Ugh. Giving up Wheat, Corn AND Milk....alternatives?

Options
monicalosesweight
monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
So, I knew I had a wheat allergy, then discovered the corn issue, upped my milk and started getting worse so now it appears I have an allergy to milk (though cream doesn't affect me that much - weird). So here's what I need, what alternatives have you guys developed to get around this stuff? Are there any brands you've found that cover all three allergies?

Monica

Replies

• snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am also off wheat corn and dairy... my diary is open if you want some menu ideas or brand names ...

I gave up one at a time over a few weeks just could not do it cold turkey...

I really do feel a lot better..

Good luck
  • gottaTuscany
    gottaTuscany Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm off corn, dairy, wheat/gluten, soy and eating solely organic. I use coconut milk products to replace dairy. I just don't buy much pre-packaged food anymore. I rarely can eat it. Good luck to you. Just eat clean. Think one ingredient foods, or at the very least keep the ingredient list to a minimum.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We are a dairy, nut, gluten, corn, soy, free house....it's not too bad. We use coconut milk instead of dairy milk, and there are tons of GF recipes out there. Corn is easy to avoid if you don't rely on pre-packaged processed foods.

And remember there is a huge difference between an allergy and an intolerance. You might not be able to drink milk, but butter/yogurt/cream etc might not bother you. You'll have to try them out and see. It you were allergic to dairy then ALL dairy would make you ill.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    This is annoying because my intolerance is causing rashes. The heavy whipping cream doesn't seem to affect me too much but yogurt was causing me to have issues. I wonder if it's because it's aged? I can't drink regular milk either. What I find truly annoying is my allergist had told me I had no milk allergy. You may be right and what I have is more of some strange intolerance.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Vegan, grain free, multiple allergies. What do you need help with?
  • mullycathNZ
    mullycathNZ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is annoying because my intolerance is causing rashes. The heavy whipping cream doesn't seem to affect me too much but yogurt was causing me to have issues. I wonder if it's because it's aged? I can't drink regular milk either. What I find truly annoying is my allergist had told me I had no milk allergy. You may be right and what I have is more of some strange intolerance.

I'm no expert so may be wrong but you could be lactose intolerant and therefore unable to have milk but some milk products will be OK/better. And as someone else pointed out, if it is an intolerance, small amounts may be tolerated by your body which could explain things?

Just my two cents... good luck - small changes will help and over time it will get easier!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    No brands. Just whole, unprocessed foods - fresh/frozen: fruits, veggies, protein. I rarely have any of those (corn, wheat, cow's milk), aside from some cheese and yogurt (lactose intolerant, but those are fine. but cow's milk will KILL my stomach!). Gluten intolerance, and try to avoid corn, but I do occasionally have some tortilla chips (but they're addicting to me!). I use coconut milk sometimes, but don't need it often (for the occasional protein shake). I also have a shellfish allergy - like hives and anaphalaxis real allergy. I found out my betta's fish food has shrimp. I have to scrub my hands after feeding him! But I digress. I also avoid soy for health reasons.

what do you need help with? Feel free to browse my diary, and skip anything with corn or soy sauce (until I get rid of the regular stuff).

I use coconut cream in my coffee. The few times a year I might bake (in the past 6 months, I made choc chip cookies once, and biscuits once) I used almond and/or coconut flour.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump for information
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    What do you guys do for breads? I'm going on a hiking trip and want some alternatives for packing light lunches as I travel about. I seem to be running into issues due to the corn/wheat thing as so many items are gluten free but NOT corn free.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do for breads? I'm going on a hiking trip and want some alternatives for packing light lunches as I travel about. I seem to be running into issues due to the corn/wheat thing as so many items are gluten free but NOT corn free.

Lettuce wraps. Or I just roll the lunch meat & cheese together.

Lemmie see...we had a grain-free (corn and wheat) thread going not too long ago...
    Here! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1007303-snack-foods-for-a-trip-gluten-free-grain-free
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There's a grain-free group too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8246-grain-free

Not much activity, but if you ask questions, we will help out. My tortilla recipe is under the recipe threads.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    We are gluten , grain, dairy, legume, peanut, sunflower and soy free. For dairy we use full fat canned coconut milk- I use it as cream in my coffee, to make ice cream, in creamed soups , to make gravy, to cook with, as dairy free sour cream and whipped cream - anything I would use milk or cream for basically. I use coconut oil, olive oil . bacon grease and palm shortening instead of butter and to cook with. Breads and things I make all homemade- well everything we make homemade these days including our condiments- It is too hard to find pre-made that we can eat. Since we are grain free I use coconut flour. flax seed meal and almond meal for most things. We don't really eat a lot bread though. We do have pancakes, muffins, cookies.. I use coconut flour bread instead of corn bread with chili and to make stuffing at Thanksgiving. I get a lot of my recipes on fastpaleo.com. We eat very basic most of the time meats,eggs, vegetables potatoes, fruit and nuts. If you need specific help or more ideas you can message me.
  • kmilborn
    Options
    Applegate GF Turkey with Avocado rolled up in it with a little pepper is really good. I am GF, Corn Free & Dairy free as well as I experience stomach pains daily. The key is to really try and avoid packaged foods as much as you can.
  • Velouria99
    Velouria99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • Velouria99
    Velouria99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at this posting. I get rashes too. What are yours like? I am gluten, dairy, grain free, but I occasionally cheat with dairy and beer. Mine are very splotchy, upper arms face chest
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Your allergist might be right about dairy. It isn't always possible to find the cause of a rash. They can even be caused by emotional stress. Have you tried an elimination diet? I don't recommend trying one without talking to your allergist, but it is one way to help sort out which foods are a problem.
  • eggfooyumyum
    eggfooyumyum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ahh, it sounds like you have come across the "Histamine" theory. I also have irregular reactions to foods ( dairy, eggs, gluten, shellfish, preservatives) that sometimes make it very difficult to determine the cause. I am off gluten, eggs, and dairy. I also don't seem to have a reaction to cream or butter. Egg whites are horrible for me and they are in a lot of gluten free breads. I am still eating corn. After much online research I stumbled across the histamine theory. The idea is that our body will produce histamine to combat a chemical that is threatening - essentially an allergy. The result can be hives, rashes, and itching - among other things. Less than fresh food, or "leftovers" can also be a trigger. This revelation explained in spades my sometimes extreme reaction to shrimp, while other times I was totally fine.

It's worth checking out if you haven't already.

In my pantry:

Blue Diamond Almond Milk - 30 calories - 8oz
    Food for Life - gluten free brown rice bread
    Tinkayada gluten free pastas
    Earth Balance dairy free butter
    Gluten free instant Oatmeal
    Nature's Path - gluten free cereals
    Praegers Veggie Burgers
    Veganaise (vegan mayo)
    Glutino pretzels ( special treat- better than regular pretzels)
    Pantry's - Gluten free all purpose flour
    Wild Cod - freezes and thaws well - mild flavor
    Grass fed beef
    Chicken Breasts
    Applegate GF sausages
    Van's GF Bluberry Waffles
    Amy's GF sandwich rounds
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the histamine theory. I decided to look into it and I'm starting to wonder if maybe this could be one of my issues. I've started taking vitamin C to reduce my histamine levels and it seems to be helping. I still have to avoid Corn and wheat (also gluten products) but at least I seem to be able to reduce the rashes with Vitamin C.
  • washingtonred
    Options
    People who have dairy issues maybe able to tolerate sheep's milk like cheeses and I even saw a sheep's milk yogurt.

I use coconut milk as a dairy alternative, but I only use the canned stuff and not the stuff in the carton.

Good luck,
    Red
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You could also look into recipes that follow the Paleo diet. All of them will be dairy, gluten and corn free in addition to some other common allergens that are around like soy.

The tips that say avoid processed foods is a good one, there is corn in a lot of processed foods. But you can still eat a lot of nice things or make them yourself.