Summer: Mom I am bored!!! 6/10

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
Summer School is here so what are you going to do with your kids? Think on it. We do not want our children to be in the same state we are so how can we teach them to eat right and exercise as A PART OF DAILY life and not a dreaded thing we have to do?
If you have no children then how can we be an example to others?
My nephews are in Wrestling camp and running camp this summer and I keep encouraging them and their parents to keep them exercising and themselves as well.
We as adults whether parents or not can be great examples to others. Ask someone with their kid to go walking with you, play frisbee, shoot some hoops or donate to a camp so a underpriviledged child can go this summer just do something! Don't let them sit around all summer. Maybe even start a garden whether in the ground or

Examine yourself and see how you can help others: children and/or other families.

Peace,
WW

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating getting my son to start lifting with me. That should be "fun".
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My kids are watching a new mom. Someone who puts her needs at the top every so often. I think that's a good example -- maybe they won't fall into the "well if there's time, I might work out, do something healthy etc"

My 6 year old daughter is in summer school and then an activity center in the afternoon. Lots of physical activity in both places. I also take her to the park some nights and weekends. She has started group activities like basketball, volleyball and soon to be soccer.

My 11 year old son is staying home this summer and he has a new IPOD that he bought for himself. Too easy to sit/lay around and just play on it! He has a chore list and some of his chores include exercising his mind, talent and body. He's "required" to read for 60 minutes, practice his saxophone 30 minutes and be outside a minimum of 60 minutes a day. He's one of those kids that once he starts something, he tends to stay at it for a while. This afternoon he's going to a water park from noon to ???? He's also going to learn the bussing system in our city so that he can enjoy the parks and/or pools when I'm busy working. He does enjoy sports too so this year he's asked to be in baseball, basketball and football.

As far as food goes, I don't remove the "bad" foods. I try to show them that balancing the food with the exercise is key. I'm hoping to get them to like vegetables and fruits better and have started using "Bountiful Baskets" every other week to keep the house full of new and old veggies and fruits. (If you haven't checked it out....give it a shot. You pay $15 for a basket of fruits and veggies that generally equal about $50....the variety changes weekly. http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ )
  • dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My sons are really active and go to the gym every day. One of my sons is at football camp this summer. The other one graduated but still works out like crazy - he wants to be in shape for the girls at ASU... Either way, it's the eating healthy I'm working on with them this summer. I've limited the number of soft drinks in the house and have implemented different flavored water in our fridge. Today's water flavor is cucumber and melon. I cut up different melons and some cucumber, added them to a huge water pitcher with a spout at the bottom. I'm sure it will be gone before I get home. Including the fruit... Tomorrow's flavor is raspberry and watermelon. The kids have loved the different flavors and look forward to each day being a new one. Any of the left over fruit, I bring with me to work.

It's been a nice addition to our usually boring summer. I let them plan the meals for dinner and it has to contain a starch, a protein and a veggie of some sort. So, when I get home, usually dinner is ready or is almost ready. The boys have loved cooking stuff and watching us eat it. I was worried at first, but they have done a great job.
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    my little brother runs races with me :) and is going to football camp and basketball camp. My little sister is doing cheer camp this summer... I kinda wish I could go to their camps with them!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    There's no one younger in my life to really set an example for. But... my parents have high cholesterol and the doc told my mom that her's is getting out of control. I'm going grocery shopping with her today to help pick out "better for you" foods. She is the only one if our family who is hell bent on NO EXERCISE and will not count a calorie to save her life. So maybe the way I've changed my eating habits will help her.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Well, don't have any kids since can't find the guy (not for lack of trying on my part... guess I'm gonna need to start going out with a bag over my head) and my nephew is just a baby and lives in Massachusetts, sadly, he is surrounded by people who have no motivation to do any type of exercise and eat whatever they want (and wonder why they can't lose weight) but when he gets older he will be asking them why can't they be more like Auntie Rae who kickboxes, runs, dances, and can spend all day running around Disney or Universal, or the park, or where ever with him without needing a break (and maybe if I can find a guy, he will be asking why his cousins are involved in dance or basketball or baseball or football or softball or soccer or karate or whatever activity it is that they wanted to do and he's not)
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am already hearing "I am bored" from my 11 yr old daughter. So I said "well, let's just take a walk, it's a nice after noon." She said " and do what?" I told her " just enjoy being out or go to the park and kick a ball around" then she says "how about walk to starbucks?" My daughters do like to get out and walk, but every time the destination is starbucks or Jamba juice or some other food related place. Tough to convince pre-teen and teenagers to simply walk for the enjoyment of being outside!!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Well I am so proud of all of you! YOU all rock! It is all about being more conscious! Just more aware to make the younger and older generation change for the better! Change can happen at any age! So happy guys I am sooooooo happy!
  • cdgirl
    cdgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have one daughter who is glued to her ipod 24/7 but we go for a 2 mile walk every evening.My 2nd oldest is going to play summer basketball.Even though it's only one day a week,I think it will be a great way for her to stay active.And my baby (9yr old) joining us on our walks and playing outside most days.I need THEM to keep ME on track! They are good motivators.