Scrared! Start CF tomorrow @ 10a.m

Options
Please give me some advice and support!! no turning back, I will be walking into crossfit in the morning! All 200lbs of my fat self, I will prob be the fattest and most out of shape, but I can't keep using that as an excuse!

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I am close to 200lbs myself and I am LOVING CF!! The coaches and other athletes at my box are amazing and I feel like I "fit" there!

Don't, for one more second, worry about how much you weigh now and whether or not you will be the "fattest and most out of shape" person there!! That will NOT last for long so long as you give it your all each and every time you step foot in the gym!

Be open to learning all that you can, challenging yourself each day and, most important...having some fun!!

Looking forward to hearing about your first day!!!
  • kjtime
    kjtime Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on trying something new and putting yourself out there! I have great respect for anyone who walks into a crossfit gym for the first time and sticks with it. I have been at a crossfit gym for 6 months and love it. Hang in there and stay positive some days are better then others!
  • DanTheeMan
    DanTheeMan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All Normal Feelings...especially when your about to start something that will change your life! On my first day i walked in with my head down and back arched thinking this was going to be a big mistake. After finishing my one week of On-Ramp (and Advil-haha), I now walk in with my head up high, chest out and weight on my heels ready for today's WOD. Besides the physical changes that are comming, the biggest change is your new self confidence you will most certainly have. Congratulations and Welcome to Crossfit!
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind once you start to get to know people there. Ask about their healthy journey. I realized the other day that several of the "super fit" people at my box were all actually really out of shape when the start. Like 200lb+ down to 135lb women and men going for 40in+ waists to a six pack. The journey took them time (over a year or multiple years in most cases) but just realize that there is no reason to be intimidated.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What everyone said is 100% spot on. I'm a very overweight newbie, and while I know that I am slower and can't lift as much as others, it's not about others when I walk into that box. It's about ME. It's me challenging myself to do MY best and not someone else's idea of best.

It's your journey and what you make of it. I believe Crossfit will leave you feeling accomplished to where you will love it as much as we do!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What everyone said is 100% spot on. I'm a very overweight newbie, and while I know that I am slower and can't lift as much as others, it's not about others when I walk into that box. It's about ME. It's me challenging myself to do MY best and not someone else's idea of best.

It's your journey and what you make of it. I believe Crossfit will leave you feeling accomplished to where you will love it as much as we do!

I agree totally with this statement. Although I do often get caught up in what others are doing or how fast they are doing it, but i've gotten better at focusing on myself. And the sense of accomplishment and doing better than what you thought you could is a great feeling. That happened for me today during the WOD. I went into it nervous thinking I wasn't going to get too many rounds in, and I ended up totally surpassing what my perceved goal, even going so far as to finish a round after the time had elapsed just because I was feeling good and could! The full round didn't count for me since I finished after the time, be it was a victory for me :)
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Please give me some advice and support!! no turning back, I will be walking into crossfit in the morning! All 200lbs of my fat self, I will prob be the fattest and most out of shape, but I can't keep using that as an excuse!

Don't even worry about your weight. There are people of all shapes and sizes who do CF. There are several women who are WAY over 200lbs in my box alone and they are just doing what they can, scaling the workouts and working hard. You can do this! Let us know how it went!
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Last Saturday was my first day of CF! I walked in at 260lbs and have never felt more welcomed in my life! No judgment and a great workout! Half way through I was excited about coming back: :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    "Just do it. Even if you suck at it."

Keep in mind... EVERYONE in a CF Box has been last to finish a WOD at some point... everyone. CFers have been some of the most welcoming and supportive folks I've ever been around. If you go and they aren't... go to a different Box.

CF isn't about competing with others, it's about competing with yourself... making yourself into a better version of you. By opening the front door you have just completed the hardest lift in the building. Pulling on that handle takes guts, most people won't do it. Be proud of yourself.

As someone who has tried it all I can honestly say i will never go back to a Globo Gym ever again. I'm hooked on CF. I've never hurt so much, but felt so good.

Good Luck!

P.S. Watch out for the Kool-Aid... it's soooooo good. :drinker: