Question for plus size pregnant women

Options
CrystalWalks
CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
Hi, all I am pregnant with my first and I am considered obese by my doctor I am 5'4 and 206, I use to weight 243 so I have came along ways, I was on this weight loss kick, when BAM I got pregnant, anyways--- I am so excited about being pregnant and my question is WHEN WILL I START TO SHOW!!! I figure that I will show later on bc I am plus size, I know this may sound crazy to some but I want to show off my belly bump..... I am 13 weeks (fetal age) so I was wondering when did some of you other plus size moms to be start showing...Thanks:smile:

Replies

• 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am currently 8 months pregnant. My belly started looking different around 4 months but it wasn't really noticeable to most people.All of my weight is just moving to my belly. I have actually lost weight this pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and at 4 weeks pregnant was 198lbs. My baby bump appeared overnight at 12 weeks and 3 days, but didn't start becoming obvious to others until week 16 or 17. By week 18 I had done away with my normal wardrobe and swapped to maternity clothes. This is my fifth baby and my stomach muscles were already shot, but if this is your first baby you'll still have stomach muscles and may not 'show' for several more weeks.
  • JennyV2013
    JennyV2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was 5'6", 206 lbs when I started this pregnancy and I am now 19 weeks. I started showing (to others) around 15-16 weeks. This is my third baby so my stomach muscles are also shot.
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    Thanks guys for the responses, I had co worker friend tell me today that I am starting to look pregnant to her, I smile and said really? but when I looked in the mirror I didn't notice a change, I Think its either my clothing that I wore today or she was just being nice, either way I took the compliment and ran with it :smile:
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", was 243 at the beginning of the pregnancy, and am now 250.2. This is my 7th full pregnancy (also had a miscarriage). I could tell the difference quite early. Maybe 12 weeks. But nobody else was able to tell I was pregnant until I was about 28 - 30 weeks. Now, at 32 weeks, there is no mistaking that I'm knocked up and not just putting on a few pounds. ;)

Congratulations and best wishes!
  • lorenaguardado
    Options
    I also started my pregnancy in the 240's and I am now 20 wks and have gained about 2 lbs. Don't think anyone would even know I was pregnant unless, I shared. I too am excited about showing off my "belly", I just hope others can tell the difference and not think I am just getting fatter! LOL :smile:
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    Iorenaguardad thats awesome you haven't gained much weight, my docs do not want me to gain any more than 20 max 11 pounds being the minumum, You will probably start showing within the next month :) people do not know that I am pregnant unless I share, but a few people have said to me that I am showing a tad bit, but I think they are just being nice bc they know I am ready to show off my bump :))
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    At 5'5" and just under 200 lbs I had my 16 week check up today and my OB said, "Oh, you've popped!" so I guess he can tell.

Saturday I wore capris and a t and nobody noticed. Sunday I wore a dress (a baby doll style so half of all women seem to look pregnant in those things anyway) --and saw some of the same people-- and everyone could tell. Again, hard to know if they're being polite / excited or if they really can tell. My husband says it changes day to day for him--and I'd agree with that.

Re: weight. My OB said today 10-15 lbs would be good, but that as long as I'm eating healthy and exercising that is what matters more than the number.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was 185 (5'6") and I'm now 19 weeks. I've been showing for about two weeks now but because my former pudge firmed up at around 13 weeks I've been unable to wear my old clothes since then.

Edited to add that my OB told me to keep it under 25 pounds or she'd start to harp on me. :)
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    Lisa I am now starting to feel the same way, if I wear certain clothes, I look a little pregnant, esp if its tights and a shirt, my hubby said I am looking pregnant to him, well I have a B shaped stomach so for me, once that B turns into a full O I can't tell myself LOL,

Torgrills, thats exciting that your starting to show already, I wish I was taller then maybe I would already be showing Lol...I got to be patient I keep telling myself, Probably one night I will wake up and poof there's that big O belly I have been wanting and waiting on..
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I cant see a difference at all but I guess it's early I'm 11 weeks...fingers crossed sticky baby
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This is my first pregnancy too. I was 215 (5'7) and I could tell at 9 weeks or so. My pants were getting tighter. Everyone else couldn't tell until about 14 weeks. I'm already in Maternity clothes now and I'm 17 weeks. My OB says 15 to 20 lbs max. I've gained 6 so far.
  • AlliH621
    AlliH621 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I weighed 190 when I got pregnant, and am also 5'4". I didn't start to show until I was about 5 months. Up until that point it just looked like I had let myself go. HA! Sad I know! My profile picture in the bue shirt was taken at 32 weeks, and I have only gained 19 pounds. So you can see from my picture, I am not that big for how far along I am.
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    ALLIH621- you do look small for 32 weeks, thats pretty good you only gained 19 pounds so far, my goal is to try to keep my weight gain at 15 pounds, I am now 16 weeks and I have lost 1 pound, so far I haven't realLy been gaining, but I know the weight will start coming on soon, hopefully no more than 1/4 to 1/2 pound a week :) ....
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My goal is 15-20 lbs max.... We shall see. At nearly 17 weeks I'm up about 3 lbs. Trying to keep it at or below maintenance (no need for +300 calories since I'm already overweight) and walking as much as possible. I've been bad lately about getting "formal exercise" in but can't think of the last time I sat down for more than 10 minutes--except for meals--so I know I'm plenty active.

Still no visible "bump". My MD could tell the baby is moving up from my exam and the heartbeats loacation is moving on up so I'm sure it's just a matter of time!
  • AlliH621
    Options
    ALLIH621- you do look small for 32 weeks, thats pretty good you only gained 19 pounds so far, my goal is to try to keep my weight gain at 15 pounds, I am now 16 weeks and I have lost 1 pound, so far I haven't realLy been gaining, but I know the weight will start coming on soon, hopefully no more than 1/4 to 1/2 pound a week :) ....

Thank you! I'm pretty happy that I don't have a belly that's much bigger, because that would only make me more uncomfortable the next 6-7 weeks - and July/August heat........not a good combination! So far, the only discomfort I have is sleeping (switching from side to side) and lower back pain when I first stand up after sitting for a while.

That is GREAT that you are 16 weeks and lost a pound! You are on the right track because most of the weight comes on at the end. Way to go!!! Just drink a ton of water and make sure baby is getting healthy food since it sounds like you may not be eating much. Does the baby get nurishment from stored fats the mother has if they don't get it from food? I guess I don't know the answer to that.

The one thing I tried to do throughout my pregnancy is eat small meals (snacks really) - healthy choices too. Then dinner was the only bigger meal I had, and even then I couldn't eat as much as I used to be able to eat. (for example - only half a chicken breast or half a pork chop, half a baked potato with broccoli or something like that).

I think the reason for my lack of appetite is two things: 1) heartburn daily - makes me not want to eat because everything gives me heartburn. 2) I think my stomach just doesn't have the same amount of room that is used to have, so I get full much faster.

I never had morning sickness - I only got sick maybe 6 or 7 times early on, and every time it was in the evening, and I think EVERY time was when I ate too much - the opposite of what they tell you (morning sickness is due to an empty stomach, right?). Anyways, that helped me get on track with eating smaller meals.

An ultrasound at 32 weeks showed that baby boy is doing good. They estimate his weight at 4.7 pounds. Friends have told me that will probably mean a 8 pound baby. I guess we will see in about 7 weeks!
  • AlliH621
    Options
    My goal is 15-20 lbs max.... We shall see. At nearly 17 weeks I'm up about 3 lbs. Trying to keep it at or below maintenance (no need for +300 calories since I'm already overweight) and walking as much as possible. I've been bad lately about getting "formal exercise" in but can't think of the last time I sat down for more than 10 minutes--except for meals--so I know I'm plenty active.

Still no visible "bump". My MD could tell the baby is moving up from my exam and the heartbeats loacation is moving on up so I'm sure it's just a matter of time!

Lisa - this is great! You are17 weeks?!!! Congrats! I guess you can ignore my personal message I sent you, because I was wondering how you were doing. Then I saw your reply to this note! I'm so glad your pregnancy is going well!!!

I didn't really obey the doctors orders to add an additional 300 calories either.