Ice cream before lifting?

Options
Ok, so I need someone to tell me about this ice cream thing. What's it doing for you? When do you eat it? And how do you stop at a little? Thanks ladies! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I eat it as a refuel when I feel like I need to catch up on calories which sometimes happens on Wed, Thurs, or Fridays. I eat it on the way home from work and picking my son up from day care. There is a little store close to our house that has it so I get a cone. I know if I take a container home with me it will be consumed quickly so the limit to one cone (roughly 3 servings of ice cream) gives me what I want and doesn't leave any to tempt me later.

As far as what it is doing for me....It is a nice way to get the extra calories I need. So in that respect, it keeps me fueled to the point my body needs to recover. I haven't noticed any great difference with my lifts, but then again, if I didn't get the extra calories, I would probably need to reduce weight through the week.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was just curious, as I try to fit ice cream into my day from time to time, but didn't want to miss out on some miracle by not having it more often. Thank God for the little single serve Haagen-Dazs because I have no self control. :blushing:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I actually did buy a half gallon of the chocolate peanut butter cup on Friday.....I have about a quarter of it left. I would say my son has been eating it as well, but he hasn't made that big of a dent in it. :laugh:
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    I buy the individual containers by eddy's (I think that's the name)... I fit the whole serving in my macros so there are no leftovers... Eat up and enjoy!!!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Eat the ice creamzzzzz!!!!! Those carbs are like magic lifting carbs :laugh:

I'm like j though.....towards the end of the week, especially when it's been a gruelling week in the workout department, it does a darn lot to help with energy. I tend to go with a McD's cone....because I like it and it's 230 calories so it fits in super nice :bigsmile:
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh out a serving, and I don't let myself eat out of the container, because I know the second I start that, it will lead to "just one more spoonful..."

For my everyday dessert I get the Edy's Slow Churn because it's lighter than something like Ben & Jerry's and still has some protein in it, but I do usually have a pint of fully loaded legit ice cream around for days when I need the extra calories. I always eat it after dinner. I don't know that it has any impact on my lifting, since I lift in the morning after breakfast.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Had a dish of ice cream in the evening yesterday. Today, my lifting was great, felt easier and went more smoothly.

So, yeah, Ice cream is magic. :smile:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    in because I pre logged and then re do all my day yesterday just to be sure I can fit ice cream and chocolate :laugh:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but what does this have to do with lifting? Did I miss something?

As for how you stop at just a little... Get a scale, measure your portions, and exercise self-discipline--that usually does it for me :)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Ice cream -real, true ice cream - has a pretty decent balance of carbs, fats and proteins for fueling hard work. Because of the fat, the energy it gives you tends to stick around for a while (totally unscientific analysis by yours truly). I eat ice cream most pre-lifting nights, and as the weights have gotten really heavy, it helps me get that extra push in. And it makes me happy. :smile: The key, of course, is to keep inside your guidelines if you are eating to maintain or lose. . .
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Its not that its really MAGIC but its a) something most people REALLY enjoy and b) like Jstout said, its a great mixture of carbs and fat - and a tiny bit of protein - and since most dieters end up eating lowish carb, they will typically notice a HUGE boost from the carbs.

Chocolate milk also works (and gets you a bit more protein) but most people love ice cream.

and all of you who aren't lactose intolerant, shut up, I hate you forever.

(no, I love you, but still :mad: )
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I also love ice cream, although I mostly eat a really awesome frozen yogurt (aka froyo) that seriously tastes pretty much identical to ice cream, so why not? I like it because I often crave sweets, and I find it to be more satisfying than other sweet treats. I measure my portion and try to eat it slowly. I seem to be less hungry when I have it as my evening snack.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I am guilty (:bigsmile: ), too.

In fact, I had a mint chip shake a few hours before my lift this afternoon and ended up walking out with a squat PR! :laugh:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

In fact, I had a mint chip shake a few hours before my lift this afternoon and ended up walking out with a squat PR! :laugh:

Ooh, mint chip is one of my faves. Is this one you make or buy?
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options

That sounds so refreshing! And congrats on your PR!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Great after a 105 degree day out running! About all I can stomach is something cold with cals. Food sounds so blek. Lifted the last two days, heavy cardio today=ice cream and lots of it. Measure it, log it, and skip supper. Okay, probably not the best macro plan, but that's what I did! LOL Protein smoothies are nice, too. Just no energy to make one today.