work out #14, feeling fatigued

Options
ninakale
ninakale Posts: 49 Member
So, I had my 14th work out this morning. I felt very fatigued. I work out at 4:30 am, this is the only time available to me. I roll out of bed, and go. Should I bother trying to eat something on the way to the gym? I wouldn't have 5 minutes to digest, but feel that some food to fuel the fire might be good. Wondering if protein shake before bed might help? Any suggestions?

BTW, squats sucked it today, had to deload 10 pounds due to aforementioned fatigue, but did hit 1x my BW for Deads, so not all is bad :happy:

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I started eating a Clif snack-size builder bar before I work out. I don't get up quite as early as you (5:40 or so). I started eating that and having a cup of coffee about 10 minutes before I work out. I do seem to notice a difference in energy if I've eaten a good dinner the night before, so a protein shake at night might help, too.
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think you should inhale what you can. 20 minutes into your workout, it will help you.
  • ninakale
    Options
    I will hit up CVS this afternoon and try to find something like that then. I will give it a try to see if it helps, but man, I was so disappointed taking weight off for my 5th set today. Was such a let down as I have only been progressing up until this point!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5:15, and I just have a glass of soy milk before I go. Sometimes I forget to drink it, so I work out fasted. However, I haven't had any issues with it. If you are getting fatigued in your workout, try to get something in your stomach to give you some energy throughout the workout. Maybe a little bit of carbs for immediate energy and some protein for sustained energy. A protein bar wouldn't be bad, but I'm too cheap for those. I find half a peanut butter sandwich is fine.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    When I started becoming fatigued while lifting, i started eating half a banana before leaving for the gym.

and absolutely what you eat the night before counts!! i notice a big difference between when i eat a light meal, like a salad with some protein versus a serious calorie fest like a burger and a sweet potato.

this is why i have learned to eat well, and with good macros the night before i lift. i hate feeling weak and dizzy and know i did it to myself.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If you are on workout 14, you also might need to adjust your caloric needs - are you lifting on a deficit? I was right around this stage when every workout was tough - with or without food beforehand. I upped my calories from 1800 to 2000 and that solved the problem. So that might be something worth thinking about.

I often make my protein shake the night before and put half in the fridge and half in the freezer. I drink the fridge half on the way to the gym, and let the freezer half defrost in the car while I lift so it's ready when I come back out. Now that it is getting hot I probably can't do that anymore - but having a little something really helps. Also, ice cream. :smile: It sounds like we are just making it up, but it is a really good balance of carbs, fat and protein, and it stays with you through the night and in to the morning. But get the good stuff. No low-fat or reduced calorie business. :smile:
  • ninakale
    Options
    If you are on workout 14, you also might need to adjust your caloric needs - are you lifting on a deficit? I was right around this stage when every workout was tough - with or without food beforehand. I upped my calories from 1800 to 2000 and that solved the problem. So that might be something worth thinking about.

I often make my protein shake the night before and put half in the fridge and half in the freezer. I drink the fridge half on the way to the gym, and let the freezer half defrost in the car while I lift so it's ready when I come back out. Now that it is getting hot I probably can't do that anymore - but having a little something really helps. Also, ice cream. :smile: It sounds like we are just making it up, but it is a really good balance of carbs, fat and protein, and it stays with you through the night and in to the morning. But get the good stuff. No low-fat or reduced calorie business. :smile:

I am eating on a deficit, I am doing TDEE -15, give or take. I think I might have to focus on hitting macros and try upping calories, although I loathe to do that in June, as I am still trying to get off a few pounds. I will try going up 100 or so and see how that helps/hurts- and think I will add those calories on my way to the gym! Thanks all, happy hump day.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if this is an obvious question: do you have rest days built in to your schedule? Back in the day when I was working out something fierce, I really felt it if I skipped my rest day. And every once in a while, I"d need a couple of days in a row.
  • ninakale
    Options
    Forgive me if this is an obvious question: do you have rest days built in to your schedule? Back in the day when I was working out something fierce, I really felt it if I skipped my rest day. And every once in a while, I"d need a couple of days in a row.

I do, I cherish my rest days! However, I am the tiniest bit off this week because last week I was sick, like unable to get out of bed for 2 days sick, and missed my Wednesday work out (I do M,W,F). So I went back to schedule on Friday and had only 1 day off since then, so missed my normal Sat/Sunday off as I run on my lift days. It could be tiredness due to off schedule and still somewhat recovering from sick.

OR...I could just be over thinking the whole thing and should carry on!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have two rest days a week, and they are glorious!! Mondays and Wednesdays I don't do any exercise (except walk a mile to my car).