dx with Celiac's on Friday

Options
victoriannsays
victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
So happy to have found this group. I have been having some GI issues lately and turns out that I have Celiac's Disease. I live in a very small town where Gluten free products are few and far between and very $$$. My health is my priority to I am willing to spend more money on some foods and eliminate my favorite wheat containing foods!

I am worried about the transition for my family as well. They are not willing to go Gluten Free with me and I am wondering how other families have coped with this.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

I've been diagnosed over 20 years now so pretty much used to the life style. Have a look at Amazon as there are plenty g/f cook books on there that can help. Not sure where you are based but if you give us heads up someone will be able to help with products available.

Feeding a family can be fun - mine are not g/f but some do have allergies. Most meals I cook tend to be ones that everyone can eat and then once in a whilew e will have take away (well they will) and they can have what they like. We tend to use normal bread for the kids etc but when doing pasta it g'f unless its spaghetti out a tin for their lunch.

i have my own products so there is no cross contamination - I also have other allergies including sunflower so a bit of marg in my peanut butter means i cant have it. When i cook sausages I'll put the g/f ones in a separate ban and our forman is only used for g'f food.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Just stick to simple clean foods! Veggies and fresh meat and all that... It would be cheaper too. As for the family... I still have that to figure out! I'm just a daughter, so I'm not cooking for others anyways... But i'm having a tough time getting my mom to buy foods I want.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    The family thing is difficult. My family will eat gluten when we go out but it's just too hard to prevent contamination with it in the kitchen. You need two toasters, two colanders, designated counter space, and so on. Not to mention things like peanut butter, butter, jelly, mayo...too much risk someone will spread it on their gluten bread and put the knife back in the container. So basically my husband eats whatever he wants when we go out and he can have snacks or microwave meals in the house as long as he cleans up any crumbs.

For dinners we eat a lot of naturally gluten free things. Roasted or baked chicken, pot roast, pork chops, and fish as main dishes. Potatoes, rice, quinoa, beans, and veggies as sides. Things like tacos, shepherd's pie, Indian butter chicken, and stir-fry are nice "normal" dinners that work. If we have sandwiches my husband has learned to like Udi's bread. He can't tell too much difference with gluten free pastas either. Tacos are on corn tortillas. It's easy once you get the hang of it! :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We are gluten free at home but they can eat whatever they want when they're out. It's just too hard to keep the kitchen contamination free when there are gluten filled products being used. Since it's my kitchen, I win! :)

My family doesn't really mind because I still cook things we like but have adapted them to be GF. If they are that picky then they are welcome to go buy their own products and make them where they won't contaminate me or our two daughters that are GF. I know it sounds sort of harsh but this is our health we're talking about and not a fad diet. Fortunately for me, my family is not so selfish that they would risk my health for their own desires.
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Our kitchen is 99% gluten free. We have a 4 slice toaster, one side is labeled gluten free, we have a dedicated gluten free toaster oven, and for pasta the once in a blue moom my husband wants regular gluten pasta, we have a small pot/ strainer dedicated to his gluten stuff. And a few snacks that are gluten (for my non-gluten free kids to take to school for snack), or for my husband to take on the road with him for work. Otherwise all meals and snacks are gluten free, and meet the rest of the allergy needs that we have in our homes. I refuse to cook more then one meal or snack if I have too.

Look into Amazon, Azure Standard (www.azurestandard.com) which is a natural, bulk ordering food company. also look into Trader Joe's too.
  • poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My family hasn't gone totally GF with me but we adapted our favourite week-day dishes so we don't have to cook two separate meals. I would suggest investing in a bread machine and checking out the blog glutenfreegoddess....good tips here.
    Sometimes I get super frustrated being a celiac, mostly because of all the planning and prepping that has to happen. Eating "on the fly" is nearly impossible outside of downtown Vancouver and when I travel....I live on fruit, raw veggies and Lara bars.
    Making healthy choices and staying away from processed foods is the way to go...good luck!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Shorrtly after I found I had CD most of our kids started following suit.. so everyone is gluten free except my husband.. We tried to keep the gluten contaning foods seperate to keep everyone safe but it proved impossible to keep gluten from sneeking in with cross contaminaton..so now our home is 100% gluten free-. My hubs eats gluten when we got out to eat but not at home.
  • Glutenfree29
    Options
    I dont stress to much over cross contamination. Just wash your utensils and counter space. I eat fluter free my husband does not. AS roar as cost keep it simple. Eat fruit, veggies and meat. You can bake your own bread but I switched to corn tortillas and using lettuce wraps which are good and low cal. I even use lettuce wraps for spaghetti sauce but not in public :)
    Martha
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    don't know if I have celiacs or not but I for sure have a major sensitivity! I will bloat super bad, get puffy eyes, itchy legs and other parts of my body o.O but now that I have stopped the wheat and most other grains I have realized other sensitivities to food like sugar and artificial sweeteners. right now I am eating mostly veggies with a little meat and fruit. don't get sucked into buying a bunch of processed stuff try to just eat natural foods because the processing of the wheat is a big part of why so many people are having a problem with it.