The 10% lost thing...do you buy into it?

Options
All,

Reading all these things on PCOS, PCOS diets, PCOS handbooks...etc. I find in all of them they eventually talk about how to self-regulate your hormones. More specifically, getting a regular cycle again. So many say that if you lose even 7%-10% of your weight may be all it takes.

Now, I don't know if that's "all it takes" but I know when I got down to my slimmest (about 207-212) i did start to have a more discernible cycle. Don't know if I'd call it regular, but was more than ever in my life. So much of me wishes I was there right now while ttc, rather than where I'm at currently.

Has anyone had anything like this happen when they've dropped weight? I know there's not magic number and we're all different, but I'm just curious.

Replies

• Finnellappe
    Options
    I've noticed that a 10% loss doesn't help with my cycle really. It's the exercise that sorts me out. I can go more than a year without getting a period by any time I exercise, I start spotting. If I continue with that exercise over a week or two, I get a period. I think with PCOS it can be very different for everyone though.
  • aegarvey
    aegarvey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with Finnellappe, it definitely depends on the individual. But for me, I had irregular cycles and for the most part no ovulation. I'm 12% down from there and within the last few months, it's become more regular (now in a normal timeframe, like 30-35 day cycles) and have been having all symptoms of ovulatory cycles. I still haven't conceived, but it feels much more on the right track, and I've only had a few "normal" cycles.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I officially hit ten percent lost at the end of March. I am on Metformin - my cycles have been pretty regular since my dosage was upped in July. I've gone anywhere from 30 to 60 days (but 60 was only once), usually around 35. And - I'm pregnant - just conceived in May, about a month and a half after I hit the 10 percent loss.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    lost 35% so far and still no cycle so nope the 10% is not always true
  • EWhitaker526
    EWhitaker526 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I lost a little less than 10% and got a period. They have all been like clock work since, and it's been 6 months. :happy:
  • SiobhanG
    SiobhanG Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm not sure about 10% but once I lost a little bit of weight my cycle came back again regularly after being irregular for the past few years.
  • rddy4change
    rddy4change Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is very encouraging. I have noticed that as I gained weight, the less my periods came. Started my journey, seriously, a few weeks ago. 10 pounds down a bunch to go!!! Thanks everyone.