Statutory Rape or Discrimination

Options
Gilbrod
Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
Here's one I haven't seen anyone blab about around here. Kaitlyn hunt, 18 year old high school senior, has a same sex relationship with a then 14 year old in FL. Parents get wind of it and call the cops. Some say it's discrimination, others say the law is the law. What do you all think? Go!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/teen-rejects-plea-deal-same-sex-relationship-case-article-1.1354721

Replies

• wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Any 18 year old having sex with a minor should be charged with statutory rape. Gender shouldn't matter.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ what's there to debate? Because she's a girl? Or because they both are?

I don't see the quandry here.
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    Well, reading the article, there's a lot of support for this girl to not be charged with the crime. Saying it was just highschoolers being highschoolers. Lots of groups like the ACLU, and others are supporting for the charges to be dropped. They even have the hacker group Anonymous backing her up. DA says that the parents didn't even file charges. The state did. They gave her a plea deal and she said taking it would be the same as admitting she's a monster, thus, declining it. Kaitlyn's parents are saying they're being discriminated against because she's a lesbian and the parent of the minor didn't like it at all. So I am interested to see where this case goes.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Any 18 year old having sex with a minor should be charged with statutory rape. Gender shouldn't matter.

Really? So the teenager who is in a sexual relationship with another teenager a couple of years younger was just fine having sex with said partner when they were both under 18, but should be charged with statutory rape for continuing that relationship after their 18th birthday? Doesn't make sense to me - in fact, in many cases, it sounds like absolute non-sense. In situations like this, irrespective of the genders of the two young people involved, where a relationship exists well-prior to one party turning 18, and coercion is not suspected, I don't think bringing statutory rape charges is reasonable or serves justice.

Re. this specific case, it seems relatively clear that the younger girls' parents had major issues with their daughter having a homosexual relationship. The girls were sexually active together before Kaitlyn turned 18, but there was little the parents could do, legally-speaking, to prevent it. Just a few days after Kaitlyn's birthday, the parents called the police... Given Florida's history of discriminatory behaviour towards non-heterosexual individuals*, and conservative state leadership, it's not surprising to me that the state brought charges, nor that Kaitlyn's parents are claiming discrimination. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find similar situations involving a young heterosexual couple where a more reasonable and less punitive approach has been adopted.

Many states (US and internationally)have so-called 'Romeo & Juliet' clauses or laws to prevent exactly this scenario, where a parent dislikes their child's choice of partner and uses the law and an age gap to separate their child from the disliked party, effectively - intentionally or otherwise - wrecking the older partner's life with a 'sexual predator' tag that is undeserved and will follow them around for the rest of their life, limiting their options and choices in the process.

*From the Equality Florida website, for example:
    "Throughout most of Florida, it is legal to fire someone or deny them access to housing or public accommodations because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). "
    http://eqfl.org/Discrimination
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    According to age of consent laws the 14 year old is not old enough to legally consent to sex. It was statutory rape before the other person turned 18. The difference is that person can be charged as an adult.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'm about to log off for the day, so will be brief, but it occurs to me that age of consent laws have not kept up with the realities of life in the present day... that's a whole 'nother debate, though!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    If any 18 year old were having sex with my 14 year old, and the law could help me stop it, I would.

A 14 year old child is too young for an 18 year old to be having sex with, even if it began when they were 17 and 13.

In my mind this isn't about their genders or homosexuality at all. It's about parents protecting their minor children from outside influences. If the law helps them do it, I have no problem with that.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Most states have Romeo Juliet clauses that allow the over-18 peer to be a certain number of years older - 4 years is a reasonable number, but some are 3 years or less. If that isn't the law in this locality, the question is, is this how a heterosexual couple would be treated. If the law routinely overlooks 18/14 hetero relations, than it is discriminatory. If they routinely prosecute, no discrimination has occurred.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    If any 18 year old were having sex with my 14 year old, and the law could help me stop it, I would.

A 14 year old child is too young for an 18 year old to be having sex with, even if it began when they were 17 and 13.

In my mind this isn't about their genders or homosexuality at all. It's about parents protecting their minor children from outside influences. If the law helps them do it, I have no problem with that.

^this, shes 14, nuff said.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Each jurisdiction has an age before which it is considered impossible to give informed consent to sexual relations. To me, as a Brit, 18 sounds ridiculously high because it is 16 here, but in some places it is as low as 12. Japan had no age of consent at all until a decade or so ago...

So, if something's illegal it's illegal. Whether you think it immoral is probably linked to your notion of the norm wherever you are.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Each jurisdiction has an age before which it is considered impossible to give informed consent to sexual relations. To me, as a Brit, 18 sounds ridiculously high because it is 16 here, but in some places it is as low as 12. Japan had no age of consent at all until a decade or so ago...

So, if something's illegal it's illegal. Whether you think it immoral is probably linked to your notion of the norm wherever you are.

I think you read it wrong. The younger one is 14! The older one is 18.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter and she is 9...If she were 14 and was dating and 17/18 yr old I would have put a stop to it as soon as I could.... I wouldn't care what sex she was dating a 4 year age gap at that point is to much ....... She would still be in Jr high while the the 18 yr old is getting ready to go off to collage... Naha no way .........

My other question is why the parents didn't stop them from seeing each other before then.......I mean she is 14 ...do you know what my parents would have done to me at 14 if I was dating an 18 yr old ... HA .....

UPside is they didnt have to worry about her getting pregnant though
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    14 and 18 year olds are in high school together, was that the case here? As one of the youngest freshman in my school, I know I was plenty more mature than some of the seniors. I think the only way this would be inappropriate would be that the 18 year old has graduated and considered a person of authority. If they are both in school together, I would consider them peers.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think it should be brought to court and decided by a jury of 14-18 year olds.

pedo-bear-too-old.jpg
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    "The couple started dating a year ago, when the Smith's daughter was 14. The legal of age consent in Florida is sixteen.

The Smiths allegedly warned Hunt twice to stay away from their daughter. But the relationship continued. At one point, the younger girl started to act out.

Then, she ran away.

The Smiths walked into their daughter's bedroom one morning and discovered that she was missing. They panicked, fearing that she had been abducted. When they later learned that Hunt had picked their daughter up, it was the last straw."

That's from the article. She was given a couple of chances to stop the relationship. I just think about the attorney who is advising the 18 year olds parents. It looks like they're hoping that the media attention will sway jurors or the courts.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Most states have Romeo Juliet clauses that allow the over-18 peer to be a certain number of years older - 4 years is a reasonable number, but some are 3 years or less. If that isn't the law in this locality, the question is, is this how a heterosexual couple would be treated. If the law routinely overlooks 18/14 hetero relations, than it is discriminatory. If they routinely prosecute, no discrimination has occurred.

this is pretty much how i feel about it.

the problem is that - with teenagers in general and female teens specifically - the idea of maturity is SO individualized. at 14 many kids are working and helping to pay bills at home. at 18 many are just "hanging out". who is the more mature? it's VERY possible that a 14/18 relationship is a true peer relationship.

that's what makes the enforcement of statutory w/ teen relationships so hard to pigeonhole. if i were the judge assigned, i would have them both talk to a court-appointed therapist to see if there was any coersion. b/c of individualized maturity, the statutory cases (w/ teen relationships) must also be individualized. no matter the orientation of the parties involved.