Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hey, n00bie to this site, advice plz!

Hey,

I'm sure this is a relatively common problem, but I've yet to find a solution!!
I'm late 20's and diagnosed Coeliac approx. 7yrs ago. Took a bit of getting used to
but I've had a handle on it now for long enough to stop accidentally poisoning myself!

The problem I've had is, due to the processed nature of most GF products you buy, if you can get them at all,
once you have started to feel well on the GF diet the weight starts to go back on.
I'm not at a hideously unhealthy weight but in the same breath I'm not entirely satisfied which is why I'm on here! :)

I was hoping for any suggestions on diet planning dealing with Coeliac Disease. Healthy options to white bread or snacks and the like. I'm a bit terrible for sweets in the evenings so I'm trying to find a healthier alternative while I'm working on kicking the habit!
Also, I live in Ireland so choice of ingredients is slim!!

Thanks for putting up with my rant-like post and any helpful advice is welcome!

:D

Replies

• fatfishy
    fatfishy Posts: 19 Member
    I'm Coeliac too (uk based) although I'm newly diagnosed and still trying to get my head round it. As my healthnhasvtaken a battering I'm trying to eat more healthily too.
    I have tended to avoid the 'replacement' items such as pastas and bread and I eat more potatoes and rice, but just tend to eat lower carb, lots of salad and veg.
    I also love sweets and snacks in the evenings, so allow myself a small bar of fudge, a freddo frog or something similar so I'm not denied!
    I have a box of nut/seed based snack bars for healthier treats.
    My diary is open, please feel free to add me as a friend, although I'm still learning!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Hi and welcome - have a look at my diary as I'm in the UK so you may have access to some of the stuff I do (ignore the last two days as been away)

I use a lot of chicken and also steak in my diet . I'm also going to start adding lentils and other pulses to my diet as they are full of protein but not so fatty.

I snack on nuts and fruit ( I have food intolerances too) but thngs like hummus is good.
  • paintgirl21
    paintgirl21 Posts: 5 Member
    I recently discovered recently that some tasty GF muffins that I purchased the other day are 320 cals. each! It's mostly in the sugar. I wish I had looked more closely at the labelling. I won't make that mistake again :(

I generally don't go for the GF pastas because somewhere in the back of my mind I'm comparing them to normal noodles and they do still, by nature, contain alot of carbs. I've been known to put spaghetti sauce on top of quinoa or potato or rice instead.

Don't forget that lots of inherently GF snacks are fatty ie: potato chips, tortillas, popcorn(because I can't have it without butter!).
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I learned I had Celiacs two years ago.. when I first went gluten free I did like most people do I went wild for the GF subs- breads, pastas, rice, corn chips and corn tortillas and tons of beans and potatoes.. Within the first month I fattened up like a grain fed cow packing on 35 lbs..not what I wanted since I was already over weight..Then all grain began giving me problems and so did dairy.. I didn't begin to lose until I gave both up. Then many other food issues followed.. I do better on a lower carb diet.. I stick with coconut flour, almond meal and flax seed meal. though I don't eat much bread I do on occasion make muffins, cupcakes etc. My menu is pretty basic Meats, eggs, fruit, vegetables, good fats and a few nuts. I have lost 65 lbs but still a have a ways to go. the Paleo diet helped me a lot but was not enough to promote healing for me. I was older when I found about CD and have a lot of damage to over come . I am currently doing the GAPS diet to heal my gut. It is high protein/high fat low carb.. though my weight loss has stalled but my goal right now is healing- hopefully weight loss will begin again once my body starts to get well.