Anyone planning to do Weight Watchers after baby arrives?

Options
JennyV2013
JennyV2013 Posts: 37 Member
I'm thinking the accountability of the in person meetings might be helpful for me. But I don't feel like paying $30/month or whatever WW is these days!

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE WW and the support they offered at the meetings, but I was easily able to replace that with MFP by befriending a lot of like minded people and using the them and the site for accountability. It saves a ton of money!

I also learned that I can lose basically the same amount of weight eating at a small cut from my TDEE, which comes up to a LOT more than WW allows me to eat in a day. Total WIN! Because of that I do not think thier philosophy would work for me again. I just like food way to much and like losing eating the maximum amount!!
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was never successful doing WW, I tend to overeat carbs as they are lower points. I was doing the ketogenic diet very well and will probably pick it up again. Not to be rude, but isn't MFP the easier, free alternative (same basic concept) to WW? It seems this site would really hurt WW business since it's the same premise and free! I found some really supportive friends on here that keep me accountable and help me along the way. My memory of WW meetings is weigh in, buy the nasty snacks, and sit around and talk about food, then go gorge b/c you had a week to weigh in lol!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'll probably do it. I was on it prior to becoming pregnant and was having a lot of success (after a long no-weight-change slump on MFP). To me, the focus on there was on healthy foods so I ate a lot of lean meats & veggies. I found myself avoiding carbs since they tend to be higher points. On here, I have the "a calorie is a calorie" mentality. While I agree it can get a little expensive I think it is a great tool to restart things. I read the runsforcookies.com blog and it was her WW success that got me interested in the first place. She'd been on sparkpeople.com forever and, while she lost a ton of weight, she never hit her goal weight. She and her husband did WW and it really changed her story for the better.

(Another reason I liked WW is several friends are on it--free or very discounted memberships are a common company perk around here--so it was easy when we went out.)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did WW after my first baby and successfully lost 25 pounds in 4 months, but I didn't find it was enough food for me. I think in the end it worked out to around 1,200 calories a day which for me at 5'8, and running around after a one year old just wasn't enough food. I liked the idea behind it though and it did teach me a lot about portion control. I did the meetings and I was motivated because I knew we were paying for it and I hate to waste money. This time I'll try the MFP approach with the TDEE- 20%, plus breastfeeding calories and see how I get on. I really struggled to lose the weight when I was breastfeeding last time (whether because I was overeating due to hunger or because my body was just holding on to whatever it could get, I don't know) so I'll interested to see if it will be the same again. I *should* have a lot less to loose this time though. ;)
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm just planning to continue with MFP after the baby, it's free and it really works. I lost 24lb in 2.5 months with this awesome tool and will be pre-baby weight before too long I'm sure :) I'll be going back to Jillian Michael's workouts for exercise, probably the 30 day shred or ripped in 30 and then see what is next.
  • jgrodzicki
    jgrodzicki Posts: 83
    Options
    I also have been successful in the past doing WW... but like some others on here, I don't think I will return. I am a lifetime member of WW, but even before getting pregnant I hadn't gone in a while and I was 20 lbs. over goal... and the thought of paying again killed me. I originally paid for WW for about 9 months and lost ~30 lbs. So for me it definitely worked. But I also feel I KNOW what I need to know to lose weight - I just have to do it. So after baby, I will just focus hard on MFP with a great group of supporters and actually practice what I've learned over the past few years. ;)
  • JennyV2013
    JennyV2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What is the TDEE - 20% a few of you mentioned? i know there is a lot about MFP I haven't learned so maybe if I spend more time on here that will help me find success. In the end, it's all about my own motivation and drive to lose the weight.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I personally have had way more success with MFP than I ever did with WW. If you need accountability, can you maybe get a friend / family member to log with you and maybe you can have a weekly weigh in together....you know, keep other on track?
  • jgrodzicki
    jgrodzicki Posts: 83
    Options
    What is the TDEE - 20% a few of you mentioned? i know there is a lot about MFP I haven't learned so maybe if I spend more time on here that will help me find success. In the end, it's all about my own motivation and drive to lose the weight.

I don't know how to copy the path to the thread, but it was something about the 'road map' which helps explain it... but to really explain it in a nutshell (which is not doing it justice), go to the below website and it will calculate your TDEE for you based on your personal information. Then you eat 20% less than that to lose weight. I am by no means an expert tho ;)

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

**TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Check out In Place of a Road Map group on here. It is your daily total calorie expenditure minus 20%. A lot of people have great success with it. Another good calorie calculator is http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You can choose to include exercise calories or not. Some like to set it at sedentary and add in exercise calories or factor them in and count exercise as 1 cal burn. Either way it works well :)