Found a pattern!!

Options
shimmergal
shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
Since the past 3 months, I have been just jotting down the time and place where I am messing up (binging). During this time, I was not judging myself or anything, but just writing down when, where and what I binged on. I logged all the foods I consumed. It was really sad to see the high calorie count, but, like I said, I did not want to judge myself as I wanted to find out the root cause for this behavior.

Yes, I see a pattern!!

-) It is exactly 2 weeks before my period, I see a spike and urge to binge.
-) I alternate between salty and sweet things.
-) I consume very little water during these periods
-) I binge mostly when I am alone at home ( I don't want my hubby to see me binge)
-) I exercise less
-) I don't mingle with friends (don't socialize)
-) I dress sloppy and don't care much about the way I look
-) very moody and cranky

Looks like I figured out the major part of the equation! Now, I just need to figure out how to address the above issues. One other observation I made is the 3rd day after my period, I feel awesome and I want to eat right, workout, happy mood, kind of be my normal self (positive).

Please reply if you have a similar pattern and how you deal with it.
Thanks

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    WOW this just described my day today. I decided from the start that it was a yoga pants kind of day, I had a 3 hour class and spent the rest of the day studying. While studying I decided to eat. I wasn't even hungry and I tried to fight it for a while but I just ate. Half a bag of trail mix, an avocado sandwich on a bagel, and a chocolate bar. I told my husband I ate too much today and wasn't hungry for dinner, and then I ended up eating some anyway - it wasn't even good. :grumble:

I made it 5 days.

I'm re-starting now. Wish me luck.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I also am moody and cranky and have very little water during mine!!
  • Creamshakes
    Creamshakes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    DITTO.

I also don't drink water and fiend like a maniac for some kind of fruit juice. Ocean Spray is my weakness.
    I also dress like absolute crap. My hair is only half cared for, either.
    I don't want to talk to anyone and become annoyed easily.
    I chain smoke.
    It's always a few days before I start a-bleedin'.
    Or, it may happen because I have one of my tell-tale 'Fat-piphanies' where I notice how hideous (I think) I look and have a silent melt down.
  • MsGrayCat5
    MsGrayCat5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I'm not alone! I have to say, I wondered if this was the group for me and then I read this. I know there's not much activity in it right now, but let's see if we can change that. ;)

I so feel what you wrote. I am not certain about the timing, but that may sound just about right. Thank you for posting and I am going to keep my eye out for the signs. BTW, I leave foods out of the house therefore when I do give into the binge, it's things like Laughing Cow and Wasa. I've eaten half a box of those and about 6 wedges. I don't have kids therefore don't have to leave tons of food in the cupboard.

Since the past 3 months, I have been just jotting down the time and place where I am messing up (binging). During this time, I was not judging myself or anything, but just writing down when, where and what I binged on. I logged all the foods I consumed. It was really sad to see the high calorie count, but, like I said, I did not want to judge myself as I wanted to find out the root cause for this behavior.

Yes, I see a pattern!!

-) It is exactly 2 weeks before my period, I see a spike and urge to binge.
    -) I alternate between salty and sweet things.
    -) I consume very little water during these periods
    -) I binge mostly when I am alone at home ( I don't want my hubby to see me binge)
    -) I exercise less
    -) I don't mingle with friends (don't socialize)
    -) I dress sloppy and don't care much about the way I look
    -) very moody and cranky

Looks like I figured out the major part of the equation! Now, I just need to figure out how to address the above issues. One other observation I made is the 3rd day after my period, I feel awesome and I want to eat right, workout, happy mood, kind of be my normal self (positive).

Please reply if you have a similar pattern and how you deal with it.
    Thanks
  • Thin1979
    Thin1979 Posts: 48
    Options
    Oh my gosh! This is crazy, it is like you are describing me. I notice I binge during ovulation and then a week before my period. Then on my 3rd day of my period I want to start eating clean again. So, now that we have shared does anyone have a solution. I is hard to lose weight when 2 weeks out of the month are spent on frites and snickers.
  • MsGrayCat5
    MsGrayCat5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think key is being aware. I would even say mark the calendar, or highlight that week so you know to be especially aware of your/our eating habits during that time.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am going to start tracking my binges as well- thanks for the tip
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I agree and can see myself in what you wrote! I do way more damage a week before my cycle. I'm not only a hot emotional mess, but I am eating everything I can... but ONLY at night.

I work midnights... so my sleeping patterns aren't your normal sleeping patterns... its the nights off from work that I struggle the most. I don't go to sleep like everyone else that works normal hours, because I just can't... I'm used to the nightshift since I've been working it for over 24 years now. Hard to sleep at 10pm when that is when I'm running my butt off at the hospital.

I have narrowed it down to when the cycle comes... but not sure what the excuse is for the other days. I binge but not as bad as when my period is coming... so now just to figure out how to control this. :/
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Some of your patterns are very similar to mine!

For me:
    - I always always binge while watching something.. either in front of TV or in front of laptop watching tv shows or youtube. I never binge just sitting there or reading or something. Only in front of a monitor. (possible solution - minimize screen time at home and maybe make a rule like only chew gum while in front of a screen)

- I also alternate between salty and sweet things. I think it's to refresh my palate (possible solution - if I'm snacking on something I should try to just stick to one type of food)

- I usually binge in loose clothing or under my blanket on the bed so I don't have to "face" how large I am. I also don't care about my hair, appearance, and I don't even feel like a shower!! (possible solution - always wear tight fitting clothing to make myself more aware)

- I tend to shut down and try to get out of all social gatherings. Even with my family, they want to go out to eat, and I just feel like a giant monster walking out the street so I come up with all sorts of excuses to stay home (which then I binge even more..) (possible solution - force myself to get out of the house more often, just to put on tight clothes and occupy myself with something else)

- I also get cranky and moody and get pissed off at people around me. Now with some great books with authors like Geneen Roth and Josie Spinardi, I am more aware that it's a byproduct of my binge that I shouldn't be getting mad at people and things around me. I should be checking in with myself and my feelings deep down and that helps me get more calm.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    That's interesting jen....
    After thinking about it long and hard I really don't sit at a computer monitor, or the T.V when binging. I could see how easy it would be to do that too. I would do it in my room while reading a book, and I'd like to say that I'm preoccupied with the book to notice what I'm putting in my mouth, but that is a lie. Anything to make the negative feelings go away. The more I eat... the more I don't hear that voice that I'm fat, or ugly, or unworthy of anyone elses love.
    My biggest foods that I seem to binge on are the starchy carbs. I'm not really a cookie/cupcake/chips kind of person... surprisingly enough....I seem to eat a ton of rice/pasta/baked potatoes/bread when I'm having a weak/binging moment.

I watched Josie Spinardi and I really learned a lot. Whoever shared that on here, I thank you very much.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Then you would love her book! I was hesitant at first since there are sooo many books that deal with emotional eating and they all seem the same. I got the free sample on the kindle and really liked her writing since I could tell that she GETS IT. So I bought the whole book on kindle (I actually haven't finished reading it :P)