anyone experiencing trouble with weigh loss?

Options
hi!! i am a type 1 diabetic and have had trouble my whole life losing weight. i have heard that ID diabetics do have trouble with weight loss. i read in a diabetic journal about the theory of your body chosing a "set weight" and i was curious if any of the IDD on here have this same problem as I do!!

missy

Replies

• SeraFee
    SeraFee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm losing. Very, very slowly. And I have to really watch what I eat and workout daily. But I'm down 12 lbs. I've plateaued somewhat but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully it will start coming off again.
    Sera T1 12 years
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 pounds in a year. No surgery, no special diets. I use a pump which makes things so much easier but I personally didn't have trouble losing. I'm having issues with the last 10 pounds but I find that a struggle with everyone, regardless of diabetes.
  • melissam226
    Options
    YES. I lost about 60 lbs when I was just on Metformin but since then I've had to get on insulin which made me GAIN 10 lbs even though I was eating well and working out. I'm a T1.5/LADA.

I'm on Glipizide and Metformin since last week so hopefully that will be better (Glipizide can cause fat storing because it produces more insulin though).

My doctor keeps telling me that it's something Type I or 1.5 diabetics just have to deal with--it'll always be much harder to lose weight. It's not IMPOSSIBLE, just harder.

Have you tried the keto diet and completely cutting carbs out? I did it for a week and found my blood sugar levels better and my sleep way better. I'm going to slowly work my way to going almost completely carb free to lose more fat.

Good luck!
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am also frustrated with the slowness of weight-loss. I exercise all virtually everyday but nothing. I usually weight on Mondays. After a very active weekend I expect some little drop, I'm surprised to see my weight has gone up!

My wife barely exercises and drops the weight. Her sister, who is a Type 1 D like me, also has a terrible time dropping weight.

There's probably a physiological explanation. Anybody have suggestions?

-Bob
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have been T1 for 28 years and my endo Dr. told me it is very difficult to lose weight with diabetes......
  • ppatick
    ppatick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have lost ~34 lbs in the last year by going Vegan. I initially did it for 3 months . My endo had given me orders for outside blood tests, so I held off on them until my 3 month experiment was up, I thought that would give me a good snapshot of what effect it would have. I was very diligent about recording every meal and snack in this program, and my blood sugar 5-6 times a day. It was a resounding success for me, my A1C was 6.7 (I started at 14 when I was first diagnosed 15 years ago as an adult!), blood pressure, cholesterol, all down. Iron was fine, a little on the low side but no supplement needed. My endocrinologist was very pleased and amazed at the effect of cutting all dairy and animal products had on me. I was previously a poultry and fish eater only, no red meat since 1974, in college.
    I seem to be on a plateau now, I haven't lost any additional weight in the past 4 months. Probably because I have not been strict with recording my meals, thereby eating more than I should. My resolution is to get back that self-discipline and shed these last 25 lbs.
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find it a very painfully slow process, and I find it far easier than it should be to gain back any weight lost.

I don't know if I can attribute my issues with weight loss to diabetes or not though, as I also take a med for a heart condition which has drastically reduced my metabolism, and I am beginning to develop hypothyroidism but my endo is holding off on putting me on meds for now.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been T1 for 16 years and I have been trying to put on weight ever since then.
  • Prinleo
    Prinleo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I severely restrict calories in the week, not sure if its the insulin but I don't get the low blood sugar feeling and therefore hunger, I have a temp basal during aerobic excersise and that does the trick rather than eating to compensate. T1 30 yrs on accucheck combo. 18lbs to go to my goal
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin dependent (since 1990) and have lost about 45 pounds since last August. I've also reduced my daily fast-acting insulin intake by nearly 90% and my long lasting by 50%. I first did it by changing the way I eat. I began eating Paleo by cutting out the high carb foods that plagued my blood sugars for years: wheat, rice, & pasta. As I found out more about the Paleo food plan, I stopped eating other non-Paleo-friendly foods such as legumes & processed foods. From August to January of this year, I lost a total of 25 pounds just by changing my eating habits. Then in February, I joined MFP for a specific reason: to get in shape because I needed surgery. So I wanted to prepare for the surgery by watching calories and exercising. Since February, I've lost another 20 pounds.

I seemed to have hit my plateau but it's my goal weight so I'm fine with it.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    YES, I am most definitely struggling with the weight loss. It's coming, but it sure is slow!