HEALTHY RECIPES

Options
Please post any healthy recipes you want to share here. Near the end of the summer we will combine them into a cookbook that may be printed out or saved on your computer.

Enjoy!

Replies

• traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    http://www.livebetteramerica.com/recipes/healthified-nut-and-berry-salad-toss/37eea097-7c30-4d0a-ba7f-a5fcdfdec925
    Delicious and refreshing.
    This is what I had for dinner last night and even my 2 year old ate it.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Easiest soup ever..
    1 butternut squash
    1large onion
    1 red pepper
    2-3 veg stock cubes

Chop up......Cook in saucepan until soft...... Blitz.... Salt and pepper to taste
    DONE
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here are my recipes for Healthy Eating Day. (Tuesday for me)

**Bacon Cheeseburger Wraps (serves 2)**

Lg Flour Tortilla
    3 oz 95% Lean Ground Beef, cooked and crumbled. (Can use Ground Turkey)
    1 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded
    1 Strip Bacon, crumbled
    ¼ Cup Lettuce, chopped
    ¼ Cup Onions, diced
    1 Slice Tomato, diced
    Dill Pickle Relish (optional)

• Brown Hamburger. I brown mine in a microwave to avoid adding additional oil.
    • Distribute cooked hamburger evenly on flour tortilla.
    • Add bacon.
    • Top with shredded cheese.
    • Microwave for about 30 seconds.
    • Add remaining ingredients.
    • Roll into wrap, cut in half.

Calories per serving: 261
    Carbohydrates: 21
    Fat: 10
    Protein: 21

**Grilled Asparagus (serves 4)**

1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

•Preheat grill for high heat.
    •Lightly coat the asparagus spears with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    •Grill over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or to desired tenderness.

Calories per serving: 53
    Carbohydrates: 4.5
    Fat: 3.5
    Protein: 2.5
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Healthy Eating Day officially is today for me.

Chicken "Pizza"

Ingredients:
    Chicken Breast
    Pasta Sauce (jar or make your own)
    Cheese
    Toppings of your choice

Directions:
    Pound flat the chicken breast (flat as you can). Quickly cook it in a pan with oil or your favorite method. top chicken with sauce and cheese then bake in the oven like a pizza. Low carb high protein "pizza". You can top with whatever you like.

Have fun!
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This was my healthy day. I used the modified recipe with only one Ramen noodle package =) since I was being good.

It's a great cold salad on a hot day.

Oriental Cabbage Salad – original
    > Salad:
    > 1 pack (large) slaw mix
    > 6 green onions, chopped
    > 2 packages chicken flavored Ramen noodles
    > 1/2 cup almonds, slivered
    > 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    > 3 tablespoons butter
    >
    > Brown noodles, almonds, sesame seeds in butter. Do noodles first for 2-5
    > minutes, then add other ingredients. Do not add to salad until noodles are cool and
    > salad is ready to eat (they get mushy).
    >
    > Dressing:
    > 2/3 cup vegetable oil
    > 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    > 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    > 2 packs of Ramen chicken flavoring
    > 4 tablespoons sugar
    > 1 teaspoon pepper
    >
    > Combine sauce ingredients and marinade/chill overnight if possible.
    >
    > Mix cabbage and onions and chill overnight if possible.
    >
    > Mix all together just before serving.
    >
    > (note, I didn't chill overnight, more like 4 hours...)

Our recipe modified:
    Salad:
    > 1 pack (large) slaw mix
    > 1 package chicken flavored Ramen noodles (toasted in sesame seed oil, 2 packages if I am feeling bad)
    > 2 tablespoons sesame seeds ( optional)

Dressing:
    > 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    > 1/3 c rice vinegar
    > 1/3 c lite soy sauce
    > 1/3 c sugar
    > 1 packs of Ramen chicken flavoring (optional depending on how much salt we want)
  • SummerMM1
    SummerMM1 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tilapia-Dinner_zpsa5855e4d.jpg
    Sorry I don't know how to re-size

My healthy dinner is Parmesan-Crusted Tilapia
    Makes: 4 servings
    Prep: 10 mins
    Cook: 10 mins

Ingredients
    3/4cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
    4 tilapia fillets (about 1 pound total)
    1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a shallow dish, combine the cheese with the paprika and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the fish with olive oil and dredge in the cheese mixture. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until the fish is opaque in the thickest part, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the fish with the lemon wedges.

186 calories per serving. If you don't use the lemon than it is 182 calories

It is healthy for you because it is fish so it has protein and lots of vitamins that you need and it is low in calories.
    I had 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegtables with it 60 calories and 1/2 cup rice 100 calories for a total of 342 calories. As yo can see lots of food on the plate for very low calories. Full, filling, and oh so good for you.

First time trying it and loved it, my hubby liked it and my 10 year old son loved it. My 3 year old daughter well she is 3 years old LOL. I hope you all enjoy. :happy:
  • dmdegrassi
    dmdegrassi Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm cooking healthy tonight by cooking a Crockpot Beef Roast Medley. It's a great meal for when you're busy, which today I'm crazed! Here's the recipe.

Crockpot Beef Roast Medley

Serves 6 persons

1 1/2 lbs Beef Bottom Round Roast Boneless (or another beef cut that's leaner)
    2 Cans Whole Canned Potatoes (or fresh potatoes uncooked but cut into 6-8 pieces)
    1/2 Bag Baby Carrots
    3 Cloves Fresh Garlic (cut into small stakes)
    1 Vidalia Onion (sliced and split apart)
    1 1/2 Cups Water
    Salt and Pepper and other seasonings measured for your taste and/or dietary needs

In a large crockpot, place drained potatoes, split onion slices, carrots, water and seasoning. Mix.

In a large frying pan, sear all sides of the roast so they are lightly brown/gray.

Place roast on top of vegetables with any fatty portions that you left on the top (this will melt away when it cooks and add flavor, so if you cut off too much you will need to add more spices).

Using a small knife make a stab in the top of the roast and keeping the knife there to guide it, push in a garlic stake. Continue to do this on the type or sides of the roast until all the garlic is placed. If you run out of room, toss the remaining garlic in with the veggies on the bottom.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

P.S. My family isn't a big veggie eater. Any veggies that can be placed in a slow cooker (that won't turn to complete mush) may be used. You can also all veggies for the last hour if they are fast cooking. Enjoy!
  • PrajnaFaux
    PrajnaFaux Posts: 45
    Options
    Here's my healthy recipe! Anything I can make at home, instead of get at a restaurant, is healthier. I'm not tempted to eat too much, since I can pack away the leftover. And I'm only eating the one dish, rather than some of everything!

Homemade (but not from scratch) Panang Curry

Serves 8 158 calories per serving

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into small pieces
    1 jar Fresh & Easy red curry simmer sauce
    1/2 can light coconut milk
    1 cup (about 1 whole) red bell pepper, sliced in half, then in thin strips
    1 small white onion, sliced in half, then in thin strips (optional)
    Cooking spray or a non-stick skillet (I use cast iron with spray)

Saute onion until soft.
    Add red curry sauce.
    Pour coconut milk into red curry sauce JAR. Put on the lid and shake well. Then pour milk into skillet with onion.
    Stir until heated.
    Add red pepper slices and chicken. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink.
    Serve over rice. (This caloric info is not included in recipe because some may like different amounts/kinds of rice. I serve it over 1 cup of sticky, Japanese-style rice.)

If you like it more spicy, you can add different peppers or a dash of cayenne.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I still have to post my healthy recipe from last week!

Dressing for a salade goes:

15 ml Balsamico vinegar
    30 ml milk
    sweetner fluid

mix all together and use for salade, weather as a meal or for a side dish.
    Depending on which you prepare a salade mixed leaves (side dish) or with tuna and some cheese (for a meal)
  • PrajnaFaux
    PrajnaFaux Posts: 45
    Options
    These recipes are making me hungry! Especially the pot roast with garlic stakes - who would have thought? Great idea for flavor, as I love garlic.

And chicken "pizza" will definitely be coming my way soon. I have a lone chicken breast in the fridge just waiting to be pounded!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Low carb pizza - this crust is made with mozzerella and cheddar (if you want) cheese and eggs.

An MFP friend posted it yesterday and I made it this afternoon. I think I'm in love! Even my husband like it and every time I say low-carb he kind of cringes!!

Anyway, it was delicious - I had two pieces for dinner and I'm stuffed. Works for me!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/549376-thin-crispy-pizza-crust-easiest-ever-pics-included.html
  • dmdegrassi
    Options
    Low carb pizza - this crust is made with mozzerella and cheddar (if you want) cheese and eggs.

An MFP friend posted it yesterday and I made it this afternoon. I think I'm in love! Even my husband like it and every time I say low-carb he kind of cringes!!

Anyway, it was delicious - I had two pieces for dinner and I'm stuffed. Works for me!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/549376-thin-crispy-pizza-crust-easiest-ever-pics-included.html

I'm going to have to try this one. Of course I can't let my hubby see me making it or he probably won't touch it!!! :)
  • naticksdonna
    Options
    Ha! - My husband turned up his nose when he saw me making it but, God Bless Him, he's a trooper and willing to try anything once! He liked it but I wasn't sure if he was just being polite until this morning when he asked if he could have some for lunch!!!! It has softened up a bit but I'll warm it in the oven to crisp it again.. WooHoo!!

P.S. I read the comments on it before I made it to get everyone's take and maybe glean a few tips. It helped!
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    Ha! - My husband turned up his nose when he saw me making it but, God Bless Him, he's a trooper and willing to try anything once! He liked it but I wasn't sure if he was just being polite until this morning when he asked if he could have some for lunch!!!! It has softened up a bit but I'll warm it in the oven to crisp it again.. WooHoo!!

P.S. I read the comments on it before I made it to get everyone's take and maybe glean a few tips. It helped!

I am going to try this one! Thanks:)...I read about 3 pages of replys on the link....what tips do you have to share?

Thanks again Donna! U DA BOMB!
  • naticksdonna
    Options
    Hey Beth Ann,

I made it with 2 cups of shredded mozzerella and 1 cup of shredded cheddar and I think I agree with the OP thati it makes a crispier crust. I also topped it with fresh mozzerella and my homemade sauce but I was thinking that fresh tomato slices, peppers and onions and fresh mozzerella would be supa!! Ground sausage, mushrooms, ground beef, even chicken!! OOoo, I want to make another one now!!!
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My healthy recipe for today. I am taking to a BBQ

Corn, Black Bean Salad

1 Corn on the Cob
    1 Can Bush's - Black Beans-Low Sodium drained
    1 red onion medium chopped
    1 Jalapeno Pepper diced small
    2 cup cherry tomatoes (one small pint should be about 2 c) Cut in half or 1/4
    1 lemon or a lime juiced
    Cilantro - 1/8c Chopped fine (fresh if possible)

Grill corn if possible the remove from ear (or use frozen corn and just dethaw), Chop remaining veggies. (can add green pepper instead of Jalapeno) Squeeze lemon/lime and mix all ingredients. Leave it sit for a while.

for 6 servings about 88 calories each. (those are big servings)

Optional add ins: (not in calorie count)
    salt/pepper to taste
    Avocado
    Chick peas
    other grilled veggies like squash
  • SummerMM1
    Options
    StrawberryCrustlessPie_zpsc3832731.jpg

Strawberry Crustless Pie-

8 Servings
    56 Calories

Ingredients

2 small boxes fat free/sugar free Cook & Serve vanilla pudding mix
    1 small box sugar free strawberry jell-o
    2 cups water
    1lb. sliced fresh or frozen strawberries

Instructions

1. Place sliced strawberries in glass pie pan.
    2. In saucepan mix pudding mix and water stirring till it is almost comes to a boil.
    3. Add the box of strawberry jell-o (powder only).
    4. Stir constantly, do not let it come to a boil, but let get thick, it only takes a minute.
    5. Remove from heat.
    6. Pour over berries, filling in all the cracks.
    7. Put in fridge for at least 2 hours.

I just loved this recipe. I made it for Fathers Day and everyone loved it (even the kids), there is no left overs. I hate jell-o but you don't taste it. It is only in there to give it a little more strawberry flavor and thickener. When yo eat it yo swear you added sugar to it but you haven't. It is so darn good it doesn't need a crust, truthfully a crust would ruin it.

this is a good dish because you get in your fruit, it satisfys your sweet tooth, you can eat a lot of it and it isn't that much calories.
  • naticksdonna
    Options
    Ok - I give up! What is it? Looks good!!
  • SummerMM1
    Options
    Ok - I give up! What is it? Looks good!!

Sorry was working on putting everything on there just wanted to make sure the pic would show up. I have everything written below it now :smile: and it is very yummy!!!!
  • dmdegrassi
    Options
    These recipes are making me hungry! Especially the pot roast with garlic stakes - who would have thought? Great idea for flavor, as I love garlic.

And chicken "pizza" will definitely be coming my way soon. I have a lone chicken breast in the fridge just waiting to be pounded!

My husband's family has always added the garlic that way. I still remember when we were first married and I put a roast in the oven. I went into the other room for something and came back to find hubby had removed it from the oven and was stabbing it full of garlic. I was deeply offended at first, but I have learned that the stakes really add to the flavor!