Choking with the lead

Options
Leeann1979
Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
Hey tennis friends. I was in a tournament today, its our first official tournament of the season. It was doubles/mixed doubles. It was a successful day, I made the finals of both events. We played the ladies final today and the mixed is tomorrow.

I have a history of blowing leads. I am a fairly strong player and believe I can beat a lot of players. However, I tend to let leads slip away. Today I was serving for the 2nd set, we lost the 1st 7-6, and it was like I forgot how to serve. The game went on forever and we had a few set points, but I chose to do a horrible serve or dumb error on those points. We were up 5-3, 40-15 in the 2nd and ended losing it 7-5.

So my question is, why is it so much harder to win the most important points? I was pleased with our play, but also disappointed that we gave up the lead. Its very frustrating!! I have mental issues in tennis, where I think waaaaaay too much. Its improved, but not completely there yet. Any advice?

Replies

• Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    Who said tennis is easy? It's never easy to close a match.

My advice is to develop a 2nd serve that is a REALLY high percentage shot - that you are confident in - and then when you are really nervous, use that for both first and second serves.

For me, that serve is a topspin. I toss the ball a little behind my head and brush over the ball. It has high clearance of the net and kicks a little and the topspin keeps it in a lot. If I follow through on this serve it goes in a LOT.

Some say that we are only as good as our 2nd serve - I agree with that! Good luck today!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh god! $64,000 question. Thanks, Leeann. No, really. Thanks a lot.
    We all go thru this, especially in tournaments. Bottom line is: I think you just have to go through it a number of times, until you learn to get over the nerves.
    But, that said, i like Annie's suggestion. A nice clean serve that can give you some confidence can go a long way.
    I find that when I start getting tight, it helps me to stop and take some deep breaths -- a set number. Usually five for me. Slow, don't rush them. Inhale deeply, exhale. It gets rid of the physical tension and it breaks your destructive train of thought.
    People tend to rush when they get nervous or anxious.
    Then, I tell myself to just focus on watching the ball and watching it all the way to my racquet. I trust that my strokes are alright and that I will stroke the ball properly if I am focused on watching the ball -- really seeing. And, it distracts me from thinking the destructive thoughts.
    And, at the risk of getting too 'zen' here, might I suggest some mental visualization?
    There is a famous story of a POW in Vietnam. This guy was imprisoned for like six or seven years. He loved to golf. But, of course, he could not. So, every day, he would play 18 holes in his mind. He would really focus on the game, on his form particularly. He would hit the ball just right. He would not let those fears of shanking the shot intrude, and if they did, he would practice that shot over and over later.
    Anyway, it was his solace and his escape of his plight.
    Interestingly, when he got out, his game had improved, greatly, without even practicing the physical part of the game.
    I think you can do the same thing with tennis. Practice imagining a tense point, or a tense game, and picture yourself hitting the right shots and hitting them well. It retrains your subconscious (which is what undermines you) and helps to banish doubts.
    Personally, I think making it to the finals is pretty good. Congrats. Again.

P.S. I just found a link to the POW story. It is on a mental toughness group website.
    http://www.mentalgamecoaching.com/IMGCAArticles/MentalToughness/MentalToughness.html
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    5-3?
    Very similar to the infamous 5-2 voodoo.

There are so many times a player (or team) loses with a 5-2 lead or digs themselves out from 2-5 hole.

A lot of it is mental more than physical. Too often do players feel that they have "already won" but the set isn't over yet. We tend to think that we have it in the bag and our mind thinks about the next set; or something else on the horizon.

Remember the wisdom of master Yoda:
    "This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away… to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing."
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. For doubles, I only do my flat hard serve once a set when the opponents encroach too much on the service box. 99% of the time I stick with a very spin serve or as you do an over the head topspin kick serve. I change these up to keepem guessing. Works well for me also.
    -Mark
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    On the "mental" part of the game, it helps me to think I'm the underdog even when I'm winning. I find a reason to get upset with an opposing player in my mind only of course and I channel that anger into intensity and determination, saying over and over in my head, "give me the ball, I want the ball, I want to put away that ball, give me the ball...." I know it sounds kinda crazy but it really works for me.

I guess in Star Wars analogical terms, I'd definitely be a Sith than a Jedi when on the court. "Feel your hate seeth Luke..." said the Evil Emperor.... (and smash that tennis ball good!) :)
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    5-3?
    Very similar to the infamous 5-2 voodoo.

There are so many times a player (or team) loses with a 5-2 lead or digs themselves out from 2-5 hole.

Oh my goodness, I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have blown 5-2 leads. My boyfriend and I always joke that when I'm up 5-2, he's got me right where he wants me, lol.

This past weekend, I was in the singles final, and I was up 5-4, 40-15, serving for the first set, and I blew it. I don't handle pressure and nerves well at all!! I got broken, then I broke her and went up 6-5, served for it, and lost, again.

Its like my arm turns to jello and I cant do anything. SO frustrating!! Thanks for the replies!!
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Some players have a game that ebbs and flow throughout the match. Some think that one point is more important than others. For example, some think that love all is just the beginning of the game and the point is not as critical as playing ad-in or add-out.

However, when playing competitively, treat each point as a point that you must and will win. A lot of the mentality is related to the fire inside us; our intensity.

There is a guy in one of the leagues that I play. His historical record shows that he used to be a decent 3.0 player winning about 50% of his matches. However, this past winter he was playing 3.5 and won all of his matches. Apparently the rumor is that he had a brush with death. It changed his perspective and gave him an intensity to win. I played one his regular opponents/friends. He explained that the guy didn't have any other coaching. After his accident, the guy got a new lease of life and started doing everything better. Eating better, lost weight, played more intense, etc.

I'm not saying we need to have a life-changing brush with death experience to become better players. From what I have taken away from his story is that its about intensity and drive. Also, for me, I have yo-yo-ed since a few summers ago. I went from 290 to 240 and starting winning nearly all of my matches. This year I went back up to 270 and losing more frequently. I'm back on MFP to lose weight and win more (both off and on the court.)
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have had brushes with death and I didn't improve my game like that guy! Lol I was frustrated with my record this USTA season, but it is my first season playing singles in many years. But last week I played a 3 hour match and won a third set tie break 12-10. At one spot I started to mutter to myself, do you just not want to win? I realized I was getting scared of going for my shots when it was game point, in the first set I lost my serve after 12 deuces -11 times I had ad in, after losing the first set and being down 2-4. I decided if I was going to lose I would lose big, like Billie Jean King says. I won that set 6-4. The great thing about the tie break is that thanks to leaving 90 pounds behind, it was my 20+years younger opponent who finally showed signs she was just too tired. I have joked that I really need a tennis shrink to answer the choking and other mental issues. But to be totally honest I would rather just hit and get a great workout than play a match.