But, I Didn't ASK to Be a Vegan Spokesperson...

Options
ThriftyChica12
ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
On a recent roadtrip, I found myself at a restaurant trying to explain to my server that I was vegan, and wanted to tweak my order: leave off the cheese, add steamed veggies, etc. He seemed intrigued by veganism, albeit in a bit of a teasing, playful, that-sounds-really-hard kinda way. But he was a good server, and my order was perfect.
When check time came, I deliberately left an extra large tip, telling my friend, "I want him to remember me as 'that really generous vegan'". People are often looking for reasons to dislike vegans, and with the way we are portrayed in media and entertainment, as well as the few-but-memorable 'vegan nazis' out there, the average meat eater does not need to look far.

So I always tip extra.

This got me thinking about the ways in which I try to represent veganism well: at work, where I wear a vegan button, I actually try to be extra nice because I know people are reading my button, and I want to show them that vegans are compassionate. When at parties or get-togethers with meat eaters, I always bring rich, yummy, non-threatening vegan food to share, and I eat with gusto---I am showing that vegans are well-fed and live with abundance.

But now I am doubting one way in which I "demonstrate" veganism--what does it mean that I am a "fat vegan"?
On one hand, being an overweight vegan actually pleases me in some ways: first, I like bending people's brain and defying stereotypes...like when I was a purple haired goth who would always hold doors for little old ladies. Being a fat woman who poses naked for art classes, dances with flaming hula hoops, and exudes a confident vibe definitely defies people's perceptions...and being a fat vegan is part of that. Second, I definitely prove that vegans are NOT "starving"...I eat well, have curves for miles, and all my chubby parts are filled with plant nutrients, thank-u-very-much.

However, if I am looking to show that veganism is HEALTHY, being overweight does not really help that message. I mean, I AM healthy...but people who meet me at work or the grocery store can't see my awesome cholesterol, my boundless energy, or my super-efficient digestive system (well, maybe if they use the bathroom after me...but...ewwwww!) They see my excess weight, and perhaps even assume that vegans are UN-healthy: that we eat processed, fake meats (I do, I admit), and that veganism will put weight on them.

Believe me, I am not losing weight just to improve myself as a walking billboard for veganism. But it is another good reason to strive to be a better healthier me...one encounter at a time, the world is watching. And while I don't want to portray veganism as something "you should do to lose weight" (I am vegan for ethics), I DO want to show that you CAN lose weight while being a healthy vegan.

Replies

• carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say this post is brilliant and I'm glad to have you on my friend list.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    THIS. I tend to be kinda misanthropic, but when I'm wearing a vegan shirt or button, I'm much nicer because I don't want people to think vegans are inherently cold or distant.

It used to bug me when people would do a double take when they heard I was vegan; I felt like they were thinking, "Then how did you get so fat?" While I did eventually lose weight, I didn't do it *by* being vegan; I did it by eating less crap and exercising more. Now people ask if I lost the weight by being vegan, and I'm always careful to tell them no. This isn't a weight loss diet, and people who think veganism will help them trim down by forcing them to restrict might get into trouble when they realize that vegans have tasty food, too.
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Very well written post. My sister actually told me just this weekend I would be a better advocate for veganism if I WASN"T so skinny, because she thinks people assume I must go hungry all the time! In reality I am at a healthy place, and have great energy etc. BUt people I think often see what they want to see. My sister is a big time meat eater and doesn't "approve" of my plant-based lifestyle. So she chooses to see me as too skinny, even though this is not true. I imagine there are people who might look at you and say--why bother going vegan if she isn't a beanpole? At the end of the day, my size and my choice to me vegan may be correlated but one does not cause the other. I agree that the world is watching, but I am striving to be healthy and choosing to be vegan because I know it is the right thing for ME, the planet, and all the creatures we share it with. And who knows, maybe being a less than "pure" vegan-- (cuz I like cookies and fake meat too) will actually make others more willing to explore the vegan lifestyle....

thanks for sharing this chica!
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    thanks! that is sweet! :flowerforyou:
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    SO true...I generally try to discourage people from seeing as a purely "weight loss diet" for all the reasons u mention!
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    yes, yes, yes to everything u have said!!!!

in fact, i almost afraid that, as i continue to lose weight, others will say, "uh-oh...u are getting skinny! u are starving! see, veganism does not give u enough protein! eat a cheese burger, quickly now!"

i hope to a be a skinny vegan someday, and i am working on it! mostly, I just love being ME! skinny or fat or anything in between :)
  • MSSMAD
    MSSMAD Posts: 7
    Options
    "People are often looking for reasons to dislike vegans, and with the way we are portrayed in media and entertainment, as well as the few-but-memorable 'vegan nazis' out there, the average meat eater does not need to look far. "

YES! I am the only vegan of my friends and family. My friends and acquaintances often tell me, "you're a nice vegan" or "I'm glad you're not a militant vegan!"

Heehee.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. No one is an ideal or an example, we are only ourselves. I think it's great that you try to buck the stereotypes, but if I walked around feeling like I had to represent all white women, or all brown haired people, I think it would drive me a little crazy.

Also . . . flaming hula hoops? How does that work?
  • chitownbella1
    chitownbella1 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    love love love this :heart:
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. No one is an ideal or an example, we are only ourselves. I think it's great that you try to buck the stereotypes, but if I walked around feeling like I had to represent all white women, or all brown haired people, I think it would drive me a little crazy.

LOL! i am a hoop dancer (i dance while spinning hula hoops on all parts of my body), and sometimes use a fire hoop, which is a hoop that has wicks affixed to it using metal spokes. the wicks get dipped in lamp oil, and are lit to create fire that u can dance with.
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Loving yourself is always the MOST important thing and something I am working on too !
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I am a fat vegan, too, and struggle with how people look at me...I can see their wheels turning! Thank you for your awesome post!
  • kimclenard
    kimclenard Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Very well written Chica! Thank you for being so open with all of us about your thoughts, feelings and opinions of your personal vegan journey. You are an inspiring lady and I am glad that our paths have crossed to support one another on this vegan health and ethical path :-)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

LOL! i am a hoop dancer (i dance while spinning hula hoops on all parts of my body), and sometimes use a fire hoop, which is a hoop that has wicks affixed to it using metal spokes. the wicks get dipped in lamp oil, and are lit to create fire that u can dance with.

So cool! I bet you are one of the fittest (and most coordinated) people on MFP! I am exhausted after hula hooping 3 times.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I LOVE what you posted and how you said it....well done. So many people think that since I am vegan, I should be very thin and unhealthy looking....I am not either of those things. I am curvy and a bit chubby, but I am also healthy and active.

I would like to lose weight to ensure that I can stay active, so I am determined to do this, but I am never going to be really thin, but probably just a bit less curvy. :happy:
  • tinyfeeny
    tinyfeeny Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    awesome post!! I thought I was the only one that felt this way...Thank you:heart:
  • see_turtle
    see_turtle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great post, glad we are friends you express yourself very well! Fat vegans unite! MY hubsband is 6'4" and 320 lbs and he does not LOOK like a vegan but he is!
  • vegan_rose
    vegan_rose Posts: 12
    Options
    I just love being ME! skinny or fat or anything in between :)

Firstly great post and sorry I didn't read it earlier. I'd also just love to say, that I too one day hope to be able to love being ME, its good to hear you feel that way about yourself...I am sure that is half the battle!

Hopefully I have made sense :-)

Rose x
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I really adore this. I do agree with the idea that some people are 'looking' for the pushy vegan stereotype. I have been compared to a member of PETA while explaining why I do not like PETA's viewpoints and how I find them detrimental to animals! Some people will place you in a box no matter what.

That said, the little things you do almost certainly make a difference for the people who are receptive to it :)
  • Zlink
    Zlink Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    this was a great post!
    thank you:)