Baby Food

Options
rabbit__food
rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
Anyone here make their own baby food? I was thinking of trying it when my son is old enough to eat solids, but I wanted to hear the opinions of others about it first.

Replies

• jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I do. I figure I have the time (not that it's time consuming), it's cheaper than buying the little jars of baby food, and I know exactly what my baby is getting (no preservatives, etc). I just steam and puree my veggies, freeze them into ice cube trays, and transfer them to baggies later on. I have used plain apple sauce from a jar (I had some sitting in my cupboard because I keep it on hand for myself), and I gave her some prunes from a jar today because I'm unsure of how to go about pureeing prunes, but otherwise all veggies and fruits have been homemade.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    http://fitnessista.com/2012/08/1-month-of-baby-food-1-hour-20/ awesome website if u do decide to make ur own baby food.. I didn't w my first child he ate all jarred store bought.. my 2nd refused to eat anyting out of the jar so i did everything from fresh fruits/veggies.. I plan to make my own baby food this 3rd time around. we will start next month.. I found this website for making my own and i can't wait to do it.
  • sunnydayz71
    sunnydayz71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the Baby Bullet, baby food making deluxe kit. I haven't used it yet. My son is 5 1/2 months and has only had rice cereal. It was a gift and I look forward to trying it soon.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love it- super easy and better for the child. I don't have any fancy appliances- just use pans and a blender! But way worth it, and like Jodi, I freeze em and put them in bags. I have a book of "recipes" too which I really love: "Top 100 Baby Purees" by Annabel Karmel. But honestly, there are so many recipes/tips online. Good luck!
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great thanks everyone! I should have the time to do it (I'm a SAHM for now to my only son), so I definitely am going to give it a try after reading your comments. I like that it's cheaper, and I will know exactly what he is eating.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I did that with my first. I worked full time and it wasn't as time consuming as I thought. I just had a regular blender and I would freeze them in ice cube trays and then warm up when needed. That was 6 years ago. I now have a 6 month old and instead of making my own baby food, we are going to do baby led weaning.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I got the cuisinart baby food processor, and LOVE it! It is a steamer and processor all in one. You just chop up the food, put it in the thing, add water to another part to steam...then when it's done steaming mix it up! I know this was greatly descriptive, I would highly recommend it if you don't own a food processor, it makes it so easy.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I looked into it but I found it to be way more expensive when I looked at the recipes there was more added than just the veggie or fruit themselves. I gave my son store bought food and will probably do the same with this one. I have used canned fruit recently for my daughter just as a supplement and because I had it on hand.
  • Crys483
    Crys483 Posts: 18
    Options
    It's super easy! I just gave my son fruits and veggies that were already in the house pureed. A good one to start out with is sweet potatoes, avocados, or bananas for a first food to try! Easy to puree, just add a little water to make it thinner. After a few weeks I started adding in whatever we ate for meals. I bought a cheap little food mill from Walmart and just grinded up the food for him. Once I started giving finger foods (around 7 months) he refused anything pureed from then on. So now, at 9 months old, he eats everything we eat now in very tiny cut up pieces. He has quite the appetite, eating 3 meals and 2 snacks, plus he still nurses 6-8 times a day :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I also make my own baby fodd. It is not a big deal really. I looked into the baby bullet, but that is exactly the same as The regular magic bullet with an added 6 small feeding containers. I passed on because I already owned the regular magic bullet and I have cheaper containers. But any kind of blender do the job. When my son was a baby I only had a cheapo $10 hand blender from Walmart, and it was plenty enough even he was eating puréed until he was 17 months old. He was too lazy to chew, lol :) ( most babies only eat puréed fod for a few months though. )

A good size containers called baby cubes. It is a few bucks for 8 containers with tray , and many stores sells them. I do not bother with recipes or whatnot When I cook dinner I purée a veggi or two pour into my containers and it is done. When i cook hard boiled eggs I cook a couple of extras and toss into the veggies. I still cook separate meat for the baby, because I buy her organic free range grass fed certified stuff that cost a fortune , but that just me. I only cook meat once a week for her. I just cook the meat or chicken whatever in water purée with the blender, portion into babycubes and put ino the freezer. I take 1 out each day and just mix it with her veggie with a spoon.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We just mushed what we ate.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I throw veggies/fruit into my food processor, and freeze it in cubes. I didn't want to buy another appliance just to make baby food.

A lot of the time I just give Max pieces of whatever we're having, with a defrosted "food cube" on the side.

I like this website for ideas: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have been making our baby food for the past month or so using the Baby Bullet, my regular steamer basket, and mostly vegetables and fruits that we already have around. I really like it...I spend about half an hour on Sundays making food for the whole week, and I'm done! I've used this website a lot.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/
  • blueeyes25s
    blueeyes25s Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I plan to make my own. So much healthier and I will know exactly what my baby is eating.