I got my period! - Success story

Options
Hey there ladies!

I'd like to introduce myself as MB and I want to tell you about my story. In the summer of 2011 I got into a relationship with my lovely and wonderful boyfriend and began using birth control pills because I'm a young woman who enjoys intimacy, but definitely isn't ready for children. I had always struggled with my weight and at 5'5" and 150 lbs, I was definitely over weight. I ate whatever I wanted and as a senior in college, exercise was of minimal interest to me. As I took birth control, I saw a 10 lb weight gain and my period started coming only every 2 months, which doctors told me was typical, so I didn't think anything of it.

Last summer, summer 2012, my boyfriend and i entered a long distance relationship so I decided to stop taking birth control - -- bad idea #1. I gained 10 lbs and my period did not come except for once that summer. By October 2012, my weight was up to 180 lbs and I started experiencing frequent urination, I mean peeing literally every hour, sometimes twice an hour. I went to the doctor and they could not help me, thinking it was merely a urinary infection that would go away with medication. I did a blood test and everything came back "normal."

In January 2013 I decided to go to Curves gym and started on their Curves Complete diet program. I learned how to eat, but admittedly did not start sticking to it until I ended up gaining ANOTHER 10 lbs and weighed 192 lbs. My Curves coach happened to be a dietician and told me she thought I had PCOS and insulin resistance and encouraged me to go low carb. I read the south beach diet and entered phase 1. Sure enough, I lost 4 lbs and and have kept it off since, this being March of this year. AND my period came immediately. But, I hit the carb flu and couldn't take it, so I started eating carbs again. My Curves coach told me I need to get potassium and magnesium supplements and so I started to do more research about PCOS

That's when I started taking EstroSmart which rids the body of excess estrogen. It's made from all vitamins, all natural. I started taking tons of supplements - Cinnamon, Cranberry, Selenium, A multivitamin, Pumpkin seed oil, Omega Fish Oil Pill, magnesium and potassium. I am proud to announce that in combination with low carb dieting and exercising three times a week, my period is back again this month, the first time it has come back to back since 2011.

I am going to stick to the diet and exercise and I'm going to start Couch to 5K tomorrow. I watch what I eat closer than ever before and I am dedicated to going to the gym on a daily basis. I am so happy and I am sharing this story with you all. Low carb, exercise and I'd like to think especially the cinnamon and EstroSmart have made ALOT of difference for me!!

Replies

• samantharoseroth
    Options
    Can totally relate to all of this. Still on my journey as well. Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. You will definitely get the results you've been searching for!
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    Can totally relate to all of this. Still on my journey as well. Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. You will definitely get the results you've been searching for!

Thanks so much Samantha :)
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Good for you :) I am all smiles for you! Seeing as how I have a Dr. appointment in two days to discuss the possibility of PCOS for me, I was just curious..is frequent urination a symptom? I have not read that, but I do seem to go a lot! I have adopted a loving nickname of "peepants" from my boyfriend. lol

Also, when your period came back was it abnormally painful? Thanks in advance if you read this :)
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    Good for you :) I am all smiles for you! Seeing as how I have a Dr. appointment in two days to discuss the possibility of PCOS for me, I was just curious..is frequent urination a symptom? I have not read that, but I do seem to go a lot! I have adopted a loving nickname of "peepants" from my boyfriend. lol

Also, when your period came back was it abnormally painful? Thanks in advance if you read this :)

Hello, I haven't heard it was a symptom of PCOS, it's more likely a symptom of insulin resistance, which is essentially prediabetes. My period was not painful or heavier than normal at all. It was actually a full day shorter.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I have heard that frequent urination is usual side effect when people are losing weight, or at least when they first start, as your body gets used to a different diet. Not sure if it is a symptom of PCOS, but I definitely have to pee all the time. It's really annoying.

The first period I had after going without for a year was SOOOO painful for the first day. I guess the painkillers I had taken before bed work off while I was sleeping because I was woken from sleep the first night in so much pain, I had to bite my pillow not to scream, and was crying until the new painkillers kicked in. BUT, that period was started because I started taking birth control, so for someone that gets it to start naturally might have a completely different experience. Each month since then it got less painful and by about the 5th month and every month since then I've had almost no pain at all. (Less even than I remember from when I was a teenager and actually occasionally got my period naturally).

I guess everyone probably has a different experience with that...
  • NoirDancer
    Options

I have heard that frequent urination is usual side effect when people are losing weight, or at least when they first start, as your body gets used to a different diet. Not sure if it is a symptom of PCOS, but I definitely have to pee all the time. It's really annoying.

The first period I had after going without for a year was SOOOO painful for the first day. I guess the painkillers I had taken before bed work off while I was sleeping because I was woken from sleep the first night in so much pain, I had to bite my pillow not to scream, and was crying until the new painkillers kicked in. BUT, that period was started because I started taking birth control, so for someone that gets it to start naturally might have a completely different experience. Each month since then it got less painful and by about the 5th month and every month since then I've had almost no pain at all. (Less even than I remember from when I was a teenager and actually occasionally got my period naturally).

I guess everyone probably has a different experience with that...

Yeah you're probably right about everyone having a different experience. I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing frequent urination because I've searched the internet and could not find anyone who described having the experience. Maybe it is related in some way.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Hello, I haven't heard it was a symptom of PCOS, it's more likely a symptom of insulin resistance, which is essentially prediabetes. My period was not painful or heavier than normal at all. It was actually a full day shorter.
    Yes, frequent urination is a symptom of insulin resistance which is pre-diabetes which is the early stages of diabetes... It's just not showing up on a glucometer yet.
  • CharRicho
    Options

Yes, frequent urination is a symptom of insulin resistance which is pre-diabetes which is the early stages of diabetes... It's just not showing up on a glucometer yet.

No. Insulin resistance can increase the risk of developing prediabetes and diabetes but IS NOT the same thing. Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body produces insulin but does not use it effectively. When people have insulin resistance, glucose builds up in the blood instead of being absorbed by the cells, leading to type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.

Prediabetes is a condition in which blood glucose or A1C levels—which reflect average blood glucose levels—are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.

Apparently frequent urination can be a symptom of high blood sugar, so during periods of time where your blood sugar is elevated because of the insulin resistance, that could cause frequent urination.

However, although my doctor indicated that I still likely have some degree of insulin resistance, my blood sugar has never tested elevated. So that's probably not the right explanation at least in my case.

Reference:
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/
  • photojunkie28
    photojunkie28 Posts: 292
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! My Dr. suspects PCOS and I have to go back in for tests next week. I had no idea so many things going on with me may be attributed to this.
  • NoirDancer
    NoirDancer Posts: 62
    Options

No. Insulin resistance can increase the risk of developing prediabetes and diabetes but IS NOT the same thing. Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body produces insulin but does not use it effectively. When people have insulin resistance, glucose builds up in the blood instead of being absorbed by the cells, leading to type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.

Prediabetes is a condition in which blood glucose or A1C levels—which reflect average blood glucose levels—are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.

Apparently frequent urination can be a symptom of high blood sugar, so during periods of time where your blood sugar is elevated because of the insulin resistance, that could cause frequent urination.

However, although my doctor indicated that I still likely have some degree of insulin resistance, my blood sugar has never tested elevated. So that's probably not the right explanation at least in my case.

Reference:
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/

Thanks for clearing it up! I tested very high for my testosterone levels so I'm going to the endocrinologist this friday.
  • CharRicho
    Options
    I'm very high on testosterone too :( It sucks!

Good luck at the endocrinologist!
  • nabzilla_uk
    nabzilla_uk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for sharing your success xxx
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    Update:

Progestorone Cream has worked wonders for my frequent urination and maybe even be aiding my cycle. That said, I've gotten my period for the 3rd time in a row. A visit to the endocrinologist yielded unsuccessful as he refused to do any testing. My weight has stayed the same, but my efforts to keep wait off have not been as strong as before.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my period back (not yet regularily) by taking Vitex and Saw Palmetto.

I went off the pill after 4 years, absent period for 1 year, then two periods induced with parsley tea (parsley tea can induce your period if you're already ovulated but haven't bled and I had symptoms that made me suspect I had ovulated) and the last two I got all on my own (those two came AFTER I started taking Vitex and Saw Palmetto together).
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    Awesome Kaytee! Thanks for the tips :-)
  • xbeccajane
    Options
    I too got my first normal period this month. All I take is Metformin and I eat pretty clean and excersie daily . I've lost 57lbs so far , and I constantly have to pee too! My doctor says there is nothing wrong with me, but personally I think it is all the water I drink, I have about 70oz a day
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    I too got my first normal period this month. All I take is Metformin and I eat pretty clean and excersie daily . I've lost 57lbs so far , and I constantly have to pee too! My doctor says there is nothing wrong with me, but personally I think it is all the water I drink, I have about 70oz a day

Maybe it is the water... I have 64 oz per day on a good day, but i feel it's partially hormonal too because when i use progesterone cream i feel relieved.
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    On the note of periods-- I used to only have one every 9 months to 1 year.
    When I do have one, it's REALLLLLY heavy and painful.

I started dieting in May, exercise started in mid-may.
    In mid may I also started taking the vitamin Triphala (dr oz recommended it, LOL)

One of the side effects is uterine/hormone health (yeah!)

Anyway, I started a lighter period than I've ever had the first week of june -- which is what I expect is "normal" for most people.

Now I think I just started again????
    So that makes me having a cycle every 24-25 days???

That doesn't sound right either.
    Maybe it's just cleaning out? (sorry if that is gross)

Please don't tell me to call/go to obgyn. That is NOT an option right now. ($$$$$)
  • CharRicho
    Options
    Update:

Progestorone Cream has worked wonders for my frequent urination and maybe even be aiding my cycle. That said, I've gotten my period for the 3rd time in a row. A visit to the endocrinologist yielded unsuccessful as he refused to do any testing. My weight has stayed the same, but my efforts to keep wait off have not been as strong as before.

Awesome news! I'm starting progesterone cream this month, so that is encouraging!
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    I got my period with progesterone cream. I did 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. It's much lighter and the cramps weren't as bad so far...I had spotting, which I usually don't have too much of. I would also say that my weight loss has begun again, since I have resorted back to the primarily low carb. Upping my cinnamon to 4000 mg per day really helps, I think.

More updates soon! Please feel free to add your own updates.