Bored Eaters

Options
slamirault
slamirault Posts: 12 Member
Hey lovely ladies! Are any of you bored eaters like me, i.e. you eat when you're bored? I've been trying to break my habit. I tell myself "I'm not hungry, just bored" and try to remind myself I'm losing weight. What ways have you tried to break the habit?

Replies

• danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bored eating is something I struggle with. It's like my second nature- nothing to do, get in the kitchen and fix myself something even if I'm not hungry (which is why I'm trying to focus on learning new crafts like beading, crocheting- keeps my hands and mind busy)

Eating for boredom and eating just bc I like the taste of something are my biggest offenders.
  • kimee1909
    kimee1909 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello,

I'm very much a bored eater!! It doesn't help when you sit behind a desk all day either & then struggle to find work to do as you're in a bit of a lull!!

When I know I'm trying to lose weight & with me having a desk job, I try not to bring snacks, or if I do then I bring fruit instead. I also make sure I have no change in my purse to nip to the vending machine that's in the building, then I can't buy anything! Plus saving for the wedding & saving for a deposit for the house, kinda forces me to not buy anything unless its essential! I just think of my house I want & my dream wedding day.

Hope this helps! x
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am a huge bored eater! I try to combat it with a few tricks - if I think I am hungry I drink a glass of water first then wait 10 mins and see if I am still "hungry".I also will try to pack fruits and veggies to munch on. another thing I have noticed is if I have coffee or tea the caffeine seems to suppress my appetite. hope that helps!
  • Jenni19453
    Jenni19453 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong- or way off base- but I think that's a part of how we got to where we are. I'll speak for myself and say that I probably have an unhealthy relationship with food. While most people should be eating to live, I live to eat. I LOVE food. I love the taste, the smell, the presentation, the texture.... I love sweet, salty, unami... I love to cook it and I love to dine out. I look forward to events (lately, grad parties) where I know there will be good pickins.
    I sit at a desk all day, and I used to love to snack... I felt like it made the day go faster. But now I don't. I won't let myself. At least, I won't let myself graze. Only portioned healthy snacks. It took some practice, dare I say, withdrawl? But we can do it.
    Also, like kimee1909 said, make sure you have healthy options. It's better to bored eat on fruit than chocolate. And I also heard somewhere that if you're not hungry enough to eat the fruit that you brought, you're not hungry enough.
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think it is totally ok to have a snack while at work or during down-time, but it depends on a lot of factors. BUT I agree - knitting, crocheting, doing sudoku or a word puzzle in a BOOK so that you have to hold it with one hand and write with the other, they keep your hands and your mind busy. And when I snack, I like to eat nuts. They are small, crunchy, and usually exactly what I am jonesing for anyway. you can eat a few, or the whole amount that you have weighed/measured for yourself and put in a ziplock bag (i do 1/4 cup). When they are gone, they're gone!