May Chat

Options
babeinthemoon
babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
Happy Birthday to me.. happy birthday to meeee... happy birthday dear skinny meeee.. happy birthday to meeeee. LOL

Yes, it's my birthday today (May 1). I turned 36. It was a nice relaxing day with friends, and is my last full day in Texas, as we fly home tomorrow evening.

Today's activities were so much fun. We went to a place that had unlimited bowling, high ropes, and laser tag. I spent a good 20 min on the ropes, played 2 laser tag games, and bowled for well over 2 hours. Wow!!! What a fun "workout." I didn't expect to be able to "run, duck, and hide" during laser tag... and not be winded. Huh?? go figure. This exercise thing is working. LOL. I also didn't expect to be able to do the high ropes either... but discovered that they would allow me to do so (no weight limit as far as I know). It sure put my stress level to the test, but I did complete at least 1/2 of the course. It was a spiderweb type configuration, so I didn't have to do all of it in order to get back to the start... so I only did the portions that I felt most comfortable on. I very much look forward to doing something like that again when I'm another 20+ pounds lighter, and have a little more balance. Bowling was great too. I have weak wrists, so I'm usually hurting after game 1. Today I used a 10lb ball for the first 3 games before switching to the 8lb one that made me feel like I was throwing a baseball. Cool. :)

All that was great... but the piece de resistance was getting to go on a motorcycle ride with my friend, on his beautiful blue Harley. I got all geared up, and then put on his wife's motorcycle jacket. The plan was to unzip the sides as far as they would go so that I could at least partially zip up the coat. I didn't have to do that at all!!!!

I was able to put on and zip up her size X-Large motorcycle jacket!!!!!! I was with her when she bought it 5 years ago, and there was never any chance of me being able to wear it... ever. But, I got to wear it today, and I felt skinny... really "skinny" for the first time in a while. There have times that I have noticed that I've been getting smaller, but today was a real "ah ha" moment for me. (my new profile picture is me in this coat)

We went on a beautiful 2 hour ride around San Antonio, and finished it up with a quick trip to grab my birthday dinner. What a fabulous day!

How about you? How was your day today?

Replies

• 311Sarah
    311Sarah Posts: 16
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!

I just downloaded Chris Powell's latest book to my iBooks! Choose More, Lose More For Life! I'm excited, this has come at a great time for me, I need some extra motivation at this point.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    I can't wait to get the new book... but I'll need to wait until my hubby is no longer unemployeed. LOL. Priorities you know. ;-)

This week I'm focusing on getting back into exercising on a routine, and am working on my eating habits. Sigh, It is so hard to break a bad habit cycle, and get back into what I KNOW works for me. I'm so thankful that the weather is warming up, and that veggies/salads taste so much better now. Yea!!!

I had a really crappy run this morning.. it was preempted by an impending asthma attack. I slacked off and went home way early because I forgot to use my inhaler before going... and didn't bring it with me in case I needed it. Crap. So, I made up for the lack of calories with a nice afternoon walk with my hubby. Wish I could do more today, but I don't have the time.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    I received Chris's new book as a birthday present last week! Yea!! I'm looking forward to trying some of the new recipes! But what I am looking most forward to is revamping my carb cycle.

This week, I need to get back on track. It will be a lighter exercise week as I'm getting my son to start c25k with me. Also, my allergies have been hitting me hard, so I will "take it easy." Therefore, I will be using the Turbo Cycle this week (LC, LC, HC, LC, LC, HC, Funday). I'll be sticking to a minimum of 1200 calories on LC days... and will eat back exercise calories up to 1500, as a 6th meal... IF I AM HUNGRY.

It won't be long though, and I will switch to the "Fit cycle" (HC, HC, LC, HC, HC, LC, funday) My biggest complain with carb cycling so far is that I have not felt the energy I have needed to have in order to feel good running. So... I'm hoping that the Fit Cycle will work better for this, and me in general. Again, I am going to stick with the minimum calories that Chris has in the book... and eat a 6th meal, only if needed.

I am really looking forward to getting back into my routine! Now it is "late" and I should be thinking about going to bed. I was going to watch a movie... but to heck with that... I'm going to finish drinking my water and hit the hay so that I can get moving tomorrow!!!

Yippee!! Mama's back!
  • 311Sarah
    Options
    Awesome! I'm glad you got the book.

I have somehow convinced my husband to do the 9 min. missions with me! We started this morning and It was actually fun. I love that there are 20 different work-outs! I think he pushed me harder than if I were doing the mission on my own.

I think I am going to be sticking with the Turbo cycle until I break this plateau that I have been on.

This week, I pre-tracked most of my food and made a shopping list. I am totally set for the week! I love that feeling of being in control and organized. It was hard but I know that this week, it will pay off on the scale. Hopefully, I can keep this momentum up.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    WTG on the 9min missions, and getting organized for the week!

I, on the other hand... have been a slacker. I still have not had more than one day in a row of true CTL eating. Getting out of bad habits is hard. LOL. Tomorrow is a really busy day, so I need to prep some food tonight so I'm ready for it.

On the good side of things, I've exercised in some form or another every day for the last 2 weeks. On my rest days it has just been a short walk... The other days I've gone to Jazzercise or ran. Today was a good exercise day... I worked in my garden for 2.5 hours, and then killed it at jazzercise for an hour this afternoon.

I really need to get more organized with my food. Maybe I should meal plan for a week or two, so I don't have to "think" when it comes to meal times. Hmmm... that would be using my own advice, now wouldn't it. LOL!

-sarah
  • babbippy
    babbippy Posts: 2
    Options
    Started yesterday. The 9 minute thing nearly killed me. Lol embarrassing. I am very low energy today and feeling the befuddled mind thing. Still need to do my exercise today. Hope I find some energy. Need to find out if there is a certain amount of carbs that we are shooting for. Can't seem to find that in the book.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    Started yesterday. The 9 minute thing nearly killed me. Lol embarrassing. I am very low energy today and feeling the befuddled mind thing. Still need to do my exercise today. Hope I find some energy. Need to find out if there is a certain amount of carbs that we are shooting for. Can't seem to find that in the book.

WTG!!! I still have trouble getting the 9 minute missions in... that is part of the reason why I like to get to jazzercise w/in an hour of waking up... that way I can do my cardio, and exercises similar to what is given as options in the book. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with the 9 minute missions... I just have a really really really hard time working them into my schedule, as I'm usually hitting the ground "running" with my kids. :blushing:

As per the carbs... carb gram amounts are not listed anywhere in either book. Why? Because Chris's book is based around hand sizes as measurement guides, and not weighing/measuring food.

I have found that on a typical "Low carb day" (w/ 1200+ calories, my carb count is usually under 100g (this includes my HC breakfast). On high carb days when I shoot for 1500 calories, my carb count is usually between 150-200g... sometimes more, but not usually much.

Hope this helps!
    -sarah
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    I'm finally starting to get back into the swing of things. The last two days were pretty good low carb days. Today is a High carb day... and tomorrow is funday. I'm finding that I'm hungry a whole lot on LC days now... I'm not sure if that is because I'm use to eating bigger quantities of food, I'm exercising more, or if it is just cravings that I'm battling. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out over the next week or so.

How is your week going??
  • 311Sarah
    Options
    For the 9 minute missions, I made a poster mapping out the missions, instructions and space to track reps or # of circuits. Since I see the poster every day, I would feel terrible if I missed a mission.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    You are just full of AWESOME! What a great idea!!! I should do that too!!! :)

Today is Sunday Funday for me. That means the only exercise I will get, if any, will be a gentle walk. And... oh the food... yummy food! LOL. I've already planned out my meals... so if you want to take a gander just head on over to my diary and take a look. LOL.
  • nbennett509
    Options
    Hi everyone. I bought Chris' new book a couple weeks ago and read it cover to cover in a weekend. Put it aside while on vacation for 12 days, but now that I'm back hubby and I are ready to get started! I found this group by "accident" looking for additional recipe ideas, but I am so glad to have found it. It seems you guys have a lot of great tips to help me get started and stay motivated while changing my lifestyle to a healthier one with Chris' help. I have a couple questions:

Do you guys track/write down your foods? I know it's not necessary using Chris' method, but has it been helpful for you to look back and see what you did right and/or wrong, or have you found it to be just a waste of time?

Do you have a certain brand or type of protein powder to be better than others? Do you use the almond milk or water to mix yours?

I organized my grocery list today. Over the next two days hubby and I will be cleaning out our cupboards of most of our processed food (so as to avoid cooking out of convenience). My produce place is only open Thursday - Sunday, so I'm excited to purchase my produce Thursday or Friday and proteins by Saturday. We kick off on Sunday!!!

Thanks for all your help and words of advice!

- Nicole
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    My first few weeks of CTL (last june) was just with hand size measurements... without any tracking at all. Later on, I started tracking, only what I was eating, and realized that I was having a hard time hitting my calories (I was on the low side). At this point, I'm not really sure how I did that... LOL. In any case, I upped my food, and have been real careful about my food quantities... but tried to stay in the 1200/1500 calorie range that he lists in the book. After several weeks of this, I found that it was really hard to actually consume only that number of calories, while still eating the quantities that he asks for in the book. So, in November I raised my calories.

By the end of 2012 I was getting frustrated. My weight loss was slowing down, my energy levels were plummeting... Well, actually I'm not sure if the energy levels were going down, or if I was just trying to do to much on the energy I had. LOL. I was training for my very first 5k after all.

In any case, I took a full 2 week break around Christmas/NewYears. I got back on track, and stayed mostly on plan through the end of January. In February & March I did a fitness/eating challenge, that in combination with CTL was a bad mix for me. I scrapped CTL by the end of it, and didn't really follow it most days. Coupled with the 3 weeks at the end of April being on vacation, I found myself 10 lbs up from my lowest weight. Some of this I'm sure is water retention... and I'm trying to get back on track. However, I'm finding that it is really easy to backslide, and harder to get back to doing what I know I need to do.

What the plan is at this point, is to get back to the basics. Eat 5 meals a day, every 3 hours. Using Chris's hand guidelines as a start. I'm trying to stay between 1200-1500 calories on LC days (when I exercise, I'm letting myself eat more). On HC days the range is 1500-1800. If I go over, it will be because of added veggies... not added anything else. :)

What I have learned so far, is that the nutrition of CTL is a very good thing. I'm eating better, and more cleanly than ever before, when I'm following the plan. I feel good to. I do also know that on LC days my energy level is lower than on HC days. Therefore, in order to reach the fitness goals I have set for myself, I'm going to switch to the Fit plan (HC, HC, LC, HC, HC, LC, funday) after I'm back down to my previous low. Until then, I'm going to try to do the Turbo cycle, which is 2 LC days, followed by a HC day. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll be back down to my complete 50 lb loss.

That's the plan anyway. We'll just have to see how it all works out.

Re Protein Powder: I use Melaleuca - Proflex20 Protein Shake Mix. It comes in vanilla or chocolate. I really enjoy it, and the price is reasonable... although not as low as some others on the market. Melaleuca is a direct sales company, so you have to pay shipping as well to get the product... so it might not be the best plan for you. Read your labels, and be ready to try a couple different brands. If you can get a protein count of 18-20g or better per serving it is a good thing.

My go to breakfast shake is: 1 serving vanilla protein mix, 1/2 c skim milk, 1c water, 1 c mixed tropical fruit (Papaya, Mango, Pineapple, Strawberries).

My favorite HC day pm shake (desert): is chocolate protein mix, 1/2c skim milk, 1c water, 1c strawberries

On a LC day, my pm shake is: chocolate protein mix, 1/2c coconut milk (unsweetened), 1c water, 1 tbsp natural, salt free peanutbutter.

I do not use almond milk, because I feel funny when I drink it. On my first several weeks of CTL I was at my Mom's house, and I did use almond milk for the first 2 weeks... until one morning when I really did feel sick afterwards. I compared the label of the almond milk w/ skim milk, and I didn't see too much difference in the macros, so I made the switch. I do use coconut milk on LC days, because the carb content is lower.

Good Luck!
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize elite gourmet vanilla, it is the best protein powder i have ever had and bakes very well. I do a lot of low carb baking and make protein muffins to eat before i work out (115 cals), I track every bite that goes in my mouth on mfp and have for almost 2 years. I am a newbie to this diet. I am using it to try to keep my weight off, as well as continue to eat healthy and maybe lose a few lbs on the way. You can friend me if you want. I did pretty good this week with my menu, but its just 1 full week of being on track. After babeinthemoon helped me figure it all out.
  • Circapaleo
    Circapaleo Posts: 114
    Options
    Hey Deanna! How are you making your protein muffins? Every low-carb/paleo muffin recipe I've seen is much higher in calories because it's made with nut butter or almond meal. I played around with leaving it out, but I can't seem to get the ingredients to stick together and end up with muffin crumble that I have to eat with a spoon. :)
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
  • Circapaleo
    Circapaleo Posts: 114
    Options
    Saweeet! Thanks!

I perused some of your other recipes and the pumpkin pancakes, meatballs, and carnitas look really good. :)
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    Awesome, the Salsa chicken is killer.. my husband likes the carnits pork more, but the chicken salsa just simply rocks.
  • nbennett509
    Options
    Thanks, ladies. Week 1 went fairly well. How much did you guys lose your first week? Since Chris says on the turbo cycle you'll lose weight really fast I thought I would lose at least 5 pounds this week. I weighed myself this morning and I was only down 4 pounds! Don't get me wrong; I'll take the 4 happily, but was definitely disappointed it wasn't 5-7 given t was my first week. I just can't help wondering if I am doing something wrong. From what I was eating before to what I'm eating now, I'm having MUCH fewer calories, eating much healthier, cleaner foods, and drinking WAY more water. So I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Today's my reward day so I worry my real weigh in tomorrow could have me officially ending my first week with only a 2-3 pound loss. :(
  • mamacita903
    mamacita903 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Nbennett509...4 lbs is an amazing loss for the week. Be proud of yourself! Remember you're losing actual fat, not a ton of water, because of the high protein carb cycling method. Also, in my past experience and I believe in the book Chris recommends weighing in the day before your cheat day to get your most accurate weekly weight loss. Weighing in after a cheat day is going to reflect retained water from eating carbs the day before. Water that will probably be gone again in a day or two. Obviously your weigh-in day is completely up to you, but wouldn't you want the most accurate picture that also reflects all of your hard work? :) Keep up the great work
  • densa56
    densa56 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Thought I would pop in. I am so excited about this program. Weighed In on Sunday (6/9). Officially started on Monday (6/10). Used yesterday (Saturday 6/16) as my new weigh in and I am down 4.8 lbs!!!!

BUT, I am anxious about today - free day. I think it will sabotage my current loss. How do you get through your cheat day without anxiety? Does this really work? Or, do you backslide a little from cheat day? What should I expect next week on weigh in day? I am really leery about today. Any insight would be a great blessing.

Additionally, I have hovered around 1300 calories daily, not intentionally, it just happens. Will this consistent calorie load also sabotage my weight losses? Thanks.

Dianne