Length of Olympic bar

Options
hockeygrl15
hockeygrl15 Posts: 12 Member
Hi,

I'm hoping to start the Stronglifts program as soon as I get all the equipment for it :) I've been looking into Olympic bars and they seem to come in different lengths (5', 6' and 7'). The 7' ones seem to be the standard, but I'm seeing the other ones available occasionally. Are they for women, shorter people, different exercises? My husband would like to do the program with me, so we are looking for a bar that would work for both of us.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    for what you are doing, just get the standard one :)
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the different lengths. I'm only 5'0" and I have no problem using the 7' standard bar. There are women's bars that I think are shorter but are also smaller in diameter, but I'm not sure on the exact length of them. I'd guess the shorter bars would be lighter too, unless they specifically weight them to 45lbs.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you, and how much do you weigh? You could go for the standard Olympic bar, which is 7' long and weighs 44 lb (people usually round up to 45 when they talk about the weight they pull). This requires a certain amount of strength, which depends on your size. If you have Oly lift ambitions, like snatches and clean and jerks, that might be too heavy for you if you are on the small side. In that case, go for the women's Olympic bar, which is lighter and a bit shorter (I think). I have never seen one of those, just read about them.

I happen to be the height of an average man so I use the standard man size Oly bars that my gym has.
  • ninakale
    ninakale Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    :smile: Agree with all above, 7' is standard at 44 pounds. I THINK the 5'6 is 35 pounds(ish).
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I like the 35lbs shirter bar for deadlifts and OHP since I find I have more balance and control since it is shorter.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    The women's bar is 15kg vs 20 for standard not sure what that is in lbs. I often use it for my rows as I am not using much weight yet.. but if you only get one the standard is the way to go.