Microsoft finally smartens up.

Options
dandur
dandur Posts: 267 Member
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

and confirmed by Microsoft here: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

I was kind of hoping to see how all of it was going to play out.

Replies

• twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Microsoft shot themselves in the foot in a major way - the one thing that can redeem them is the fact that it comes out 1 month before the PS4.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm glad they decided to get rid of the DRM, and allow used games, etc. Now I may consider getting an Xbox in the future if some of their exclusives turn out to be decent. Still getting a PS4 day one though.
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    This was only a matter of time before they changed their model. Nice thing is, is that if you still embrace the digital only mentality, it's still there for you to enjoy. And for those that want a physical disc, you now get your way too.

I gotta believe this is coming out now and not later is because MS got wind of how many PS4's are being pre-ordered already, then looked at their numbers and were like, " They aren't even close! "
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was laughing so hard reading about this.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I do wonder if it's too little, too late and I'm kind of hoping so.

So the voice of the people worked to make change, they need to be able to see first hand what bad marketing and press can do for their company. Not just backtrack and pretend like it never happened.
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    good for them for doing a 180 on their DRM policy, I am still planning on getting a ps4,

though it is very annoying to see microsoft loyalists spouting "no more DRM! xbox is going to be the winner again!" BS on various forums.

if only they can realize that microsoft did not get rid of their DRM for the "loyalists", if microsoft could have their way, the DRM would still be implemented, the DRM policy bit them so hard in the *kitten* because they want every dime from the consumer.

sony still went the less greedier route, and in the end, based on the many positive responses from gamers and press, sony already can foresee profit, while microsoft can already tell they will have a very bumpy road in the next gen.

in the end, microsoft didn't change their mind to please gamers, they did it to salvage as much money they had already lost based on info they had released.

the fact that microsoft did this whole DRM BS in the first place, should not be forgotten
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I think its too late... They are already gave their customers the middle finger and are now backtracking because they realized their product is not untouchable. I already prefer playstation but I think those in the middle will be siding with ps4.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if this is pissing off the developers who were banking on them making money off the DRM. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose some exclusives do to some back tracking. Either way, I swore off MS after 2 360s RRoD, and them wanting me to pay $20 to replace a disk that was scratched by their crappy system. I'm sure the techology is better, but too late. PS4 and WiiU it remains.
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's too late for XboxOnetrickpony...

PS4 all the way....
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Microsoft's face when..

35nksf.jpg
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Both consoles will sell a ton and both Sony & Microsoft will be just fine.

Sony said they are announcing more games at Gamescon, so perhaps there are better AAA games on the horizon. I just don't want to hear about a bunch of games that *may* come out Holiday 2014. That's not giving me a reason to upgrade. They need some better exclusives for the launch window (well, for my taste anyway).

As it stands I have both consoles on pre-order. I could just buy them both and call it a day as I've always done, but I think this will be the first generation where I just pick one system.

And right now the X1 has the exclusives I want. The PS4 isn't showing me anything just yet (indie games look pointless for a next-gen console, Knack isn't for me, DriveClub isn't for me and Killzone isn't compelling me like in the past). Perhaps Gamescon will change that. Of course, I can make the argument to get neither console and to wait until Holiday 2014 when more of this stuff is developed. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Both consoles will sell a ton and both Sony & Microsoft will be just fine.

QFT... The amount of whining going on about these systems is too funny to me. :laugh: