5 o'clock shadow

Options
I have dark hair growth on my chin and shave daily. The problem is a couple hours later I have 5oclock shadow. I work in an er and patients ofter ask if I have fallen or if someone has hit me. Does anyone know a good make-up that covers well. I have skin with yellow undertones. My brother-in-law is getting married this month and I don't want to avoid all the cameras because I don't want a record of the dark shadow on my chin.

Replies

• shamilton1984
    Options
    I personally like Dream Matte Mousse. It covers well and isn't oily or cakey. I used it for my wedding :) I also recommend bleaching facial hair. I like Sally Hansen Cream Bleach. Or my personal favorite because it lasts longer, I wax my chin with Sally Hansen Facial Wax Strips :) I should be a spokes person lol. But they make a great, AFFORDABLE, home product. I don't know about you, but with the amount of facial hair I have I can't afford to go to a professional all the time lol. Hope this helps :)
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Lol I feel like hair removal expert. Waxing is good--I like the Sally Hansen lavender wax, the kind that you heat up and apply the wax first and then put the strip on. I find that strip wax doesn't work as well on coarse hair (I don't know how coarse your hair is..)

Seriously though, consider electrolysis. It WORKS. I had really bad facial hair, and now I don't have any! It's a huge difference. (laser never worked for me on hormonal hair. Only electrolysis.) But go to someone who really knows what they're doing.
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Stop shaving!! Find a hair removal cream or a wax. Shaving is the worst thing for facial hair. Especially for women! The creams and waxes will last much much longer than shaving. Good luck.
  • happierandstronger
    Options
    As a previous poster mentioned you need to stop shaving the hairs. When we shave, the hairs tend to grow back thicker every time - which is most probably the cause of the 5 o'clock shadow.

If you can afford it and don't mind a needle been put into your pores maybe try electrolysis as it will kill the root of the hair and it will reduce the hair growth. I did this once a week for a while and bought a numbing cream from the chemist so I didn't feel it but i don't recommend using the cream super long term as it can be costly (I think I use to pay $70 AUD for a tube). I found electrolysis to be effective for hair reduction (especially in fair/blonde hairs) and once I stopped (mainly because I'm a big baby and hate needles) I switched to waxing, first at the salon and now I buy the facial home kits as it is much cheaper.

If electrolysis isn't an option for you definitely go straight for waxing as the results will last longer and the hairs won't grow back thick - they just eventually thin out to the point that in some places they may just not grow back at all.

Another option also available (and again this is if you are able afford it) is hair reduction via laser treatment. From my understanding of the consultations I went to, if the hairs are dark the treatment will be more successful than if you are like me and have quite fair/blonde hair.

Good luck and I hope this helps you :)
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It is false that the hair grows back thicker when you shave. If it were true, don't you think more guys going bald would shave their heads more. I have been shaving for years and mine hasn't gotten thicker. Try talking to your doctor about going on spirnolactone. It takes awhile but it does slow the hair growth.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Amazing concealer
  • CLARESE1
    CLARESE1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try Dermablend it provides the strongest fullest coverage I know. It is recommended even for the coverage of concealing tattoos, so you know it is strong.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    As others have said, STOP SHAVING! Shaving doesn't cause it to grow back thicker, HOWEVER, plucking or waxing DOES cause it to grow back thinner.

I highly recommend waxing if you cannot afford permanent hair removal.

I waxed my upper lip for years, and gradually I had to wax it less and less, and now, almost never. I have gone over a year now and just occasionally need to pluck one or two light hairs.

My chin is more stubborn (and harder to wax because of the angles) but I find that waxing will hold it off for a week or so, and then I pluck the other few random hairs that come in. I never have to pluck more than once a day now, and if I do it every day it's just a hair or two. It used to be SO much worse. And I am not on any sort of medication for this.