placenta encapsulation

Options
jenluvsushi
jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
Anyone here done this or planning on it? I have read so many benefits about doing it including greatly reducing PPD and other symptoms after birth. It can also greatly increase your milk supply. I had major issues with hair loss after my last birth so I am hoping this will help me. Despite the yuck factor for some, I think I'm going to do it. I even found a gal in my area who does it. She comes right to the hospital and collects it as soon as you give birth. She will even add other herbs to the capsules (like fenugreek) if requested. I think people have been doing this in some form or another for thousands of years.....it's funny how much flack I have gotten from people when I've even mentioned it. Oh well.....their loss.

Replies

• ingridveenema
    ingridveenema Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did it with my 2nd and will do it with this baby as well (my third). I highly recommend it:)
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to do it as well. This is my first baby, but after reading about the benefits, I can only see good things coming from it.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've read about it but I just feel grossed out by it. I grew up on a farm and used to see cows eat their steaming raw placenta (being herbivores!) and my dad used to say it's because they don't want to leave any trace of birth behind because of predators (both because the cow is weak and her calf can't run far/fast). Is there any actual study to show there are benefits to eating it? I've been trying to find some but can't find anything so far?
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I heard about this a few months ago and immediately knocked it. Now that i'm getting closer to having my baby here I started researching it pretty randomly and strangely enough I think I'm on board with it too. Are most doctors OK with this? I haven't talked to mine about it yet. After reading about the benefits and talking to my husband I think I can get over the gross factor. It's not like it's eating a chunk of meat anyways which is how I think most people imagine it.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this yourself or are you having someone encapsulate for you? This is very interesting to me. I also grew up on a farm and watched the cows it their placenta for years. I know that there is no way that I could eat it but taking a capsule it completely within my comfort zone. For anyone who has tried it, did you see a difference in your milk production?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    There is actually a lady in my area that does it for a very reasonable fee. She dehydrates it and then turns it into powder to fit into the capsules. She will even add herbs for specific needs like fenugreek, etc. I have seen so many testimonials from women that swear by it and I'm excited to see if it helps me with hair loss and milk supply. I haven't brought this up with my doctor yet because I'm still pretty early in pregnancy. I bet she has probably done this before though because of the area we live in (liberal college town). It runs a few hundred to have it done here. There are tutorials on how to do it yourself but I think I'll pass on that....yikes!
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a lady on speed dial ready to come to the hospital to pick up my placenta. My midwives are on board with it and the hospital has no issues with releasing a placenta with permission to a third party. Quite a few women in my family have dealt with really bad PPD and besides that, I'm planning on breastfeeding. If something will give me energy, up the milk supply, keep me chipper and anemia free, then I'm all about it. The idea is a little weird at first, but it's encapsulated, so it's not like you're sitting down to a steaming plate of bloody raw placenta (some do, more power to ya!), but the fact that pretty much every mammal has done it since they started having babies leads me to believe that it can't just be for fun. I have also read that it can help with future hormonal imbalances, ie, menopause, or if you have to have your ovaries removed for any reason.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have a lady on speed dial ready to come to the hospital to pick up my placenta. My midwives are on board with it and the hospital has no issues with releasing a placenta with permission to a third party. Quite a few women in my family have dealt with really bad PPD and besides that, I'm planning on breastfeeding. If something will give me energy, up the milk supply, keep me chipper and anemia free, then I'm all about it. The idea is a little weird at first, but it's encapsulated, so it's not like you're sitting down to a steaming plate of bloody raw placenta (some do, more power to ya!), but the fact that pretty much every mammal has done it since they started having babies leads me to believe that it can't just be for fun. I have also read that it can help with future hormonal imbalances, ie, menopause, or if you have to have your ovaries removed for any reason.

I am with you. There have to be a multitude of reasons most animals do this, so there has to be something to it. All of the research I have done sounds promising and as someone who suffered with PPD after my last baby, I am willing to do whatever I can to prevent it this time. Even if it doesn't "work", the placebo effect can be very real.

We also have people in the area that will pick it up and encapsulate it for you. For me that takes pretty much all of the ick factor out of it. :)
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    well after doing more research and getting the support to do it from my husband I've already contacted a woman and set everything up! I don't think I could do it myself by any means.