Need some protein Ideas!!

I am almost 4 months pot-op and I am getting tired of eating the same things. I need some ideas to pack my diet with more protein. Any help would be great!

Replies

• specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Hi! What are you currently eating for protein? I can try and help suggest a few if I know what you are currently eating (and tired of).

Here are some of my own protein items:

- Gerber Graduates Lil Sticks (turkey and the chicken ones). The baby food version of vienna sausages. These are soft, 9 grams of protein for the container, and I actually really like the taste.
    - Almonds
    - Boiled eggs
    - Cottage Cheese
    - Greek yogurt, I like the Chobani brand for now
    - Tofu
    - Fried pork skins (chicharones)
    - Liverwurst (although very high in fat). Was eating a little bit of this due to my low iron levels.
    - Soy nuts
    - Sardines
    - Blue cheese
    - Feta cheese
    - Black beans
    - Yellow split peas

I also mix a chocolate protein shake with my decaf coffee in the morning as my breakfast "mocha". Also check out verticalsleevetalk dot com. There are many discussions on this subject.
  • I am currently doing some shakes and jerky and normal food. I was looking for protein shake ideas, i am lacking in my protein and my hair is falling out and looking to get more in without having to eat more. I can barely get my water, food and vitamins in in a one day.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

She has a lot of other ideas for foods, but her protein shake ideas are really good. Also try Quinoa in place of rice, potatos, or pasta.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Hi,

Just recently granted the rights to eat real food here.

If you are still on the liquids or mushy and in need of extra protein, you might look into a protein powder. In the hospital they gave us something from Nestle. I was going to look into buying it, but discovered when I could start eating mush type foods I was having less problem getting in my protein.

Hopefully you are near the mush stage and can add some ground/soft natural protein sources back into your diet.

Oh, the blog posted earlier is WONDERFUL. Check it out. That lady has a bunch of great ideas spread through that blog.

Good luck.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Hi,

Just recently granted the rights to eat real food here.

If you are still on the liquids or mushy and in need of extra protein, you might look into a protein powder. In the hospital they gave us something from Nestle. I was going to look into buying it, but discovered when I could start eating mush type foods I was having less problem getting in my protein.

Hopefully you are near the mush stage and can add some ground/soft natural protein sources back into your diet.

Oh, the blog posted earlier is WONDERFUL. Check it out. That lady has a bunch of great ideas spread through that blog.

Good luck.

I would also suggest that you check out Bariatric Foodie. She has written a whole book on protein shakes, available on Amazon.com. Her name is Nikki Massie. She also has a blog, and tons of recipes that are high in protein. She is a post-op RNY.
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Lots of good suggestions here! I didn't like greek yogurt by itself, and I got really sick, really fast of cottage cheese. Honestly chicken and other sliced deli meats were my staples at that point post-op for me. I tried very hard to get most of my protein from food as quickly as possible as I didn't like the shakes. Let me see if I can copy/paste one of my daily meals on here from about 4 months out to help (make sure you follow your doc's recommendation though as every nutritionist/surgeon has diff food recommendations).
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    I couldn't figure out a good way to post it, but here was a typical day for me and it usually came in around 65 grams of protein. This was actually from about 6 months out, though, so I might have had a bit more capacity . . .

B: egg beaters omelet with shredded cheese, diced ham, some veggies. Piece of light wheat toast with simply fruit spread.

L: if I was being good, a small salad from work with chicken, hard-boiled egg, little cheese, veggies with a small amount of ranch or oil/vinegar dressing. Eating on the run - fast food burger with only half the bun, or taco bell (insides of a chicken fresco taco, or a crunchy beef taco with only half the shell). Or mexican restaurant - fajitas with no tortillas - usually about 2-3 oz of the meat, some of the sides/veggies (and a few chips!).

D: protein of some sort, about 3 oz (chicken, smoked sausage, beef). about an oz of some sort of cheese (regular, laughing cow, babybel, etc.). maybe a few veggies like carrots or cucumbers.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I used an unflavored protein powder to help boost the amount of protein in almost everything I was eating at that point. Everything needed to be moist anyway, so all sauces/broths had it. That also helped me add new thing to the mix that maybe didn't have a lot of protein on their own, but the powder brought them up to where I needed them to be.
  • joslynjeanne
    joslynjeanne Posts: 17 Member
    To up my protein I add mozzarella cheese (I'm allergic to most other cheeses, but I'm sure any low fat cheese would work). I throw it on top of an egg for breakfast, into soups, into salads. At least twice a day I'd say. it helps add protein and doesn't feel like I'm adding food when I am easily full.