Working getting the nerve on joining

Options
Angie52732
Angie52732 Posts: 66 Member
Hello all! I am working up the nerve to join my local Crossfit. I had done a bootcamp for the last 18 months or so and left it mid April. Haven't really done anything since and don't want to backslide into all my old habits. I had dropped about 60ish pounds with the bootcamp and many inches. I still have another 60ish to go. I am almost 49 and weigh 235. Any words of advice on what to expect? I read thru some of your posts and it is like a whole other language - LOL. I don't have any limitations that I am aware of....just suck at body weight stuff and running :). I don't really have any experience with barbells. I can squat and lunge but think I need to improve my form - seems like we were always rushing those for the bootcamp. We did lots of body weight moves, burpess, mountain climbers, pushups, wall sits, ropes, step ups, lunges etc in the bootcamp. Is this going to be somewhat similar? Looking forward to your advice and tips.
Angie

Replies

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. Everything can be scaled to your ability. It would be rare to watch a WOD at my gym and not see someone modifying something. As far as the crossfit language, google crossfit words and you will get a list and definitions, also something you will learn w/ time.
  • GttnITtgthr
    Options
    Absolutely get in contact with them! Mine offered a free into class which was pretty much a fitness assessment. Then I signed up for 5 one on one sessions where the trainer goes over EVERYTHING. My last one on one is tomorrow and then I get to begin the actual classes. If your gym (box) offers these sessions I would definitely take advantage of them.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You can so do this! I am 40 and started crossfit at 231 pounds. Everything can be scaled. My box offered a 6 week fundamentals class - which I took twice. Definitely look for a free trial class. If you have a couple of nearby options try them all to see if one is a better fit than others (my box is definitely skewed older than some others in the area)

Good luck!
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One, go for it! The people who've posted in this thread are absolutely right about scaling the workouts to what YOU can do. In fact, you can go to the Crossfit website, click on the Beginners link, and find scaled versions of every single Crossfit workout. I can't run (hip injury) and substitute rowing for those parts of the workouts. The Crossfit Brand X forum (linked from the Crossfit page Beginners section) has appropriate substitutions for a long list of Crossfit moves that can cause problems for folks, either because they can't do them yet or because they're working around an injury.

I'm 51, about 30 lbs overweight, coming back from a long list of injuries, still getting out there and doing it because it works. I'm so much stronger, so much healthier than I was before. Between the Crossfit and improved eating habits, I've gone from being pre-diabetic to having rock-solid bloodwork numbers. I look better, move better, feel better, have a MUCH better attitude because I know I can pull off something HARD every day.

One thing you mentioned about your bootcamp is that you had problems with form. Good form is ABSOLUTELY critical to doing this and remaining whole and healthy. Visit a few gyms and watch the people working out there... do they have good form? Are the trainers stopping people who DON'T have good form and working with them? That's absolutely critical in my mind, and if you're seeing a lot of people in a Crossfit gym with sloppy form, look for another gym.

The Crossfit website has an extensive collection of videos of what these exercises are supposed to look like. You can learn a lot from them.

I also do a half hour of yoga before my Crossfit workout. At my age it's really helped with flexibility and balance, again both good for injury prevention. A lot of Crossfitters don't pay adequate attention to stretching, to my mind. This little extra discipline really seems to help.
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    I started right after my birthday in March. I just turned 42. I have done alot of different things over the last several years and have dropped over 100 lbs. Crossfit is far and above better than all the rest.

I have done several different gyms, done at home workouts, etc... It always gets old and boring and stale. Not the case with Crossfit. I took last week off for vacation and I was crazy missing my workouts while on vacation. This is a 1st! I am back this week and have hit the gym both days... Yesterday was rough...really really rough. I didn't think I was gonna finish, but I did and it was AMAZING! I felt so accomplished afterwards and I can't wait to get back tonight!

This is the best thing you can do for yourself! Do it!

I too would say to check out several locations if you can. Just like anything else in life... YMMV (Your mileage may vary)
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and on my 7th week of CrossFit. Over 200 lbs. and in no physical shape whatsoever. I can say that it isn't an easy workout...BUT it is effective. I can workout for 3 days a week most of the time in less than 40-45 minutes and get great results. My trainer said that Bootcamp is actually harder than CrossFit. People may have other opinions on that, but you definitely will NOT get bored at a CF gym.