Ok..I'll be first

Options
Pyklez
Pyklez Posts: 8 Member
I joined because I am a 41yr old 29yr smoker..i have cut my habit in half over the last month from 2 packs a day to one pack. The goal is to finally quit or transition to an ecig if I cant. Im tired of being tired and not being able to keep up with my new dance class...I can make it 50 of the 60 min of class so far...so yaaaaaaaay me. How does everyone compensate on exercise v/s their habit?

Replies

• jar_of_hope
    jar_of_hope Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have only been smoking for 4 years, but when I exercise I feel like there is fluid on my lungs, and it's hard to breathe without coughing... So I think I've come to the conclusion that I will have to quit smoking, or stay fat.
  • shamilton1984
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I hadn't posted anything because I didn't know if people would actually join lol. I'm glad to see fellow smokers out there trying to get healthy in other ways :) I have been smoking for 13 years and have adamantly said I won't quit until I get pregnant. My doctors want me to quit smoking, lose weight and quit drinking pop all at the same time! I know I can't do it all so I settled for cutting back on nicotine and caffeine while dropping the weight :) Pyklez, my husband uses an ecig and he LOVES it. He actually "vapes" which is a little different but he still gets nicotine but he said his lungs feel much better. He's in the Army so he has to run a LOT and his run time has improved. I recommend TastyVapes.us for you. They have tutorials and they can help you choose the right stuff for you and what you want to accomplish. Congrats on 50 minutes! I barely make it through a 20 minute routine but that's because I'm so out of shape lol. Jap22, while 4 years of smoking is still enough time to be fully addicted, I would say try to quit sooner rather than later! I enjoy my cigarettes and don't want to quit right now but if I could've talked to my 15 year old self, I never would've started! lol
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    I've been smoking for 22 yrs (started when I was 12) and it doesn't seem to effect my workouts, if I'm just doing a couple miles on the treadmill I'll even have a smoke while doing it.

I've quit smoking three times, two of the times was when I was 17 & 18 while pregnant with the kiddo's.
    Then every time smoke prices went up ($80-$100 for a carton is insane when smoking 3-4 cartons a week!) hubby & I would try and quit did get us both down to about half a pack a day but then we found Rez smokes and at 7-10 bucks for a carton we're both back to around a pack a day.
    Third time was when I spent a month at my sisters in WV and ran out of my Canadian smokes (I blame my brother in law cause he kept swiping mine!! :explode: ) and I just couldn't handle American smokes (sorry but they are harsh!) so I was smokeless for 2 weeks.

Right now I have no plans to quit, I know a lot of people are on this site to get "healthier" but meh I'm just here to track calories and get thinner (down almost 37 pounds in 12 weeks :smile: ).

I've already given up my chips and pop, I'd need bail money if someone also tried to take away my smokes :laugh:
  • Pyklez
    Options
    Yay we are all out of the closet so to speak...lol Shamilton1984, I would have told my 14yr old self...wtf r u doing...was so much easier 'not' to smoke then when I was stashing them from my parents..the ecig idea will most likely be my easy way out...my daughter just got her first job (can we say yes :) at a warehouse ecig store...they sell online as well at half the prices of the mall kiosks etc....so yes, I keep them in business...I switch back and forth right now...but I dont see a total quit in my future. One thing at a time, when I can sport a bikini, then the cigs will maybe totally go. So I have about hmmmmmmmmmmmm 60 lbs to think about the next issue I need to tackle.
  • Pyklez
    Options
    WalkingAway20....American Smokes are harsher because our beloved powers that be enacted a law about 3 years ago that made the tobacco industry here add a chemical that makes them fire safe (hence the FSC (fire safe cit) mark you will see on the scanner code on each pack. It makes the cig go out if you don't actively draw on it..so great in addition to all the other icky stuff in it, they added more to the mix. I started mail ordering smokes from Canada for a few months to get around it...then they enacted the 'PAC' act that added a federal import tax on all tobacco shipped through customs. Some how after about a year I got a call from the Canadian company that they could ship out again...but I figure if I keep spending 7 bucks a pack (when I started smoking it was in Europe and I was paying less than that for a CARTON)..its more motivation to cut it down a bit.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have smoked on and off for 10 years now. wow. that's the first time I've counted how log its been since I took that first puff, I was 16. I cant say I quit, although I've taken breaks, some as long as 11 months. 4 were for my pregnancies and a couple times I tried quitting. I'm recently coming out of a 7 month quitting attempt. I had lost 30+ lbs while smoking and when I attempted to quit I put 25 back on :( so now Im back smoking and gonna lose this weight. Im glad there are at least a few others like me on here :)
  • Pyklez
    Options
    Yes another 2 1bs down :) Cut down to about 4 cigs at work during 10 hrs v/s the pack I used to go through..progress is progress...I'll take it...lol
  • clairabellle
    clairabellle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I have been smoking for 4 years now and started when I was 40! Much to everyone's disdain around me, but hey.... Take a walk in my shoes within that 4 years and maybe they might, just might get why I started.
    I do want to stop and tried a month ago. Well it didn't go very well. I suppose I'm just not ready yet and would rather focus on my weight-loss first.
    If any one would like to add me feel free. :drinker:
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    WalkingAway20....American Smokes are harsher because our beloved powers that be enacted a law about 3 years ago that made the tobacco industry here add a chemical that makes them fire safe

i have heard a few others complain about the change in taste after they made that new rule but i never noticed the difference. i smoke marlboro reds, do you think it is a bigger/smaller difference depending on what brand/flavor you are used to?