Training Schedule Help

Options
watermstry
watermstry Posts: 41 Member
I had planned on doing a half marathon in 4 weeks. However, due to illness and other factors, I have missed a lot of training during the last few weeks. I have kept up with my long runs - today would be ten miles - but I know I haven't built up enough strength and endurance to do this run without extraordinary effort.

So, I have decided to do a different half on August 10th. This has taken a weight off of my shoulders, as this is my second half, and I really wanted to do more than finish. The extra preparation time will help.

Now that I have pushed the half back, I am thinking doing a sprint triathlon in July. This will be my third one. My main goal is success in the half marathon, and the triathlon would be purely for fun - no really worries about my time. However, I would want to do some bike and swim training before then.

I have a few questions: first, do people think it is unwise to do a triathlon in July? Would adding a swim and bike or two a week be too distracting, difficult, or tiring at that point in my half training?

If not, what would be people suggest as far as schedule? I run Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, and Sun, with long runs on Sunday. I would have time to double workouts a couple days a week, if needed. My upper body needs the most work, so I think I should swim 2x a week, and try to get a way with biking 1x a week. I was thinking of something like this:

Mon - off
Tue - run and swim
Wed - bike
Thu - run
Fri - swim (short)
Sat - run
Sun- long run

If I do a triathlon, what week would be best? There are races every weekend, but the one I really want to do is July 27th, which is two weeks before the half, when I would be doing a 12 mile run. Too close to the half? I am a moderately fit person. After my last tri, I was very sore for about 2 days, and felt normal after a week.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I'm doing a marathon in October and a sprint tri in September. Swimming and biking are two of the best crosstraining workouts for running and will actually IMPROVE it! I think your schedule looks fine, but I'd push the tri up one more week because you said it took a week to get back to "normal."
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I read an article a few weeks ago that said that runners should incorporate biking into their workouts because it will help them become a better runner and vice versa. I agree with primalrunner. Move your tri up a week.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Cross trainng is on thing but not knowing what illness you had I would be inclined to leave the Tri alone. Concentrate on your half and then full. There is a danger you will try and do too much and end up overtraining/injuring yourself.

if there was a longer lead time I'd say go for it but as it is I'd leave it.
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you had never done a tri before, I would advise against it, but since this is your 3rd, you almost definitely have the base you need.

I say do it and have fun with it!

For what it's worth, when I was in your boat, I had almost the exact same training plan. One thing I might add is a day where you do both a bike and a cross training to keep your core stable.
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for your help.

Primal, I know, I saw your post in the tri form right after I wrote this one!

My illness was a two-week cold virus with mild fever. I think it was exaceberated by my asthma and lack of sleep. I am a teacher, so I should be healthier this summer. I will definitely watch for over-training though, thank you for pointing that out.

I think I will go ahead and aim for the tri, and will try to find one that is a week earlier.

Happy Running!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for your help.

Primal, I know, I saw your post in the tri form right after I wrote this one!

My illness was a two-week cold virus with mild fever. I think it was exaceberated by my asthma and lack of sleep. I am a teacher, so I should be healthier this summer. I will definitely watch for over-training though, thank you for pointing that out.

I think I will go ahead and aim for the tri, and will try to find one that is a week earlier.

Happy Running!

You can do it!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I had planned on doing a half marathon in 4 weeks. However, due to illness and other factors, I have missed a lot of training during the last few weeks. I have kept up with my long runs - today would be ten miles - but I know I haven't built up enough strength and endurance to do this run without extraordinary effort.

So, I have decided to do a different half on August 10th. This has taken a weight off of my shoulders, as this is my second half, and I really wanted to do more than finish. The extra preparation time will help.

Now that I have pushed the half back, I am thinking doing a sprint triathlon in July. This will be my third one. My main goal is success in the half marathon, and the triathlon would be purely for fun - no really worries about my time. However, I would want to do some bike and swim training before then.

I have a few questions: first, do people think it is unwise to do a triathlon in July? Would adding a swim and bike or two a week be too distracting, difficult, or tiring at that point in my half training?

If not, what would be people suggest as far as schedule? I run Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, and Sun, with long runs on Sunday. I would have time to double workouts a couple days a week, if needed. My upper body needs the most work, so I think I should swim 2x a week, and try to get a way with biking 1x a week. I was thinking of something like this:

Mon - off
    Tue - run and swim
    Wed - bike
    Thu - run
    Fri - swim (short)
    Sat - run
    Sun- long run

If I do a triathlon, what week would be best? There are races every weekend, but the one I really want to do is July 27th, which is two weeks before the half, when I would be doing a 12 mile run. Too close to the half? I am a moderately fit person. After my last tri, I was very sore for about 2 days, and felt normal after a week.

Thanks for the help.

First of all 2 weeks will give you plenty of time to recover for your half. If the sprint falls on your long run day just run the more distance on the end of your race.

Secondly here is how I would set up your schedule

Mon- recovery swim (form focus, something with a pull buoy to put the emphasis on your front end and not your legs. Water has been show to be very therapeutic in flushing the legs)
    Tues- run
    Wed- bike (intervals)
    Thurs- run
    Fri- Swim and run (both short)
    Sat- bike (long)
    Sun- long run
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If the half is your true target race I'm not sure it's a good idea to do a tri 2 weeks out -- that is probably when you should be doing your longest long run in preparation for the half, and doing a tri just isn't the same thing. 3 weeks out or more would be better. Just my two cents...