insulin NSV for me :)

Options
jw17695
jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
I was checking through my daily totals for the last week or so and noticed my daily insulin amounts were between 21 and 36. And for those of you who have seen my food diary know it's pretty carb heavy. (My BG has been equally as great. The highest was actually this morning at 168.)

Replies

• forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That's a nice discovery!

Total daily insulin use is one of my measures for fitness too. I've dropped from using 75-85 unit's per day last year to under 60 per day.

My ratio is about 50% bolus, 50% basal.

-Bob
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm the same way. Since going on Paleo and mostly cutting out the starchy carbs, my Lantus has dropped and it keeps dropping. :)
  • jianop
    jianop Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I went from about 55 units a day to 40 or less with my basal rates being the majority. Still trying to balance it so I stop waking up low!
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 60+ units a day to between 40 and 45! Yay!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Let's face it. We are awesome!!! Way to go everyone! :happy:
  • vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too have reduced from 55-60 units/day, down to 37-42. What really tells the story though is A1c from 8.3% down to 6.9%! That was awesome--lowest for decades. It's taken me lots of little steps down on the basal, while making sure I have the right amount for insulin-to-carb.

I'm using this principle to help all my insulin-dependent clients. Teaching them total daily dose TDD and how we shoot for ~50:50 ratio. Once they start moving a bit, as happened for me, then the basal can even move down further to 45% or 40%. For me it is telling. The higher the basal, the less active the person tends to be--me too.

My approach is to say, "Insulin is like money. Spend it very wisely and use it for what you really need and desire. Corrections are like paying interest on a loan--lost cash but has to be spent if we don't pay attention. You want to "buy your meal" at the best possible insulin price, while also assuring you get great nutrition and satisfaction. But, physical activity is like free gift cards--free insulin-effectiveness without spending any of our insulin budget. For the person who struggles with "good" and "bad" blood glucose readings, I tell them this is just like your car's gas gauge--you don't beat yourself up when your tank is heading down or up, you just use the information and take care of it. So important not to moralize our readings. This crazy disease is hard enough without making ourselves sad over readings.
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Love every bit of Vicki's post. Great stuff there.

BG is neither good nor bad. It's just data or information that can teach us something, if we are willing and able to gain the knowledge.

-Bob
  • Sweetie1429
    Sweetie1429 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too have reduced from 55-60 units/day, down to 37-42. What really tells the story though is A1c from 8.3% down to 6.9%! That was awesome--lowest for decades. It's taken me lots of little steps down on the basal, while making sure I have the right amount for insulin-to-carb.

I'm using this principle to help all my insulin-dependent clients. Teaching them total daily dose TDD and how we shoot for ~50:50 ratio. Once they start moving a bit, as happened for me, then the basal can even move down further to 45% or 40%. For me it is telling. The higher the basal, the less active the person tends to be--me too.

My approach is to say, "Insulin is like money. Spend it very wisely and use it for what you really need and desire. Corrections are like paying interest on a loan--lost cash but has to be spent if we don't pay attention. You want to "buy your meal" at the best possible insulin price, while also assuring you get great nutrition and satisfaction. But, physical activity is like free gift cards--free insulin-effectiveness without spending any of our insulin budget. For the person who struggles with "good" and "bad" blood glucose readings, I tell them this is just like your car's gas gauge--you don't beat yourself up when your tank is heading down or up, you just use the information and take care of it. So important not to moralize our readings. This crazy disease is hard enough without making ourselves sad over readings.

Awesome post! Well done everyone! I too have dropped my TDD from 35-40 to 25-30. Yay!