Hoping to be sleeved soon

Options
Hi all,

I am new to this group and I could use some friends that are willing to share their VSG experiences. I had my first consult two days ago and I am eager to get this surgery done and on my way to a healthier me.

I've viewed many vlogs on YouTube and watched people's progress after their surgery. Every one of them are positive, but I wonder, are there many failures, too? I have always been heavy my whole life (I am 46), and I know I have a problem with portion control. I don't do fast foods, I just eat too much. I am hoping that the sleeve will help me with that.

I am currently tracking my meals and eating low carb until my surgery.

Does anyone have any advice to give me that you wish you would have had when you started your journey?

Replies

• JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good for you in making this decision! I'm 46 too, and had my vsg March 2012. I never thought I'd choose to have surgery.. but I finally got to a point in thinking that at age 45, if you'd have asked me at age 35 where I expected to be with my weight, I'd have sworn I would have had it under control by now. And I decided I didn't want to be having the same conversation with myself at age 55. I don't regret it at all. And I went into it fully knowing that I was on a 2 year plan, with more than 200 lbs to loose.

I guess for advice, I'd stress to really attack your first 6 months. Because frankly, you pretty much don't have to do anything and the weight will still go. But for me, after 6 mo, I pretty much was able to eat anything, and in pretty decent quantities. So learn your new habits well. Don't go looking to see "what you can push" It will slow down. I've just FINALLY moved out of a 2 month stall. And believe me, I was pretty close to staying on plan... but after losing 135 lbs, I think my body just needed to reset and revise for a bit. Certainly the vsg will help get you the weight loss you want... but be quite honest with yourself, as it is VERY easy to eat around it eventually, so really commit to making this your new way of life, and not go with the "when I lose my weight, I'll be able to go back to "normal" eating. If you do, you'll not be as successful.

The absolute key for me, was and is, the support groups, and working with a psychologist who specializes in obesity and over eating. I go to the monthly WLS support group at my surgery hospital, AND I even piggy back on my friends WLS support group at another hospital 1x a month. The psychologist that I work with privately is my lifeline. The brain is a powerful thing and I've been obese for over 25 years... so those brain patterns do NOT make a permanent change in 6 mo, 8 mo, 1 year... it is a long process and if you are making this decision to have surgery, you owe it to yourself to support yourself with as many tools as possible.

I compare it to walking on a tightrope between two skyscrapers. It's not a matter of IF I lose my balance, but rather WHEN I lose my balance. And I look at the support groups and therapy as one of those long balancing poles the tightrope walkers use. I may still lose my balance, but my tool helps me not lose it as much, and to get me back and focused quicker.

I love, love, love my sleeve, and I'm so thrilled to have lost 140 lbs thus far. I feel great and look great, and can't hardly wait to see the changes that the final 80 lbs will make in me. This is jus such a big journey and know that there are many people here who are also so supportive. So, try to be patient... know that if you DO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO it will work. If you don't, no matter how you rationalize it, it won't give you the results you want. But just DO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO! Follow your bariatric program's rules, and when you stumble, just get back on track. It's such an awesome feeling to have long term success. I can't believe at ALL that it's been over 15 months for me, it's gone so fast!

Good luck! As lots of questions! Be accountable!
    -Jill
  • canhardlyweight
    Options
    Hi JillyinAZ! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take advantage of all the support I can get. I am paying for the sleeve out of my own pocket (well, borrowing against my 401K...), so I think that is also going to motivate me to do my best and listen to all instructions by my doctor. My husband and I decided that we should borrow against our retirement money because if I don't, I might not even make it to my retirement years.

I imagine I won't want to try and see what I can push because my biggest fear is that I will have a leak. I'm not sure how true that is, but hey, if the fear keeps me from pushing it, I don't want to know otherwise. :)

From reading other people's stories, I know that there will be pain from gas pressure right after the surgery. Other than that, did you experience a lot of pain? I don't like to take any medication (I couldn't even remember to take my metformin!), so I'm hoping not to have to have too much pain killers.

Great job on your weight loss, by the way!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi CanHardlyWeight. I can give you a recent perspective. My wife and I were both sleeved May 1st. The gas pressure gives some really weird pains, shoulders was where mine landed. The best advice for that is just to walk and move. As for pain meds, everyone is different. We both used our pain meds for only about 3 to 5 days after the surgery. Cut on Wednesday, driving again the following Monday.

The best bit of advice I can give, take at least 4 weeks off work, 6 weeks might be even better. Immerse yourself in taking care of yourself and getting used to the change. I found I had swelling of the stomach that made even drinking a very very slow process. It is odd when you feel water or a protein shake stop at the top of your stomach and then slowly drain in. I always imagined it working kind of like a clogged sink. Not pretty, but that's the way it felt. Once the swelling went down, it was noticeably easier to eat the mushy foods that we had been allowed to go too.

We too were worried about leaks, but the doctor said that is something that will show while you are still in the hospital. Unless you do not follow the assigned diet plan, you should have no problems before you heal.

This is a brave step. I, not being as smart as JillyinAZ, hit 53 years before I gave up on avoiding surgery. Even then, I kept thinking Lap Band so it could be removed. The doctor talked to us in depth and because we move often for work, and do not plan on staying here, he pointed us to the sleeve as our best option. Now, I'm down almost 70 lbs, 30 before surgery and 40 since and I feel great, but I have to not waste this tool. It is my last shot to have a life after I finish working. At over 430 lbs, I was looking at working until I died and probably sooner than later.

I was unusual in the only other bit of pain I recall. I am one of the 1% of people whose bodies reject the dissolving stitches. My incisions were literally attempting to push the stitches out. The doctor had to remove them at our 4 week checkup, No all is better. Not likely a problem for you, but I had never heard of the problem until I had it.

Again, I applaud your choice to make the best choice for you. Good luck with the surgery!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery three months ago. I had my three month check up with my PCP and all vitamin levels and bloodwork were perfect. I am eating around 1000 calories a day and losing on average 2 pounds a week.

I do enjoy "junk" but I also love plenty of healthy foods too. For me it's so much easier to say no to the junk when I'm not feeling deprived and hungry all the time. I love the feeling of being SATISFIED with a cheese stick and a piece of luncheon meat! I sometimes eat a Quest protein bar for breakfast and this is actually SATISFYING.. in my pre WLS world, it would take FIVE protein bars to fill me up! Yes, it did take me a little while to psychologically get used to these small portions but now, my 2/3 of a cup of food on a salad plate is the new normal! I LOVE my sleeve. LOVE IT. It's definitely still a LOT of work. I still have to resist temptation... I still have to avoid eating out of boredom, I still have to exercise.... but being able to master portion control is a HUGE part of weight loss and the sleeve allows me to master portion control without absolute misery for the FIRST TIME in my life.
  • KateClivex
    Options
    I had the surgery on May 1st. I had no real pain to speak of, not even gas pain. My stomach felt like I had done too many sit-ups. Sore, but not painful.

I have a sleeve of steel - I can tolerate pretty much anything. But the one thing that I do struggle with is getting in my fluids. Before surgery, I used to watch all these sleeved people talk about how difficult liquids are - and I thought that was just simply not something that I would experience. I loved water and soda. I could easily drink 120 oz a day. Now, I have to really push myself to get in the 80 oz or more that I need to lose weight. Water just tastes icky. No more sodas, or carbonation, ever. I cannot seem to find a liquid that I enjoy. I have an alarm that goes off every 15 minutes reminding me to drink, otherwise I forget and just do without.

I love JillyinAZ's advice - a wonderful post. Take advantage of all support resources around you. The most successful sleeved people have outside support - support groups, therapists, etc.

And my biggest piece of advice is to RESEARCH. Know your stuff before you go under the knife. Know the possible complications. Know the lifelong changes you have to make. I spend time reading everything I can. It seems that those that are least successful with the sleeve have not done their research (one lady, after surgery, was shocked that the sleeve is not reversible!) or they chose not to follow their doctor's orders.

You must, must trust your surgeon and your nutritionist. For me, I am trying my best to surrender my control to the surgeon and nutritionist. I am trying not to second guess them, or think that "my" way will work or be better. Because I certainly know that MY WAY has not worked in the past!

Work on good habits before surgery. Condition yourself to drink every few minutes. Get in the habit of exercising daily now. Work on taking tiny bites of food now and chewing thoroughly.

Good luck to you!
  • canhardlyweight
    Options
    KateClivex,

Thanks for the advice. I was a bit surprised by your comment about no more sodas. Is that your preference, or can carbonated beverages not be tolerated with a sleeve? I've done a lot of research but that's the first I've heard of that. But I guess that's not too terrible. I enjoy a diet soda now and then, but if I have to avoid them completely, I can.

MissJulesdid,

Congrats on the weight loss! That wasn't all since 3 months ago, was it?! I'm glad you said that the sleeve helps you with portion control. That's always been my biggest problem, and what I'm hoping will help me the most.

dward59,

Fortunately, or I guess Unfortunately, I have a desk job, so I think I won't need to take off as much time as someone with a physically demanding job. Although I'm sure my sedentary job doesn't help my weight loss, does it?! :)
    I had never heard of the stitches being rejected, but it makes perfect sense. It is a foreign object in your body. Hopefully, I won't have any complications like that, since I am going to be tapped out just paying for the surgery.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

MissJulesdid,

Congrats on the weight loss! That wasn't all since 3 months ago, was it?! I'm glad you said that the sleeve helps you with portion control. That's always been my biggest problem, and what I'm hoping will help me the most.
    Thanks! LOL, no, I lost 70 pounds prior to surgery. My weightloss isn't any faster since surgery, it's just less painful now to stick within my calorie limit!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    my surgeon's staff is submitting my request for surgery approval to my insurance this week. I hope to be scheduled within a month or two. all these posts have been very helpful. I will be checking in often. thanks and wish me luck and pray if you are so inclined.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Best of Luck Becky! Good thoughts headed your way. Hope to see your posts as you go through this journey.
  • cfranz7715
    cfranz7715 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved March 5, 2013. And yes, everyone is different and will have different experiences. Some tolerate pain better than others. ... heres my 2 cents. I lost 30 some pounds before surgery (required by my insurance). To date I have lost 96 lbs. I feel fantastic. I have another 90 or so to go!

Belly was sore after surgery... not horribly bad. WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK... get rid of the gas, you'll feel better. I had horrible esphogeal spasms after.. it would hurt under my left breast for a few seconds at a time. They were killer but would go just as quickly as they came. Surgery was on a Tuesday.. my spasms lasted till Saturday but during the weak they progressively got less and less till gone completely.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! If you have ANY specific questions.. I would be glad to answer!!! : ) Best of luck to you!
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was sleeved Nov. 19th 2012. Jill's advice was really spot on, and so were the other comments. In regards to the gas pains, most do experience them to some degree. Biologically, it is caused when the doctor inserts carbon dioxide gas into the abdomen to distend it. This is done so he can move the scope around with ease, and visualize the internal structures. When he is finished with the procedure, they try to remove as much as possible, but ultimately some of the gas is retained, and may get trapped up under the diaphragm. This is what causes the pain, especially in the shoulder area. It's called a "referred pain", meaning it is felt in an area other than where it's source is. Walking and moving is the only way to get it to pass or reabsorb and it usually takes 12-24hrs. That was really my worst discomfort. I took the pain meds while I was in the hospital so that I would be comfortable enough to get up and walk every couple of hours. Once home, I took Tylenol liquid during the day, and the stronger liquid just at night, for the first couple days, just so I could sleep comfortably. After the first 2-3 days, I took nothing at all. Regarding the soda issue, my surgeon/nutritionist are adamant that we stopped soda as soon as we started prepping for surgery (6 months prior), and will never be able to drink it again. I know this to be the same for most people I have talked to regardless of who their surgeon was. Mine also says no straws either. Reasoning for both is excess gas being introduced into the system. We were also taught the "30-30-30" rule--no drinking for 30 min. before, and after a meal, taking at least 30 min, to eat the actual meal. this is to ensure that 1) you are not filling with water and thus not getting your protein in, and 2) flushing food out of your pouch and not absorbing the nutrients. Another habit to start pre-op, is to get in the habit of always eating your protein first. This way you ensure that you are getting it in, Eating other things first may not leave you with room enough for the protein.
    Truthfully, at 9 months out, I am at a point where I can eat anything and in fairly good amounts. That is where the hard part comes in, because it's still about portion control and good choices. I have experienced a stall for the last 3 months, without budging, and as frustrating as it is, I keep doing what I am supposed to be doing, and know that I will eventually start losing steadily again. I'm not gaining, just not losing. As one writer stated, my body is doing a "reset" right now. I still am glad I had the surgery, even during the frustrating times, and use every day as a learning experience. Use every tool and opportunity you have offered to you. Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Dont spend too much money on protein shakes and chewable vitamins now. Buy only minimum amounts and then buy as things work for you after the surgery. I bought a LOT of protein shakes before the surgery only to later found out it was not recommended by my doctor and now a year later it still sitting unused in the closet lol. Also you taste buds change so what you may like now may not be what you can handle later. I had to try 5+ different brands of protein and numerous different recipes and blends before I found what protein drinks worked for me, whereas some people luck out straight away. I had the same problem with vitamins and went through 3 brands of chewable multivitamins and 2 different types of calcium.

Good luck.

As for your questions regarding failures my view is that this only a tool and its success is in part about how well you work it and how well you stick to the eating plan and guide that your given by your doctor and medical team. However, that being said, each persons body is different and with this you can never compare results some people may only lose 40 pounds and other 240 it depends on where you start and always remember that the scale should NEVER be the only factor you consider in your "success." Also take LOTS of pictures as you progress and take your measurements starting now so you can compare and have a point of reference aside from the scale. :smile:
  • BeckyMBisMe
    Options
    yikes, I heard from my surgeon's "insurance clerk" that my ins. may not accept the co-morbidities listed by my PCP. The doc only put hypertension and osteoarthritis and my insurance company has been known to reject the later! I have to ask my doc to rewrite her letter of recommendation and include more of my co-morbidities. I happen to work for my doc so it won't be a problem (I hope) but it just "feels" like another delay. It's like being a kid waiting for Christmas now that I've made the decision that this is what I want and need to do.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your delay Becky. Pray all goes quickly. It will be worth it.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    Options
    Well, I got the new letter with more co-morbidities listed. It was faxed to my surgeons office Friday. I'm hoping for a Sept. or Oct. surgery date but I'm not holding my breath. I will be very happy if it happens before the holiday food frenzy starts. It seems that is always my worst time for a regain! I'm so tired of losing and regaining the same 20 or so pounds every year!