TARDIS in space.

Options
whierd
whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573935592/were-putting-a-tardis-into-orbit-really
We're sending a TARDIS into space!

November 23, 2013 is the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, and we're extremely excited. So excited, in fact, that we almost don't know what to do... almost. Actually, we know exactly what to do: We've built a replica TARDIS and we're sending it into orbit. Yes, really! We're not talking about sticking a little, plastic TARDIS on top of a model rocket and shooting it really high into the sky (although that would be wicked cool). And we're not going to tie a TARDIS to a weather balloon (which, by the way would also be pretty flippin' awesome). No, we're putting a TARDIS into the payload bay of a real, actual, honest-to-goodness, rocket, and launching it into a Low Earth Orbit.

Low Earth Orbit is where satellites need to be to actually "orbit" the Earth, not just fall back down. So, we're talking about sending this thing, really, really, high... space high. The international space station is in Low Earth Orbit. Seriously. The guys on the International Space Station will be able to look out their windows and say: "Check out that police call box floating by."

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573935592/were-putting-a-tardis-into-orbit-really
    We're sending a TARDIS into space!

November 23, 2013 is the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, and we're extremely excited. So excited, in fact, that we almost don't know what to do... almost. Actually, we know exactly what to do: We've built a replica TARDIS and we're sending it into orbit. Yes, really! We're not talking about sticking a little, plastic TARDIS on top of a model rocket and shooting it really high into the sky (although that would be wicked cool). And we're not going to tie a TARDIS to a weather balloon (which, by the way would also be pretty flippin' awesome). No, we're putting a TARDIS into the payload bay of a real, actual, honest-to-goodness, rocket, and launching it into a Low Earth Orbit.

Low Earth Orbit is where satellites need to be to actually "orbit" the Earth, not just fall back down. So, we're talking about sending this thing, really, really, high... space high. The international space station is in Low Earth Orbit. Seriously. The guys on the International Space Station will be able to look out their windows and say: "Check out that police call box floating by."

This is amazing!!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    that would be soooo cool but really really expensive
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I chipped in for 13.00 USD, so I'm getting project updates... and it looks like they're going to raise more than expected. Today's update:

Project Update #5: Due to the fantastic response, we're updating our systems

All right, when we built the TARDIS satellite we did it at home with whatever parts we could scrounge from friends and well-wishers because well, satellite stuff is just ridiculously expensive, and we just didn't have that kind of money lying around. But, now it looks like we're going to exceed our funding goal, so we're upgrading! Woohooo! - Our new antenna system will be an ISIS deployable antenna which is spring loaded and will extend once in orbit - significantly improving transmission ability, and we're switching out our computer controls for a CubeComputer - specifically designed for "nano-satellites."

• lbpowers0506
    lbpowers0506 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    another update: wheeeee!

3 Stags says:

Thank you so much for your support. We did it! Well, actually YOU did it. We will start collecting information for our backer rewards on Monday. Of course we will have to wait until the campaign ends and we have final quantities for t-shirts, posters, and blueprints before we can have them printed and shipped.

We still have 19 days left though, and additional funds will help us upgrade the components inside the TARDIS, and possibly even make it bigger... maybe even full size! So, keep telling people about it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, wherever.

Thanks again,

Robert and Alex

• tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I saw something about this last week on my facebook feed and immediately thought it was so fricken cool. I instantly turned around and messaged 3 really close friends that I knew also watch the show. I mean who wouldn't want to see a Tardis in space?!?! (ok I can think of a lot of fictional races in Doctor Who that might not appreciate it... but still)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    TARDIS in space!?! I'll have to tell the husband.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    So amazing! Are they going to broadcast it somewhere?
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Well the 50th anniversary isn't that far away now, has there been any update on this??