usually only three or four women competing in the whole thing. Plus, I'm over 40 and I'd be in the 148 weight class. I've never figured out my max, but I've recently benched 1x5@115, and I haven't been training to compete. I'm guessing I could push out 1 @125, which would have been enough to win some of the ones I looked up. I know my upper body strength is just naturally higher than that of most women. I'd really have to train a lot harder on squats. I'll have to sit down and think about this more over a bowl of icecream.
  • kirabob
    Options
    ^^That sounds like an excellent plan. :smile:
  • jstout365
    Options
    Jstout remember to only look at the raw records lists. Your url is cuttoff so I can't tell if that is raw or not. It might make you feel a bit better. There were some I was looking at that were mis-categorized and the top rank was a guy.

I'll have to look at it again. I checked the #1 open (per the list) woman for my weight class on you tube and she really was squatting 300+ lbs with nothing but a belt and knee wraps. I don't feel bad about my lifts since I've only been into the powerlifting style for a few months. These ladies have years behind them.

Cleo - I'm right there with you. I finally busted through 115 with a spotter to ease my fear and working on the whole arch form. I have a strong upper body and my deadlifts are not bad, but squats are my limiting factor with the bum hipflexor. Ice cream is always a great thinking tool.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

These numbers weren't world records, just her friend's personal records.

a 1x bw bench press is a reasonable goal - although it will take you a long time. I'd start by shooting for .75 or so if you want to hit a milestone sooner.

That makes sense, but it says at the 4:58 mark "world record -- had to be checked for equipped briefs" and then a few seconds later it says "set: SHW world record squat, SHW world record bench, SHW world record deadlift" What is that talking about then?