Forefoot runners ....

Options
fabiomuralha
fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
Hey ! That's a simple question for u guys ..
What kind of shoes do you use? I'm not a light runner ( 6'0 196lbs). I'm a huge ASICS fan but don't bother to change that.. Currently I'm changing between a KAYANO and a TRAINER ... after the next half-marathon (in 2 weeks) I pretend to buy a new shoe.. So , I'm needing some ideas from who already uses that kind of shoes...

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to go to a running store and let them fit you for the proper shoes for your feet and stride. I did this and although I loved the shoes I was running in (Saucony) they fit me for any entirely different type and brand (Mizuno). I am now on my second pair and have added a third (Asics) after another fitting to get the right shoes. Not only do I find running more enjoyable with the right shoes I have also gained speed and am experiencing fewer mild injuries. Can't imagine that I will ever pick my own shoes again without a proper fitting. Take care, stay healthy, run strong!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I tend to strike mid-to-fore foot when I run and run mostly in Kinvaras. I use Cortana for my longer (15 mile+) runs on the weekend.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am also a forefoot striker. I run mostly in NB860. But I agree with Dougii, I would suggest that you get Fitted at a proper running store.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting fitted. I'm a Brooks PureConnect2 guy. Also have PureFlow2s that I don't like quite as much.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    dup
  • sammyneb
    Options
    I may not be a guy, but I actually have men's running shoes :) I find they fit me better and have more room in the toe box. I'm a mid-foot/ fore foot striker (mainly forefoot) I have the Saucony Kinvera 2's and I love them and am so afraid to try the new Kinvera's :(
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have the Saucony Kinvera 2's and I love them and am so afraid to try the new Kinvera's :(
    The Kinvara 3s have something different going on around the ankle that I can't quite put my finger on; it is uncomfortable just different. There is supposed to be a Saucony rep at a run I'm doing Monday night, I'm going to try and test out the Kinvara 4s. I am cheap so I run on last year's model; I would keep using the 2's but there are none left to be found in my size
  • sammyneb
    Options
    I hear ya, I like to run in the past years models! I searched on line and found my last pair, but it wasn't easy. I'm guessing I may be out of luck the next time I try to find some :( I hate how they feel the need to change the shoes every year
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I TRY to be a forefoot runner, and I wear Saucony Kinvara 3's and my newest ones are Saucony Virrata's, which I got because they have a 0mm drop (as opposed to the Kinvara's 4mm). I really like the Virrata's but unfortunately, they look much more worn after 142 miles than my Kinvara's do after 380 miles. My Kinvaras are still going strong - I should be able to get close to 500 miles out of them, I think. So, I am thinking I should snap up at least one more pair of Kinvara 3's now that the 4's are out!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I TRY to be a forefoot runner, and I wear Saucony Kinvara 3's and my newest ones are Saucony Virrata's, which I got because they have a 0mm drop (as opposed to the Kinvara's 4mm). I really like the Virrata's but unfortunately, they look much more worn after 142 miles than my Kinvara's do after 380 miles. My Kinvaras are still going strong - I should be able to get close to 500 miles out of them, I think. So, I am thinking I should snap up at least one more pair of Kinvara 3's now that the 4's are out!

Imho, you shouldn't "TRY" to be a forefoot runner. You should try to let your foot land close to your center of gravity (underneath your body). There is nothing special about forefoot running and, in fact, you can injure yourself trying to affect that change. Just let the foot coming forward land a little shorter, not reaching out past your knee. I have also been using the Virrata in my rotation, and I am a big fan of those shoes.

Good luck!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm in a pair of Newton Gravity right now, and the lugs really make a difference to my footstrike. That being said, I love love love my last pair of New Balance. I have the minimus zero road shoes, and they are super awesome! Like hugs for my feet!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Imho, you shouldn't "TRY" to be a forefoot runner. You should try to let your foot land close to your center of gravity (underneath your body). There is nothing special about forefoot running and, in fact, you can injure yourself trying to affect that change. Just let the foot coming forward land a little shorter, not reaching out past your knee.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • natalie412
    Options
    Imho, you shouldn't "TRY" to be a forefoot runner. You should try to let your foot land close to your center of gravity (underneath your body). There is nothing special about forefoot running and, in fact, you can injure yourself trying to affect that change. Just let the foot coming forward land a little shorter, not reaching out past your knee.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Let me rephrase - I try not to heel strike! I have been working on shortening my stride and upping my cadence - in other words, letting my foot land close to my center of gravity, as you said.
  • natalie412
    Options

Imho, you shouldn't "TRY" to be a forefoot runner. You should try to let your foot land close to your center of gravity (underneath your body). There is nothing special about forefoot running and, in fact, you can injure yourself trying to affect that change. Just let the foot coming forward land a little shorter, not reaching out past your knee. I have also been using the Virrata in my rotation, and I am a big fan of those shoes.

Good luck!

Do you find the Virrata's are wearing out fast?
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have two pair, one has 89 miles on them and one pair is brand new. I would say there is a pretty good amount of wear on the older pair, but I think that is the trade-off of having a very light weight shoe. Fortunately, Virrata's usually run a little less cost-wise. I noticed that my Mizuno Cursoris' are showing some decent wear after 61 miles, for the same reason as the Virrata''s, I suspect. The Mizuno's fit a touch better around the ankle for me, but I like the way the cushioning is distributed in the Virrata. Oh, and I only run three times a week, so wear isn't as significant for me a an every day runner or one that logs large mileage weeks. My weekly mileage is around 20 or so (3plus2 plan).

Good luck!

Good luck!

Do you find the Virrata's are wearing out fast?
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody ! Just to update, I went to a running store and bought the asics lyte 33 II ... Awesome shoe, just did a 4.3 mile run right now.. extremely light, comfortable and with a lot of cushioning for its weight...

By the way, I read a lot of reviews at this site :
    www.runningshoesguru.com/‎

And after I searched them at the store and tested by myself ....
  • jacquiroxx922
    jacquiroxx922 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I run in Asics Gel Kayanos (as fitted by a running store), but after this season, my running coach was telling me I might like Kinvaras better. So after these are beat, I'm going to go try them on and run on the 'mill at the store to see if I like them.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    bump -plan on buying new shoes
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I run in the Altra One, New Balance MR00 and the Merrell Bare Access 2
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    Bumping because I'm a running shoe addict and I'm replacing my Boston 3's soon.