Clothes Question for My Fellow Amaze-ons :)

Options
ReinaJaLaNa
ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
So, I realized this morning that at least one of my pairs of skinny jeans are now too loose for me, and another pair that I ended up wearing are clearly on their way, which is of course a great thing; however, of course there comes the dilemma of clothes no longer fitting.

I know there comes a point -- or, actually, many points -- in every committed weight-loser's journey when they have to figure out whether or not it's a good time to buy new, slimmer clothes.

I figure for a little while, I'll have some of my clothes -- particularly my pants, skirts, etc. -- tailored for the changes, but when do you think is a good time to just go out and buy yourself some new stuff?

I know some people mention shopping at much less-expensive places -- like thrift shops, consignment shops, Goodwill -- and that's all well and good when it comes to my tops/shirts/blouses and maybe even dresses, but when it comes to bottoms -- particularly pants and long skirts -- I'm sure many of you know that's no-can-do for us. So, that's especially why I'd like to figure out when would be a good time to go buy new, for example, jeans?

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I buy new pants every other pants size and just use a belt in between to keep my pants up. If I waited any longer they'd bunch super badly and look terrible.

Luckily this last year I've just been taking college courses, so I can wear whatever without it really mattering. For my t-shirts I've been tailoring them myself. Which is actually pretty awesome as then i get to keep the extra length of the larger size.

1d257703-fa17-4657-8b15-0bab973e68e5_zps407649bc.jpg

This next year I'm going to be teaching as well as taking classes, so unfortunately I'm going to have to buy some real nice clothes. I'm putting it off as long as possible so I don't have to re-buy them since tailoring them will be harder to do. I'm hoping I reach my goal weight or close enough to that before the summer is over. Once I do I'll probably buy a couple nice basics from Gap (love their talls) and see how maintaining works out.

Best of luck!
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, well done! The clothes thing has been an issue, particularly being tall. We have a very good thrift store here - I live in Bermuda, so I've been wearing lovely new - to me - clothes in some funky colours and styles with the knowledge that I will wash them all and give them back every few weeks. I've treated it like a lending library really, and it has made me consider new styles - something I have ignored for the last eight years where I have worn clothes to camouflage my bulk.
    I read some very good advice on what tall girls should wear from Long Tall Sally - maybe have a look there. And buy new skinny jeans whenever you can - you're not spending the cash on junk food anymore - you deserve it. And new bras - get measured. You'll find your cup size has exploded as your back has shrunk. Freaky science.
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean, I haven't bought to much clothing since I started my journey in January. I know when I bought a new pair of slacks, they fit me fine for like a month, and then started to loosen up a bit, now they're too big, even with a belt. Luckily they were cheap, so I didn't worry to much. my suggestion is that if you really need something and they are cheap or on sale, go for it, don't buy something expensive or hard to alter if you know you will be getting smaller. Buying Jeans that stretch or flex a little may help as well as they adjust to your form more for a longer time .
  • betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My butt on my pants is loose. When I am maintaining for a couple of weeks I will buy one or 2 things. ;)